albums for free

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

albums for free

Post by Squid »

One of my favorite albums of all time is available online for free. From The Court and Spark newsletter:

<i>Also, we are making the entirety of Boxharp's "The Tailored Soldier" available for free on the <b>Store</b> page. For those not in the know, "The Tailored Soldier" was collaboration between recordist Scott Solter and M.C. Taylor, put to tape on a ranch in the Arizona's Tonto National Forest and completed with C&S friends and family here in San Francisco. Take it, it's yours.</i>

Yeah, so it was basically a side project of some of the main folks in TC&S, quieter, spacier, clunkier, more whimsical, gorgeous. If you like TC&S, or you're into the whole Americana thing in general, I highly recommend it.

Anyone else know of some entire albums for free? Of course you do. Fess up!
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

The new Harvey Danger record is scheduled to be downloadable for free on its release date at the end of September.
sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by sour29 »

Whoa! Neat!
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

John wrote:The new Harvey Danger record is scheduled to be downloadable for free on its release date at the end of September.

But what if we *want* to pay?

I'd feel guilty taking it for free when people worked so hard on it.
L u c y
Current Heading: South

Post by L u c y »

we'll get to throw them money once they agree to do a nationwide tour.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

John wrote:The new Harvey Danger record is scheduled to be downloadable for free on its release date at the end of September.

Those hippies! ;)
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

That just means more money for merch!
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

I assumed this was covered over on the Harvey site. Is it not? Well, the plan is for a full coverart version, including a bonus disk, to go on sale for people who want to buy it. And a PayPal button for folks who want to contribute a little something. Don't hold out for a national tour, though.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

John wrote:I assumed this was covered over on the Harvey site. Is it not?

It wasn't, at least not completely. They had overtly hinted at it though.
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

John wrote:I assumed this was covered over on the Harvey site. Is it not? Well, the plan is for a full coverart version, including a bonus disk, to go on sale for people who want to buy it. And a PayPal button for folks who want to contribute a little something. Don't hold out for a national tour, though.

I think they were trying to keep it under wraps till next week. But we won't tell them you said it. Will we guys?
L u c y

Post by L u c y »

I won't tell if J-Rod can get us a copy of the HD ebay auction song. please?
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Oh Christ.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

L u c y wrote:I won't tell if J-Rod can get us a copy of the HD ebay auction song. please?

Lucy, its not nice to blackmail rockstars.
L u c y

Post by L u c y »

I know, but sometimes it's worth trying
Squid

Post by Squid »

So a study seems to be indicating that most people are downloading Radiohead's new album for free:

Nearly two-thirds of downloaders paid nothing for Radiohead's latest album, a survey has suggested. Fans were invited to put their own price on the 10 MP3 files that made up In Rainbows, from nothing to £100. But internet monitoring company Comscore found that only 38% of downloaders willingly paid to do so.

Now me, I'm not a big fan, so I don't have any emotional stake in this - but I'm wondering what others think? Is it a further indication of society's decaying moral fabric? Or is it what rich hoity-toity indieartbands* types deserve for thwarting the status quo?

* oh stop, i'm just winding you up, darling...
icapants

Post by icapants »

Without looking at the link, I have a feeling the data is a bit skewed because what I've been hearing is that people are downloading it and if they like it, they'll go back after the fact and kick in a few bucks. But the people that aren't paying, well if the option is to pay what you want and they pay 0, they're following the rules... It seems unfair to come down on those people or to say the idea of a pay what you want system is bad when they were just following the guidelines set before them.

I think the whole "pay what you want" idea is good in theory, but it will take some time before they (whoever they are) work out the kinks in the system to make it work really well. I know Saul Williams is releasing his next album in a similar fashion - giving 192 kb mp3s for free, but if you want HQ or lossless, it's $5.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

Don't Radiohead have this thing where you can get an actual cd with swag later? So isn't it likely that there are also people among those 62% who didn't pay for the download because they are already paying for their super package? I mean, I didn't donate when I downloaded the Harvey Danger album because I also bought the cd, just a bit later when I had the money.
Flyn

Post by Flyn »

I was wondering what percentage of people did just what Ica said; I suppose there's not really any way to find out, but I'm sure it was at least a portion of the downloaders. I have to think that the buyers of the super package are somehow included in the numbers, or else this is kinda silly; pre-orders of said package included a link for early download.
I think the more interesting question is: Aren't they still making significantly more money per album, on average, than they would on a cd?
icapants

Post by icapants »

From eonline.com:
Radiohead essentially needs to make $1.50 per download to break even, Lipsman estimates, so at $6 per buyer, the group still looks to make out pretty well with the scheme.

"The question is: How will new artists be able to use this [pay what you like] model in the future if they haven't built a fan base in the millions in the years leading up to the release of their album under [this] model?" said Michael Laskow, CEO of TAXI, a leading independent Artist and Repertoire firm.

Lipsman also pointed out that for every dollar consumers spent on download sales, they also spent $2 on Radiohead's $80 deluxe box set, which includes a free In Rainbows download, as well as a physical CD of the album, a bonus disc of eight additional tracks, vinyl records, a lyric book. The package is due to ship Dec. 3.

Another site noted that they are making 2.24 (average) on every album that has been downloaded. I'm not familiar with the dollar breakdown for an album... is this good?