6 months on the LW board...

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

zach

6 months on the LW board...

Postby zach » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:39 am

So, this day begins the second 6 months of my membership on this "Elec-Tronic Salon & Discussion Table." In those first 6 months I checked this forum (probably) an average of once a day, but still managed only to post 50 messages. This is a little disheartening because somehow I think that the number of posts = units of fandom, and my small number doesn't adequately represent my passion for this band... these next 6 months, though, promise to bring retribution.

Also, thank you. Everyone. For being a part of my daily schedule and a positive addition to my life.

(Ugh. I didn't mean for this to be so sappy.) Meh. Submit.

51!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:33 am

aw, not sappy, maybe a little over-earnest. but everyone loves over-earnest. it's the antidote to irony.

6 months! well well.... you've reached a milestone. We'll tell you the 1st secret under the full moon at midnight. Wear a toga.

The only thing a high number posts only means is that you can't keep your mouth shut. I haven't even ordered my EP yet. Or my penguin button.

But your sentiments about the band and the board are echoed here. We all know what you mean. And you are a part of it. thanks zach.

love,

Chatty Cathy

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:53 am

Yeah, I've been coming here since May 2003, and I just broke 300 last night.

Jeannette311
Location: Screaming for Medicine Cabinet Pirate at a TLW gig near you!

Postby Jeannette311 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:22 am

I tend to have the same problems on message boards as I do in real life. That is, I never shut up.

Happy six-month anniversary!

Yarn

Postby Yarn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:33 pm

Internet message boards about bands, this is how we spend our time . . .

The question is: What would the "Greatest Generation" have to say?

Edit: oooh la la, I broke a years membership 3 days ago. Thanks for causing me to check!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:46 pm

Yeah, OK -- I've been coming here since May, but only signed up in December...so it hasn't QUITE been the 2yr anniversary yet. That makes me feel a bit better.

Jeannette311
Location: Screaming for Medicine Cabinet Pirate at a TLW gig near you!

Postby Jeannette311 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:09 pm

I've been a member of another community for over 2 years now. Although I really don't go there to much anymore.

ChadyzGroove

Postby ChadyzGroove » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:21 am

i was one of the first few to join the board and i mainly lurk too, and i consider myself to be a huge fan, anyone who thinks i'm not gets the superfinger

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:45 am

to be quite honest, I sometimes wished there weren't any post counts listed on this board - fanhood isn't measured by how much you post. It says more about how much time you spend on Cattywampus stuff, and whether you have broadband Internet!
I'm on an average of 1,5 post a day, which is pretty ridiculous. Okay, so I do read the board almost every day, and more than once a day at times... but still.

Anyway, glad you like it here, Zach.

Squid

Re: 6 months on the LW board...

Postby Squid » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:44 am

zach wrote:Also, thank you. Everyone. For being a part of my daily schedule and a positive addition to my life. (Ugh. I didn't mean for this to be so sappy.) Meh. Submit. 51!

Sappy? Not even. I've made some of my best friends on music interweb lists. I've now been there for marriages, births, divorces, promotions, you name it. It is a wondrous thing to be able to connect to people, globally, that you never would've known otherwise. And to make it happen through music? Even better.

NerfHerder

Postby NerfHerder » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:49 am

Kudos to the lot of you.

51 posts, a lifetime, a second and a half...we're all here now and thats good enough for me.

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:59 pm

Wait, how long have I been here...wow. A year and a half as of my birthday. I can't believe I've posted here 130 times. It seems like I hardly ever do.

Post counts are incidental, as far as I'm concerned, and anyone who uses them to measure anything other than number of posts is assuming something. And you know what they say:

When you assume, you make an ass out of you and...well, just you.

Congrats, Zach. Anniversary party? Your place? Mojitos? (I've been wanting to try one.)

sabirah

Postby sabirah » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:36 pm

Yeah for the longest time I totally just lurked and then one day I finally decided to actually make a profile. Then, just this last summer I broke a year and still not that many posts really. So it's definitely not a measure of fandom because I would be quite sad indeed...

But I agree about meeting people through things like this. I've met some of my best friends through things like this. It's really cool when you can get together and talk with people that have similar interests. Music is a huge one too. When someone has the same taste in music as you its like you know you can totally hang out and be on the same wavelength about many other things.

Yes, the board is a wonderful thing...

sabirah

Postby sabirah » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:37 pm

Oooh Mojitos...I'm down (or up, in map terms)

zach

Postby zach » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:12 am

Wait--Heather--are you in Oklahoma? How are you going to get to my place?

And yes?

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:36 am

zach wrote:Wait--Heather--are you in Oklahoma? How are you going to get to my place?

Good point. I'll have it here, then.

And yes?

As uncertain as your answer is, I am even less certain of the question. To what are you assenting here?

zach

Postby zach » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:46 am

nwheather wrote:To what are you assenting here?
\

I'm agreeing that a mojito party might be in all of our best interests.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:32 am

see, that's one of the reasons I have so many posts, it's because I'm an ignorant European, who has to ask things like 'what's a mojito'.
I would google for it, but I have a job interview to prepare for. Yes, that's how I am, board before anything else...

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:30 am

Liesbeth wrote:see, that's one of the reasons I have so many posts, it's because I'm an ignorant European, who has to ask things like 'what's a mojito'.
I would google for it, but I have a job interview to prepare for. Yes, that's how I am, board before anything else...

...aaaaand that must be how I am too, seeing as I am dashing between meetings but feel compelled to assist. The mojito is a Cuban cocktail that has enjoyed a surge in popularity in the last, I dunno, 3 or 4 years here in the states? Here's a basic recipe:

Ingredients:
2-3 oz Light rum
Juice of 1 Lime (1 oz)
2 tsp Sugar
2-4 Mint sprigs
Soda water
Mixing instructions:
Lightly muddle the mint and sugar with a splash of soda water in a mixing glass until the sugar dissolve and you smell the mint. Squeeze the lime into the glass, add rum and shake with ice. Strain over cracked ice in a highball glass. Top with soda water, garnish with mint sprig and serve.

("muddling" the mint just means crushing it up a bit at the bottom of the glass to release the oils in the leaves. )

This not to be confused with the Caipirinha, from Brazil. They can look identical at first glance, but the key ingredient to the Caipirinha is lime, not mint.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:32 am

ah, good to know. Not too fond of the rum myself, but it might be better with the mint and lime. Not on a Monday night, though. I will have a mineral water with a touch of lemon juice, and join the mojito party in my own little way.

Return to “Cattywampus”