greatest songs of all fucking time

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

thepeter

greatest songs of all fucking time

Postby thepeter » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:20 pm

so i've been thinking a decent amount lately about what songs are really absolutely the greatest songs of all time. and i have thusfar come up with exactly three. three songs which i believe to be perfect in every conceivable way, in which no fault can be found:

dylan - like a rolling stone
joy division - transmission
mountain goats - against pollution

and i am having trouble getting beyond these three. any help would be appreciated. cause if i can make it up to ten or twelve, it might make a decent mix tape.....

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:22 am

there are so very many perfect pop songs:

Elvis Costello: Alison
Paul Simon: Kodachrome, Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes, et al.
Pixies: Debaser
Bjork : Hyper-Ballad
Prince: Little Red Corvette
Bowie: Sound and Vision

omg too many to make a dent in it....

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:19 am

i think that at least 90% of the beatles' catalog falls into the "perfect pop songs" category, but some that stand out to me are...

"in my life"
"happiness is a warm gun"
"obladi, oblada"
"your mother should know"
"across the universe"

and from other bands? oh gosh, here are some...

weezer - "el scorcho"
weezer - "say it ain't so"
belle & sebastian - "seeing other people"
nada surf - "blizzard of '77"
don mclean - "american pie"

sigh. perhaps this is turning into a "songs chelsea loves" list, but oh well. there are some songs i love and think are perfect.

galleta

Postby galleta » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:19 am

The La's "There She Goes"

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:24 am

joe jackson - real men

i've loved this for the past 23 years - I suppose that means it's a pretty perfect song

thepeter

Postby thepeter » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:44 am

yeah, see i'm going more for the "loved this song for 23 years" thing. much as i think "across the universe" is a good song, for example, i haven't put the damn thing on the stereo probably once in the last five years, and the record sits rotting on the shelf.

i suppose, however, that "say it ain't so" is probably justifiably one of the "greatest songs of all fucking time"

maybe we should also add "dig a pony." and, off topic a little bit, i wonder how much of the love people have for "can't buy me love" is related to their minds always thinking about those crazy beatles running and jumping around on black-and-white grass when they hear it.

c-dog

Postby c-dog » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:12 pm

Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man
The Kinks - Lola
Van Morrison - Sweet Thing
Pink Floyd - Bike

Burning Bride #7
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Burning Bride #7 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:27 pm

Happy Together - The Turtles
Panic Song - Green Day

lagomorph

Postby lagomorph » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:48 pm

In no particular order and off the top of my head:

"So. Central Rain", REM
"Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone", Sinatra rendition
"Stray Cat Blues", Rolling Stones
"All of Me", Billie Holiday rendition
"Scared Straight", the Long Winters
"Norwegian Wood", the Beatles
"I'm a Boy", the Who
"One", U2
"Sooner or Later", Bob Dylan
"I Will Follow You into the Dark", Death Cab
"Alameda", Elliott Smith
"Paper Boat", Nada Surf
"Polyester Bride", Liz Phair
"Ray of Light", Madonna
"Violet", Hole
"Wise Up", Aimee Mann
"The Blue Chair", Elvis Costello
"When You Were Mine", Prince
"Hallelujah", Jeff Buckley rendition
"Saddest Quo", Pernice Brothers
"The Last High", Dandy Warhols
"Big Snake", Lloyd Cole
"Mayor of Simpleton", XTC
"Army" Ben Folds Five

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:57 pm

lagomorph wrote:

"Paper Boats", Nada Surf

agreed, one thousand times over.

zach

Postby zach » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:50 pm

These are the ones that have lasted in my mind.

"What A Wonderful World" Louis Armstrong
"Imagine" John Lennon
"Wish You Were Here" Pink Floyd
"Redemption Song" Bob Marley

And I second "In My Life" The Beatles

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:03 am

topics like this send me into a panic. I have to pick a theme or I will literally have some sort of OCD breakdown.

Today's theme is: "Facing the firing squads of life with a Blowpop and several packages of Nerds at the ready".

"How I Got Over" - Aretha Franklin
"The Night Before" -beatles
"In Quintessence" - squeeze
"generals and majors" - xtc
"i got you" - split enz
"rise above" - black flag
"house of fun" - madness
"just haven't earned it yet baby" - the smiths
"no. 13 baby" - pixies
"i don't know" - the replacements
"5ive Gears In Reverse" - elvis costello
"tally ho" - the clean
"brenda's iron sledge" - robyn hitchcock
"delirious" - prince
"death or glory" - the clash
"ego trippin'" - de la soul

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:13 am

Squid wrote:
"The Night Before" -beatles

i thought i was the only one who loved this song!

c-dog

Postby c-dog » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:35 am

I love that a lot of people are putting Prince songs in their lists...my personal fave is Raspberry Beret...

Jeannette311
Location: Screaming for Medicine Cabinet Pirate at a TLW gig near you!

Postby Jeannette311 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:57 am

This is too much pressure. I can't pick any.....

