cats or dogs?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Cats or dogs?

cats
30%
dogs
57%
neither
13%

Total votes: 23

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

cats or dogs?

Postby Liesbeth » Tue May 31, 2005 9:28 am

I cannot believe we've never had this out in the open: cats or dogs?

Actually, right now I should really be feeding our friends' cats.I will make up the delay with 15 minute cuddles, which is quite something, being allergic to them.

I love cats for their independence and their grace. Never had the same feeling for dogs.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue May 31, 2005 10:11 am

Doggies are made of love. I think if you found the inside of love, you'd find a dog.

Cats can be very cute, especially the fuzzy ones with pink noses. I will never dislike them.

But doggies are your best friend. My Ozzie-Oz-box is my favorite person in the world. I can't think of anyone else I would bathe and pull ticks off of, or let in and out of the house 60 times a day. If something happened to my little retard, it would probably take me out of commission for a month.

Never felt that way about a cat.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Tue May 31, 2005 10:22 am

I think I prefer cats, though I have recently developed an unfortunate allergic reaction to them.

Brantley

Postby Brantley » Tue May 31, 2005 11:14 am

Pet rocks all the way.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Tue May 31, 2005 11:30 am

Dogs. Big Stupid Lumbering Frisbee/Tennis Ball Catching Slobbering Barking Curl Up With When Its Cold Dogs.

It should also be noted, that I am allergic to Cats.

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Tue May 31, 2005 3:53 pm

I cannot vote in this one, as the only correct answer is both. Cats can be more tempermental, particularly the females, and dogs are usually more independent (unless you include purse-dogs, which aren't real dogs :). Either way, if raised well, they both become very loyal and friendly, which is all you can really ask...

L u c y
Current Heading: South

Postby L u c y » Tue May 31, 2005 4:10 pm

I agree entirely, though I've owned neither.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue May 31, 2005 4:52 pm

i don't love an animal more than i love dogs. well, maybe squirrels, but it's hard to say. dogs are silly and cute, and i have a hard time getting enough of them. especially mutts. they're the silliest!

my doggie (who lives at my parents house) had a lump on her back removed on friday and then started licking at the stiches so it was a lampshade collar for her...it seems to have depressed her. poor stinky. she's still the prettiest fish ever.

i enjoy cats too. it's mostly their often obsessive owners (i used to work in a vet hospital) that annoy me. long-haired cats are my favorite, and my cat kittle is the most beautiful cat in the world.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Tue May 31, 2005 10:37 pm

for the record, I'd like to state that Chelsea is really only weird when she's talking about dogs and squirrels.

I like certain dogs and cats equally, though I must admit that neither animal really compels me to bring one into my home. Nice to visit with, though.

Jeroen

Postby Jeroen » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:43 am

Both would be my reaction too, but if a choice must be made, than let it be cats. They are just easier to care for and don't beg for attention all the time. Although dogs you can hug... still, Cats.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:09 am

I considered putting in the option for both, but didn't - wanted to make you choose.

Talk about hugging, I was nearly stifled this morning by cat Stevie, who within a year changed from totally aloof to biggest hug stealer ever.

Don't think I would have pets myself though, even if I wasn't allergic. I have this 'animals should live in the wild' idea, which I do realise is pretty unrealistic in this day and age where very little in our world is really natural.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:37 am

Liesbeth wrote:Don't think I would have pets myself though, even if I wasn't allergic. I have this 'animals should live in the wild' idea, which I do realise is pretty unrealistic in this day and age where very little in our world is really natural.

When people say that, I wonder what they mean by "natural". Isn't everything natural?

I had a friend who used to have issue with pets in general because he thought, say, keeping a dog was like keeping it a puppy forever....always playing, never learning the skills it needs to survive. I disagree. I think pets are very natural. I think dogs naturally form packs and naturally follow the strongest thing around them that isn't trying to kill them. And they are more sensitive than humans to your mood and feelings... when I'm feeling down, almost without question, my doggie is at my side snuggling. When I'm happy, it's tails a-waggin' fun time! When my mom broke her nose, he sat beside her for two weeks...just being there.

As for cats, I can't say as I was never allowed to have one as a child. A roommate had one once, and it mostly spent it's time uprooting my cacti and eating the other plants bare. It sometimes forgot to pull its tongue back into its mouth (which was cute beyond all reason.) I did learn that individual cats have thier own distinct personalities though. And boy do cats get embarassed easily (one backflip into a garbage can and you'd think the world had ended. drama queens.) That made them way better.

Mammals form emotional bonds with other mammals, those bonds are completly part of our nature. Dogs and kitties really do love love you back.

Of course, people that claim to "love" thier fish and turtles and stuff...that I do not understand. Reptiles cannot love you back, they don't respond to you emotionally....its a completely one way relationship.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:46 am

aj

Postby aj » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:01 am

evolution.

I have always been a dog person. I like what LSJ had to say:
Dogs. Big Stupid Lumbering Frisbee/Tennis Ball Catching Slobbering Barking Curl Up With When Its Cold Dogs.

