Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:15 am

Me too! I read The Lion, the Withch, and the Wardrobe
several times as a child, and the trailer had me bouncing
in my seat.

[Just be grateful you weren't there to see it.]

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:32 am

Unremarkable wrote:
Squid wrote: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe comes out in December and I am already irritated just from watching the trailer. They're totally going to break my heart on this one, I can feel it.

Irritated? Really? I was near giddy.

I think the Pevensies look too young. Lucy especially. Maybe it's just because I started reading them when I was four or five so the kids seemed utterly older than me? IMHO, it's crucial to the plot structuring, so I'm a little wary.

I'm also not digging that the trailer seems like, as it was described by BBC, "Railway Children meets LOTR", and that so much focus is put on the battle. There is SO much other stuff I hope they're not leaving out, scenes that give you insight into the children's personalities.* These are the building blocks of the characters in the movies to come, much as they have been with the Harry Potter series.

Anyway, don't mean to sound so curmudgeonly. And they can have growing pains with the first two, as my favorite is <i>Voyage of the Dawn Treader</i>. Reepicheep Lives!

*I can write several feet of text on this, and I would totally indulge myself, except that I'd like to keep you all as pen pals and not have you nervously wondering if perhaps some sort of mood-altering drug wasn't in order. I adore these books, you see...

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:20 pm

the V for Vendetta trailer makes me cry.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:12 am

BladeRunner wrote:the V for Vendetta trailer makes me cry.

why? I don't know the comics, but it looks fascinating to me.

And while we are bringing up all the movies...Please don't go and see War of the Worlds. I have no idea how this movie got a single nod. It was unbelievably stupid and I thought it would never end.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:21 pm

because...

1) It's the Wachowski's are doing it. The only good thing they ever made was the original Matrix. The sequels were so convoluted yet so contrived, that the only enjoyment you could take from the sequels, was the action.

2) Alan Moore himself disapproved of the film adaptation that was written by the Wachowski brothers. The man has been burnt before with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and I'm pretty sure he would of much rather prefered to have some control of the final product (something more along the lines of Frank Miller/ Sin City).

From what I understand, it's the Wachowski brothers shitting all over V for Vendetta so the studio can cash-in (again) on comic adaptations, while the Wachowski's can say they did something else other then the Matrix.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:47 pm

They edited out the anarchy.

Mentions of anarchy have been expunged from the script.

That's the word on the street, anyway.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:52 pm

For those who are unfamiliar with the comic, this is a problem in that the main character, known only as V, describes himself as the living embodiment of anarchy. Devotion to anarchy is his only motivation.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:20 am

BladeRunner wrote:2) Alan Moore himself disapproved of the film adaptation that was written by the Wachowski brothers. The man has been burnt before with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and I'm pretty sure he would of much rather prefered to have some control of the final product (something more along the lines of Frank Miller/ Sin City).

Alan Moore has been quoted several times as not ever interested in adaptations of his work. Especially recently. Check this link from his fan site which explains a lot. If you poke around on the site, a few news items up, you'll see that some folks have had a look at the screenplay, and judge it horrendous.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:20 pm

well I kinda assumed that anyway, so yeah.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:35 am

But if you poke around a little more, you might come across J Michael Strazinski's review/defense of the screenplay and the film itself, despite the idiotic Producer. I just finished reading V for Vendetta, and I cannot see how you would make the film without taking liberties with the source. Much like in any adaptation.

The good news is, the Watchmen film has been tabled!

Squid

Postby Squid » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:05 pm

Since this sort of unofficially became our movie thread for a second, I'm going to implore you to see The Aristocrats. It's totally offensive in the best way possible.

(In fact, there were actually people that walked out of theatre, which kills me. Because imho, a documentary about the dirtiest joke of all time doesn't hold a CANDLE to the obscenity that is "Rock Star: INXS". But I'm weird like that...)

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:24 pm

Squid wrote:Since this sort of unofficially became our movie thread for a second, I'm going to implore you to see The Aristocrats. It's totally offensive in the best way possible.

(In fact, there were actually people that walked out of theatre, which kills me. Because imho, a documentary about the dirtiest joke of all time doesn't hold a CANDLE to the obscenity that is "Rock Star: INXS". But I'm weird like that...)

i read about that movie recently but wasn't sure if it was something i'd want to see. the review was a little hard to follow.

and just so you, i'm only watching "Rock Star: INXS" because someone i know is on it, okay?!?!? i swear i only planned to tune in to "check out" that first episode but when i spotted marty it was all over from there. i've had to watch every damn episode...

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:10 am

A Brutaful Smile wrote:i read about that movie recently but wasn't sure if it was something i'd want to see. the review was a little hard to follow...

The review in The Buffalo News explained that if you don't like dirty, raunchy, disgusting and grotesque humor (or don't think you could take that for 90 minutes), do not see this film. Its not for you, and you know who "you" are. That just made me want to see it.

Return to “Cattywampus”