I agree with alot of the tracks listed above. Personally I have been addicted to Harvey Danger's new album (thanks to Zach), and so I'd pick Cream and Bastards Rise from them. I'd also have to throw in Pressure POint by The Zutons, This is the Last Time by Keane, and Elton John's Crocodile Rock. As well as The Bee Gee's Stayin' Alive, Todd Rundgren's Hello It's Me, Blind Melon: No Rain, Just about any old school Motown, Joy Division: Atrocity Exhibition, Morrissey: Suedehead; The Sugarhill GAng: Rapper's Delight, Run DMC: It's Tricky; Rick James: Superfreak.

So, this might not be the best list, but it's a list of songs that I know will always be recognisable to me!

grant
wears the boots

lists without reasons are boring.

Postby grant » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:27 am

The greatest pop recording of all time is Petula Clark singing "Downtown."
It is an alchemical ritual -- an invocation of the Holy Guardian Angel who knows where all the good movies are playing and where the clubs play the perfect music for meeting that necessary friend when you are so desperately lost and alone.

The greatest pop recording of all time is The Magnetic Fields' "100,000 Fireflies." In part, because the rhythm is so infectious, you have to jump up and down on the bed despite the fact that it's removing your heart with a scalpel. You won't be happy with me. But give me one more chance. You won't be happy anyway. It ends at the bridge, all the better to jump from it.

The greatest pop recording of all time is by The Kinks, but it's not "Lola" -- it's "Waterloo Sunset," because it is perfectly encapsulated and universal. It tells the story of the end of a single day, but it is also the end of Swinging London, the end of the 60s, the end of adolescence, the end of our civilization, the end of our social lives, the end of the city as we know it. And because it is the end of all these things, it is also the story of all these things, told by the ultimate observer. It is the Huckleberry Finn and Heart of Darkness of pop music.

The greatest pop recording of all time is Syd Barrett's "Late Night," because it is unpredictable and beautiful and strange, soaked in acid and the newness of experience, the newness of a lover's skin, everything is slightly unfamiliar and covered in glittering light as if you were a child again, or it's the drugs talking, or it's nearly 4 a.m. and you both realize you should say goodnight, but you still don't want the evening to end despite that grim throbbing behind your eyes and the distinct feeling that nothing much is making sense any more.

The greatest pop recording of all time is "The Boy Who Knows There's One Day Left" by The Happies, and it is a crime that more people haven't heard this and that it is not being covered by whatever clone they've broken out of the crate to replace Britney Spears, because this song is simple and good and has a chorus made of the words "doo doo-da doo-doo-doo" and it sticks in your head for hours and hours, and every time it repeats inside your skull you feel like you did at the end of the last day of school when summer was as good as forever and a bicycle could take you everywhere you ever needed to go.

The greatest pop recording of all time is "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson because it is true and real despite being played everywhere. It understands that punk music is pop music, and that every teenager in the world deserves to hear a sudden pause followed by loud guitars because that's what breaking up feels like, and it's OK, and you can't stop it running through your head, and that's OK too.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:33 am

c-dog wrote:I love that a lot of people are putting Prince songs in their lists...my personal fave is Raspberry Beret...

You ever hear the Hindu Love Gods cover? (Warren Zevon + most of R.E.M.)
It's... idiosyncratic.

Squid wrote:"i got you" - split enz

I've always been very fond of "One Step Ahead," because it was the first video I ever saw on MTV. I was never able to separate it from the visuals, which were all beatniks-in-black-turtlenecks looking cool and detached and faaaar out. That and the eerie-ness of it. I love songs that aren't sure if they're about tapping feet or about being a soundtrack to a 1950s horror movie.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:06 pm

"Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, Christie?

"It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, Elizabeth, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album."

zach

Postby zach » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:51 pm

Jeannette311 wrote:Personally I have been addicted to Harvey Danger's new album (thanks to Zach)

You're welcome! heehee

I really think that a lot of the songs I'm listening to lately will end up on a more permanent "GREATEST SONGS IN THE WORLD" kind of list someday, but for now, I'm putting them through the test of time. That's why I stuck to some older songs...

zach wrote:"What A Wonderful World" Louis Armstrong
"Imagine" John Lennon
"Wish You Were Here" Pink Floyd
"Redemption Song" Bob Marley

And I second "In My Life" The Beatles

though these hardly exhaust the extensive lists I've made of my favorite songs in any particular genre/category/style/vein/era... meh. That really doesn't make much sense.... oh well... Submit!

Jeannette311
Location: Screaming for Medicine Cabinet Pirate at a TLW gig near you!

Postby Jeannette311 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:54 pm

Zach, I know exactly what you mean. For me growing up I listened to whatever my mom did; oldies (motowm always being a fave... Jackson 5 was so cool!!!), Classic Rock.. whatever. For example, in 4th grade my faves were The Four Tops, The Temptations, Jackson 5, Linda Ronstadt, Heart, Def Lepard, CHeap Trick, Supertramp, The Monkees, and Smokey Robinson. Nowadays I'm more focused on British bands and as everyone knows, a fan of alot of Barsuk bands. Music is a hard thing to categorise, and every song is great to someone else, even if you might think it's crap. Asking what the best songs are, for me, one of the hardest things ever. But, I did my best and I'm still babbling. It's those Scientologists.. They are getting to me!!! (I'm writing final Anthropolgy paper on Scientolgy; I didn't join or anything!!!)

Return to “Cattywampus”