Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Laura Suzanne
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the city by the City

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Postby Laura Suzanne » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:28 pm

It's weird, it's beautiful, it's hilarious.

Go see it.

User avatar
c-dog
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:43 pm
Location: Florida

Postby c-dog » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:32 pm

I agree.

User avatar
Betty Felon
Posts: 1779
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:15 pm
Location: miserable degrees fahrenheit
Contact:

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:14 pm

hmmm...I agree that it was lovely. But it wasn't nearly Tim Burton'd out enough for me.

Everyone was calling it so creepy and weird, and I must be desensitized to weird because I didn't even notice it. I thought it was far less creepy than the original. As far as Im concerned, no one is creepier than Gene Wilder. Maybe Tim Curry.

I laughed quite a bit, but after all the hype I was a bit disappointed.

The squirrels, however, rocked.

Laura Suzanne
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the city by the City

Postby Laura Suzanne » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:14 pm

I didn't find it creepy, but I did find Wonka
enjoyably awkward. And the puppets?! Ha!

Good morning, Starshine, the Earth says 'Hello!'

User avatar
heather
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:58 pm
Location: the 206
Contact:

Postby heather » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:05 pm

BOOOO!

Laura Suzanne
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the city by the City

Postby Laura Suzanne » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:14 pm

Tell us how you really feel, Heather!

[What was your least favorite thing
about it?]

User avatar
chelsea
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:53 pm
Location: Queen Anne Hill
Contact:

Postby chelsea » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:33 pm

Betty Felon wrote:The squirrels, however, rocked.


that's probably because squirrel friends are the best friends.

User avatar
Forrest
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:29 pm
Location: Charm School

Postby Forrest » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:57 am

chelsea wrote:
Betty Felon wrote:The squirrels, however, rocked.


that's probably because squirrel friends are the best friends.


Don't let Heather hear you say that. She's got beef with squirrels like you wouldn't believe.

User avatar
Flyn
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Ballard
Contact:

Postby Flyn » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:30 am

Fight! Fight! Fight!

User avatar
heather
Posts: 801
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:58 pm
Location: the 206
Contact:

Postby heather » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:35 am

Laura Suzanne wrote:Tell us how you really feel, Heather!

[What was your least favorite thing
about it?]



EVERYTHING about the oompa loompas. veruca salt wasn't nearly as bitchy as she should have been. it never got really creepy! it made me sad.

Laura Suzanne
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the city by the City

Postby Laura Suzanne » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:02 am

I liked the Oompa Loompa songs, but I wasn't wild
about their costumes.

Mostly I liked the humor. It matched my own sense
of humor very nicely. But, I think part of the reason
I like the movie in general is I am not attached to the
first one. I read the book when I was small, but I only
saw the movie two or three times in my whole life. So,
I wasn't as able to make a comparison.

User avatar
c-dog
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:43 pm
Location: Florida

Postby c-dog » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:38 pm

But, I think part of the reason
I like the movie in general is I am not attached to the
first one. I read the book when I was small, but I only
saw the movie two or three times in my whole life. So,
I wasn't as able to make a comparison.


I think that has a lot to do with it. My friend who is obsessed with the first one and was looking forward to seeing the new one so much that she had it on her calendar since January - was terribly disappointed. And, she read the book for the first time this spring at the age of 28 and didn't like that either.....

i'm just glad they got new oompa loompa songs....however I do miss the snozzberries.....

User avatar
Betty Felon
Posts: 1779
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:15 pm
Location: miserable degrees fahrenheit
Contact:

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:15 am

I wasn't particularly obsessed with original movie, and I thought Tim Burton and Roald Dahl would be perfect together.

But the movie was so glossed over and stupid sentimental subplot about wonka's life story felt really cheap. I wanted Willy Wonka to be much more insane and creepy and mean, instead he's just an overgrown child.

I have to say, however, that its worth seeing in the theater for some of the amazing visual effects. And I remember laughing a lot, though I can't remember at what.

User avatar
chelsea
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:53 pm
Location: Queen Anne Hill
Contact:

Postby chelsea » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:15 am

Flyn wrote:Fight! Fight! Fight!


when it comes right down to it, it'd be better for heather and me to fight than a pair of squirrels. squirrel fights can get nasty. i have first hand knowledge.

A Brutaful Smile
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA (sorta)

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:29 pm

we saw it at the IMAX and i thought it was awesome. it's not really a movie you need to see at the IMAX but i wanted to. i hated willy wonka (the "original"), i thought it was creepy and it totally did not appeal to me but i LOVED this one. now i can't wait for it to come out on DVD so i can watch it over and over and over.

i would like to point out that johnny depp never plays a character that would be considered normal. there's always something weird or odd about the ones he plays. i think for his role of a lifetime he should play something like a suburban mini-van driving dad of 2. now if he could pull that off, i would really be impressed.

User avatar
BladeRunner
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:24 pm
Location: Los Santos
Contact:

Postby BladeRunner » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:43 pm

A Brutaful Smile wrote:there's always something weird or odd about the ones he plays.


Even Pvt. Gator Lerner?

Image

A Brutaful Smile
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:58 pm
Location: Seattle, WA (sorta)

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:34 am

BladeRunner wrote: Even Pvt. Gator Lerner?


ya know, i haven't seen that movie in a long time so i don't remember. but that was way at the beginning of his career....i'm gonna say it doesn't count.... ;)

User avatar
BladeRunner
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:24 pm
Location: Los Santos
Contact:

Postby BladeRunner » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:58 pm

I don't know, he looked pretty stoned to me.

User avatar
Squid
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:52 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Postby Squid » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:04 pm

Saw it today. If you see it as an entity unto itself, it's perfectly fine...but I *fully realize* that's because I have no sentimental attachment to the original. If I did, I would probably have been pretty ticked off, though I think Burton was purposefully trying to make a different film. I did a lot of LOLing at Depp's snarkiness. Also, I just adore that kid. Good god, he's beautiful. He stole the show in Finding Neverland, and he did really well in this too. I think it rocks that Johnny Depp thought enough of him to help him get the part in Wonka. Talk about finding the golden ticket! I'd say having JD lobbying on your behalf comes pretty damn close.

And if you think I'm being too nice about the film, don't worry, you'll have your revenge - The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe comes out in December and I am already irritated just from watching the trailer. They're totally going to break my heart on this one, I can feel it.

User avatar
Unremarkable
Posts: 1166
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:09 am
Current Heading: East
Location: Kennewick?

Postby Unremarkable » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:28 pm

Squid wrote: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe comes out in December and I am already irritated just from watching the trailer. They're totally going to break my heart on this one, I can feel it.


Irritated? Really? I was near giddy.


Return to “Cattywampus”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest