So? Plans?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Yarn

So? Plans?

Post by Yarn »

What's everyone's thoughts on the new Death Cab album?

It holds up to my expectations, definitely. Not every track is killer, but I haven't found that on any album. And then of course there are brilliant songs. I'm pretty happy.
sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by sour29 »

Some of the songs are really, really, really good. Others fall flat, no matter how much I listen to them. It has a handful of my new favourite Death Cab songs, but as an album, it's probably my least favourite.

PS. Stability > Stable Song
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

I like it better much better than Transatlanticism. Plans not my favorite album, but it's good to see Death Cab can still make good music.
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I agree with Unremarkable: I like Plans better than Transatlanticism, while it is not my favorite album. Sour has good points too, there are songs on there that just...don't work. Marching Bands Of Manhattan, Crooked Teeth, I Will Follow You Into The Dark and (of course) Soul Meets Body seem to be the early standouts.
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

I'm a big fan of Crooked Teeth. Good tunes.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

LoveSickJerk wrote: Marching Bands Of Manhattan, Crooked Teeth, I Will Follow You Into The Dark and (of course) Soul Meets Body seem to be the early standouts.
That's about right. Although I do really like the bass riff on Someday You Will Be Loved.
icapants

Post by icapants »

It seems that my opinion depends on the day of the week, but I think that offically last night I decided that I like it. Transatlanticism was something of a let down for me, so I was pretty worried about Plans. Overall, it's pretty good. I think I've been trying to look at it as a stand alone album and not as "the new death cab for cutie album", you know? Too much pressure for it that way.

Some of the lyrics feel a bit wonky, but musically they sound wonderful. My favorites seem to be the same as everybody else: Marching Bands, Crooked Teeth, I Will Follow You..., and I'm really liking Brothers on a Hotel Bed.

Apparently it entered the Billboard Charts at number 4. Crazy.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

LoveSickJerk wrote: Marching Bands Of Manhattan, Crooked Teeth, I Will Follow You Into The Dark and (of course) Soul Meets Body seem to be the early standouts.

word. i like the music to "someday you will be loved," but not the lyrics.
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

I agree with the general opinion here. It's a good album, and I am in no way let-down. But it's not my favorite either. I still hold up The Photoalbum and Facts as the best.
icapants

Post by icapants »

Yarn wrote:I agree with the general opinion here. It's a good album, and I am in no way let-down. But it's not my favorite either. I still hold up The Photoalbum and Facts as the best.

Yessss photo album, oh yesssssss. My precious!
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

chelsea wrote:

word. i like the music to "someday you will be loved," but not the lyrics.

I agree with you and Sour: the music is what makes that track. The lyrics, are a little uninspiring but at least they're not "time takes time you know"
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

Mmm, well said!