you should probably join JET

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

you should probably join JET

Post by Betty Felon »

This is a public service annoucement: Are you just out of college? Do you have a B.A.? Would you like to extend the college experience without incuring more debt and travel the world? Join JET.

Seriously, I meet a LOT of JETs. Japan imports them by the thousands.

From what I can gather: It's like college, only you get paid. And there's no homework.

JET officially stands for Japan Exchange and Teaching Program. Its a government program that imports English speakers to teach in Junior High Schools all over Japan. No experience necessary. The pay is more than decent (and tax free) and you get giant chunks of vacation time several times a year perfect for, say, a trip to Australia. Or Korea. Guam. Thailand. Europe. Machu Picchu.

You should probably do it.
sabirah

Post by sabirah »

Wow, that is amazing timing. A good friend of mine and I were discussing how we'd like to live in Japan for awhile. She's an architect and I'm a landscape architect so we want to be there for awhile to study the culture and learn the language. But we figured it would be next to impossible to find a job when neither of us knew Japanese. But this sounds like an amazing opportunity! Thanks for passing this on!
Squid

Post by Squid »

I think the real question here is: do the Japanese want me anywhere near their bright minds of tomorrow?

That's what I thought. ;P
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I agree squid, most Americans don't want me near any minds (bright or otherwise) of tomorrow!
Jeannette311
Location: Screaming for Medicine Cabinet Pirate at a TLW gig near you!

Post by Jeannette311 »

I know someone who did that for three years. He loved it.
dchris

Re: you should probably join JET

Post by dchris »

I was halfway through the post before I realized you weren't making some smartass comments about a mediocre rock band.

That sounds great, though, Betty. I take it that you're having a wonderful experience!
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

Do you have to speak Japanese?
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

It's the learning-Japanese-part that gets me.
Fi

Post by Fi »

If you come to Australia, you'll see that there are better bands than Jet. Promise.
Betty Felon

Re: you should probably join JET

Post by Betty Felon »

dchris wrote:I was halfway through the post before I realized you weren't making some smartass comments about a mediocre rock band.

That sounds great, though, Betty. I take it that you're having a wonderful experience!

I have to agree that Jet (the band) is mediocre. I bought that lame cd and ended up giving it to my baby brother. :(

I'm not in JET (the band or the program). I work for an importer. Which means I work longer hours in the exciting world of endotracheal tubes, and don't have massive amounts of vacation. I am way jealous of the JETs.

Oh and to answer questions:

1. No Japanese is necessary. In fact, they like it better if you don't know any, or know just a little bit.

Unfortunately really, many JETs spend a few years in Japan and never learn anything but greetings and how to order a beer in Japanese. You can learn, but it takes serious effort.

2. Its important that you join JET and not and English teaching school like (Nova, ECC, Geos, etc.) the JETS make twice as much money and the real attraction is all the free time. The English schools don't have that vacation and they pay crap.
sabirah

Post by sabirah »

Fi...do you live in Sydney? Oooh, I need to talk to you! I'm looking at moving to Sydney soon!

And yes, they do have fabulous music...I agree!
Gardner

Post by Gardner »

i knew someone who did something similar and he hadn't even mastered english...let alone learn japanese!
sabirah

Post by sabirah »

I was just thinking that after reading a little on the JET thing that it requests you know English fairly well and I...well....I spelled maybe as mabey till I was in 8th grade....

This is why I have a career more along the art path...
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

sabirah wrote:I was just thinking that after reading a little on the JET thing that it requests you know English fairly well and I...well....I spelled maybe as mabey till I was in 8th grade....

This is why I have a career more along the art path...

Oh, don't let that stop you. It's not like anyone actually learns English.

Your job is to be perceived as cool to junior high school students.
dchris

Post by dchris »

Betty Felon wrote:Your job is to be perceived as cool to junior high school students.

You mean somewhere in the world there's someone who'll think I'm cool?

I'm actually about six months away from graduating with a degree that's good for little else besides teaching English overseas. Hmm.
sabirah

Post by sabirah »

Hmmm....
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Fi wrote:If you come to Australia, you'll see that there are better bands than Jet. Promise.

Stephen Page of Barenaked Ladies fame, had this to say on one of his blogs about Jet: "They try to sound so much like the Beatles, that they sound like Oasis!"*

*Parapharased
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

I totally want to do this. I'd have to graduate first of course though...
Fi

Post by Fi »

sabirah wrote: I'm looking at moving to Sydney soon!

You should come on over.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

dchris wrote:
Betty Felon wrote:Your job is to be perceived as cool to junior high school students.

You mean somewhere in the world there's someone who'll think I'm cool?

I'm actually about six months away from graduating with a degree that's good for little else besides teaching English overseas. Hmm.

You should do it. It looks good on a resume too.

The application process starts in November for postions starting next July, I believe.

I don't have first hand experience with the application process, but from what I've heard, its a little bit competative. So take the process seriously, read up on it, and demonstrate interest in teaching and in Japan.

They will ask you why you want to teach in Japan and not China.

(Of course, if you'd rather teach in China there are very lucrative opportunities there as well. I don't know if they offer the same kind of awesome chunks of vacation though...which is the real sparkle of the program IMO.)