of montreal?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

of montreal?

Post by Liesbeth »

didn't I see them mentioned here before?
anyone want to tell me where I should start, seeing how they have a good many albums?
individual songs can be recommended as well, I'm in for any info.
Supernintendo Chalmers

Post by Supernintendo Chalmers »

Satanic Panic in the Attic is their second most recent album (I'm almost sure of this but the albums seem to come so quickly it's hard to keep up). It's among my favorite albums I bought this year (and on the recommendation of this board no less). You can download a bunch of mp3s from their site ofmontreal.net (including "Lysergic Bliss" which was the first Of Montreal song I ever heard and it blew my mind). Enjoy.
semi_retarded

Post by semi_retarded »

How grand. I am listening to them right now, so I couldn't help but post in here. I very very recently purchased The Sunlandic Twins, and it's really quite brilliant summer music. I enjoy them greatly.. and for the most part I believe it's just one guy. He's from Georgia, but he fell in love with a girl from Montreal. Hense, the name. I'm seriously in love.
To me, I hear... influences from The Beatles, Sondre Lerche, and even a touch of Queen.

The song I would suggest is "The Party's Crashing Us" it is wonderful walking music, and it literally makes your head swing back and forth and makes you feel like doing a choreographed dance sequence.
Others that are equally dancy would include: Requiem For O.M.M.2, and their single, Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games.

I'm really in love with the entire album and I would suggest it to anyone interested in what I just said. Bravo on coincedences.
nwheather

Post by nwheather »

I finally got to listen to some of their music on myspace and immediately asked to be their friends so I can find out when I can see them play. Fucking brilliant!
LikeAFox

Post by LikeAFox »

I just saw Of Montreal not too long ago. My socks were sufficiently rocked. I know they've released several albums in the past, but none have been as diverse as the last two (Satanic Panic and Sunlandic Twins). I'm partial to Satanic Panic, but I love the new wave/disco-y madness of the latest. From what I hear, the last two have been basically solo efforts, but they were more of a band in their infancy. Those first albums are even more 60s-sounding than the last two, and very concept driven. Easily some of the best pop around. Dig it.
sabirah

Post by sabirah »

I agree, try Satanic Panic in the Attic...it was one of my 2004 faves!
semi_retarded

Post by semi_retarded »

Okay.... okay... okay okay......
I CAN'T FIND MY COPY OF SUNLANDIC TWINS ANYWHERE and I've been without it for a week.
I feel like I'm losing my mind. It was sooo good and I was sin love and now I'm without and I can't take it!
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

A couple years ago I went through this major Elephant 6 collective listening binge and "got into" all those bands. Only a few still inhabit my cd players, and Of Montreal tops my list. Kevin Barnes is the man, he literally does everything on those albums and just tours with friends from other E6 bands, like Elf Power, Olivia Tremor Control, etc. The Sunlandic Twins was a lot of fun, but definitely not as strong as Satanic Panic In the Attic. And those two albums are so very different from the earlier works. Mr. Barnes was really anti-drum machine, synths and all sorts of new-wave technologies, and believed to a point that music died after the 60's. So all his earleir works have that feel to it. Then apparently he had some revelation and has totally embraced new forms of music (including hip-hip, I've read). This cleary is reflected in the latest two albums, which in my opinion, are even stronger.

Off Sunlandic Twins, I was reccomend "Forcast Fascist Future", "The Party's Crashing Us", and "Oslo In The Summertime". Satanic is pretty strong all the way through.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

thanks for all your suggestions, but I must say that the expectations raised by listening to a bunch of 30 second clips didn't quite survive listening to whole songs... although I prefer Satanic Panic over the beats of Sunlandic Twins