help! karaoke nightmare!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

help! karaoke nightmare!

Post by Betty Felon »

Oh geez...when someone told me I should practice singing karaoke for Japan, I didn't take the warning seriously. I've just been informed that there is an important meeting on Sept. 29th that includes a dinner and karaoke pati, after.

I am required to sing THREE songs. (endless, endless, karaoke, they love it.)

Everyone here can sing. They practice thier karaoke, I am not exaggerating. They take it very seriously. I can't sing and I get super nervous in front of people.

Help! I need at least three easy, classic (to be sure they have them) songs that I can sing in front of older people. Preferrably of limited range and simple lyrics as I plan to be drunk.

Please help!
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

When in doubt, sing "Just What I Needed"
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

cannot go wrong with The Beatles
and how about Girls just wanna have fun? don't know if they will get the point - or if they will, if it does credit to your reputation.

anyway, I thought you prepared yourself for Japan, how could you have missed the significance of Karaoke. Don't you know that cliches are nearly always true. I mean, Americans, barbecue, right? How many of you haven't had a single barbie this summer?
nwheather

Post by nwheather »

Liesbeth wrote:...How many of you haven't had a single barbie this summer?

Um...*raises hand*
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

nwheather wrote:

Um...*raises hand*

Oh that's just wrong.

I'd also see if you could do a Billy Joel song. He's not too complicated, and you might get help from the Piano Man choruses. I can't wait to find out how this ends up!
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

LoveSickJerk wrote:
nwheather wrote:

Um...*raises hand*

Oh that's just wrong.

I'd also see if you could do a Billy Joel song. He's not too complicated, and you might get help from the Piano Man choruses. I can't wait to find out how this ends up!

I'm ok with most Billy Joel, but the Piano Man *shudder* stuff of my nightmares.

Thank for the suggestions guys. keep em coming. (I'm sure my roommate will appreciate my practicing. She already thinks I'm a nut because I walk around the apartment repeating conversations from my language tapes..."Are you going to eat something? No, I'm going to drink something. Right now? No, later.")

I know, I know Liesbeth, I really should have prepared. I guess I thought I could find an excuse not to go. I never imagined it would be a company business thing.

I've heard of americans here choosing rap and the japanese are all like "ooooooo really fast English!" but that would be significantly more embarassing than its already going to be.
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

If you aren't comfortable singing, I would recomend some late 80s pop-rap such as Ice, Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice. No singing talent needed... and people tend to giggle at the song instead of how you sound.

Or maybe a little Just a Friend by Biz Markie... you're SUPPOSED to sound bad on that one.
grant
wears the boots

Post by grant »

OK, easy. Use "With or Without You" by U2 and use the music to sing the verses to "Just What I Needed" by the Cars, "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey and "So Lonely" by the Police.

It's all the same progression.

I think I did that my first time singing in front of people by myself, and it seemed to work OK.

Or, you could learn a Guitar Wolf song. I'd love to see how that'd go.

(They're basically the Japanese Ramones -- who might also be fun, if the karaoke people have any.)
c-dog

Post by c-dog »

Baby Got Back - best song to karaoke to - ever.
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

my thought is a go-go's song or a joan jet song or possibly any 80's hair "metal". how about wham? :)
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

You must be warned though, if you sing some Journey, you must be prepared for a freakout, because let's not kid ourselves, the Japanese love Journey.
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

Boston - More Than A Feeling :)
the new girl

Post by the new girl »

At happy hour tonight, it was suggested that we could karoke to Hanson's Mmm Bop... I'm not sure if it was serious or not, or if it's in heavy rotation on the Japanese karoke circuit, but thankfully the bar didn't have karoke...
grant
wears the boots

Post by grant »

So how did this turn out?
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

This is happening on the 29th (of september). So I have another week of stomache twisting dread.

Funny, I'm not the slightest bit nervous about the actual important meeting and serious presentation part of it all. Just the karaoke.

But the longer I'm here, the more ok it gets.

Common sense tell us that getting drunk and singing loud pop songs infront of my superiors is not a good career move. But everything is all topsy turvy over on this side of the planet, and at company events even the board of directors gets completely wasted.

(At one dinner the CEO kept trying to convince the poor waitress that I was his daughter and that I was Japanese (I couldn't look more white). At another dinner we were served by Meiko (Geisha-in-training) and they kneel in front of your table and serve you beer/sake/etc. One of the board members got drunk and started kneeling in front of people saying "I am Yoshi-Meiko, let me pour you some beer." )

Alcohol makes you awesome. Maybe, just maybe, this won't be so bad.
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

I have faith in you.

Back in the day, I used to watch the Natural before baseball games to get myself pumped up.

Maybe you can watch that Huey Lewis/Gwenny Paltrow movie and get the same effect?
KarissaEB

Post by KarissaEB »

Billy Joel = awesome karaoke. Hope it went well for you!
c-dog

Post by c-dog »

What's your ju-hachi-ban?
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

good luck, betty!
knock 'em dead (well, not too dead)
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

c-dog wrote:What's your ju-hachi-ban?

I dont have a juhachiban, which is part of the problem. I haven't sung outside of my own head in maybe years. And, uh....I haven't practiced at all either (how can you practice when you live with paperthin walls and everyone knows where the gaijin lives?)

thanks for the support guys. I was thinking I might go with "You Can't Hurry Love" or "Downtown".

And a good trick is to choose the most standby Beatles song you can find and everyone will immediately join in. Of course, my favorite Beatles songs are "She loves you" and "Oh Yoko", not exactly the most popular.

I'll just have to wing it. Maybe if I get really drunk, I'll bust out "Turning Japanese" and offend everyone:

No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women
No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark
Everyone around me is a total stranger
Everyone avoids me like a cyclone ranger
That's why I'm turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so....