Last summer I taught my dad's dog how to swim. It was probably the happiest day of my life. I don't think a child's first steps could compare. Of course, I was at the lake for an entire weekend of fishing, swimming, camping and the like, so that may have contributed to my euphoria.

That said, I'm getting two kittens in a few weeks. I have been accused of settling and I really must say that is probably entirely true. But I know I will love and obsess about them like every other cat freak. I will consider myself financially stable when I can have a dog. That will be the day that I have truly made it. I love cats, but I love the outdoors and an animal that will run around with me. Cats... not so much. But I miss having an indoor companion and as I haven't had time for the outdoors, blah, blah, you get the point. I love animals. Pretty much all of em.

I do waiver on the animals loving people thing. I'm almost positive that they do, but there is that whole "owner" is the provider of food and all things good and whoever provides that gets the love, regardless.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:17 am

The cool thing about dogs is the undying affection they have for you.

When you come home, your dog is the happiest thing in the world, runs to the door and gives you the look of...

"Man o man I never thought you were coming back... I'm SO happy right now. Let me tell you about my day. There was this squirrel outside and I barked at it, then it ran up a tree. So I went and chewed on that bone-toy thing for a while. Man I'm glad you're home. Lets play. I love you so much."

Cats tend to give you the look of...

"Dude, keep it down.... I'm trying to get some sleep"

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:44 am

aj wrote:I do waiver on the animals loving people thing. I'm almost positive that they do, but there is that whole "owner" is the provider of food and all things good and whoever provides that gets the love, regardless.

I give you exhibit A: Ozzie Oz Box
and Exhibit B, his sister: Maggie May

I don't feed them. My dad feeds them. They hover around him while he's making thier food (and they are spoiled little pups) then they come hang out with me. If the Ozbucket is chillin' in my dads lap, and I come home, he will leave my dads lap and come sit next to me. To which, my dad replies, "You little traitor! Who feeds you?!") He hangs out outside my door when I'm sleeping. All I give him is love. And my doggie most definarelt loves me back.

A geek I know once set up a web cam to watch his dog while he was at work. He turned it off after one day because what he saw was eight hours of despair. They get sad when you leave. That's why I can't have a doggie until I've got a stay-at-home-husband to keep him company.

the new math

Postby the new math » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:18 am

dogs....for a million reasons.

if you need proof, go HERE!

LikeAFox

Postby LikeAFox » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:21 am

Cats are okay for the first couple weeks, but after that they take over your home and give you this look of "yeah yeah, fuck you" whenever you try to stop them from doing something. Like destroy all your electrical cables.

I swear there was a time when I wish she'd make it down to the live wire, but I gave it to a coworker before that could happen.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:49 am

I suppose there's my 'natural vs man-made world' point: cats shouldn't be inside, it's in their nature to roam freely. So, they should be in places where there are no electrical cables, that way they won't have to chew on them.

I appreciate the bond people have with pets, and perhaps I'm even a bit jealous of it - we never had pets. But it also seems a bit like a bunch of flowers: lovely to have in a vase, but I absolutely prefer to see the flowers grow in the wild (or, well, a garden). So I vote for garden, really.

Michael's dog choice surprises me, I remember how on last year's exhausting LW tour he was complaining they wouldn't even have enough time at home for his cat to remember him.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:16 am

Liesbeth wrote:I suppose there's my 'natural vs man-made world' point: cats shouldn't be inside, it's in their nature to roam freely. So, they should be in places where there are no electrical cables, that way they won't have to chew on them.

I appreciate the bond people have with pets, and perhaps I'm even a bit jealous of it - we never had pets. But it also seems a bit like a bunch of flowers: lovely to have in a vase, but I absolutely prefer to see the flowers grow in the wild (or, well, a garden). So I vote for garden, really.

Michael's dog choice surprises me, I remember how on last year's exhausting LW tour he was complaining they wouldn't even have enough time at home for his cat to remember him.

I know the natural vs man-made is a complex question. I've often thought I should give it some serious thought. There is a school of thought that looks at plant and animal cultivation from the plants eye view... successful plant and animal species actually USE human beings and our nature to flourish.

For instance, there's really no natural reason why we have tulips and daffodils all over the world. Tulips are a successful species soley because humans desire beauty and will cultivate it. The same goes for many domesticated animals....the species benefits from a human desire and makes us breed them, or make them plentiful.

Also, I wouldn't say that pets are like flowers in a vase. It's not like we cut thier legs off and stickthem in a pile of food until they starve to death. They are more like houseplants...in soil...with roots. (then again, same guy who thinks pets are kept as puppies, thinks miracle grow is heroin for plants.)

I wonder, would the dog prefer to be in the wild, hungry most of the time and subject to the weather and predators, but not neutered and free to run whereever they please? I don't think I would like to be "freed" of my modern convienences, but who knows with dogs.....they certainly love being filthy dirty.

Return to “Cattywampus”