greatest songs of all fucking time

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

Post by Squid »

grant wrote:The greatest pop recording of all time is by The Kinks, but it's not "Lola" -- it's "Waterloo Sunset,"

Now see the funny thing is, I started out with WS in the list above, but took it out because the tempo wasn't in keeping with the other songs I ended up selecting. It competes for first place in my heart with "Village Green Preservation Society".

grant wrote:
Squid wrote:"i got you" - split enz

I've always been very fond of "One Step Ahead," because it was the first video I ever saw on MTV. I was never able to separate it from the visuals, which were all beatniks-in-black-turtlenecks looking cool and detached and faaaar out. That and the eerie-ness of it. I love songs that aren't sure if they're about tapping feet or about being a soundtrack to a 1950s horror movie.

Wow! Can't believe you've seen it. Yes, that's what intrigued me, too. They wrote the best "long" pop songs ever. And if you think that vid's creepy, you should see the one for "I Hope I Never"*. It's like watching Roxy Music and David Lynch stranded at a motel with a dwindling supply of coke and no dimes for the payphone. Totally odd. It also features the memorable lyric:

I've been a fool - more than once, more than twice
I'm gonna move to a new town where the people are nice
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

Squid wrote:
grant wrote:The greatest pop recording of all time is by The Kinks, but it's not "Lola" -- it's "Waterloo Sunset,"

Now see the funny thing is, I started out with WS in the list above, but took it out because the tempo wasn't in keeping with the other songs I ended up selecting. It competes for first place in my heart with "Village Green Preservation Society".

We are the skyscraper condemnation affiliates....

Squid wrote:Wow! Can't believe you've seen it. Yes, that's what intrigued me, too. They wrote the best "long" pop songs ever. And if you think that vid's creepy, you should see the one for "I Hope I Never"*. It's like watching Roxy Music and David Lynch stranded at a motel with a dwindling supply of coke and no dimes for the payphone. Totally odd. It also features the memorable lyric:

I've been a fool - more than once, more than twice
I'm gonna move to a new town where the people are nice

Have you heard the stuff they've done as The Finn Brothers? I've got one song on a mix CD that's really haunting. "Only Making Sense." Sort of like Split Enz unplugged, in a way. Creepy in that New Wave way, but acoustic.
c-dog

Post by c-dog »

grant wrote:
c-dog wrote:I love that a lot of people are putting Prince songs in their lists...my personal fave is Raspberry Beret...

You ever hear the Hindu Love Gods cover? (Warren Zevon + most of R.E.M.)
It's... idiosyncratic.

No I have not - but I do enjoy songs that are idiosyncratic...I'll have to go in search of it.
galleta

Re: lists without reasons are boring.

Post by galleta »

grant wrote:The greatest pop recording of all time is Petula Clark singing "Downtown."
The greatest pop recording of all time is The Magnetic Fields' "100,000 Fireflies."
The greatest pop recording of all time is by The Kinks, but it's not "Lola" -- it's "Waterloo Sunset"
The greatest pop recording of all time is Syd Barrett's "Late Night"
The greatest pop recording of all time is "The Boy Who Knows There's One Day Left" by The Happies
The greatest pop recording of all time is "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson .

Grant, I'm in love with you.
grant
wears the boots

Post by grant »

Let's run away, then.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

topics are starring to blur, I'm listening to Neil Diamond as I read this, and it seems fitting in an odd way
theplacidcasual

Post by theplacidcasual »

i dont listen to prince ... but i listen to dumps 'that skinny motherfucker with the high voice?'

kinks face to face is chock full of pop stuff

faces have some good pop stuff

lonely boy_andrew gold=my fave songs right now

sugarplastic is damn near cavity inducing ... such sweet pop perfection .... as is the shazam ... 'chipper cherry daylily' ... waaaaay pop

raspberries ... dont get me started
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

people please! come on!

AC/DC - Back In Black
Cheap Trick - I Want You To Want Me
The Knack - My Sharona

yea, i know, there's about a million great songs out there. those are the first few that came to mind. band wise there's a ton too. but i've noticed that the ones i always come back to are ones that you don't forget the first time you heard their first song. usually the song that "broke" that band. the impact it made on you and/or the music of that time. bands like led zepplin, the rolling stones, the beatles, guns n roses, metallica, the ramones, green day, nirvana, radiohead, u2, etc, etc. personally i doubt most of the bands today (and i mean in popular culture) will stand the test of time.
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

Okkervil River - Song of our so-called friend
The Shins - New Slang (its almost cliche at this point, but it's amazing nonetheless)
The Long Winters - Scared Straight or The Commander
Elliott Smith - Color Bars or a Fond Farewell or Angeles
Neutral Milk Hotel - King of Carrot Flowers pt 1
grant
wears the boots

Post by grant »

Why? WHY?
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

you mean The Eurythmics song?
grant
wears the boots

Post by grant »

Ooooo!
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

The Smashing Pumpkins - Thru The Eyes of Ruby

Epic.
zach

Post by zach »

I believe you just broke a 2+ day silence. I was wondering how long it would last. And no... (cough cough) I haven't been checking like three times a day for a new post. (cough cough.)
Squid

Post by Squid »

Dunno, I'm suddenly enjoying the image of Grant doing an Annie Lennox impersonation.

(beaded gown and buzz cut optional)

ps: dear Mr. Grant, I forgot to reply: YES! I have all Finn Bros stuff. (I am what we call in the vernacular, a "Finnatic". ahem.) The first one is great, I agree. Second album's too overproduced for my liking, but the tour was was awesome.
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

zach wrote:I believe you just broke a 2+ day silence. I was wondering how long it would last. And no... (cough cough) I haven't been checking like three times a day for a new post. (cough cough.)

I know!! I was thinking there was something wrong with the board because nobody had been posting!
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

[nerd]No list of greatest songs of all fucking time is complete without Schubert's Erlkönig and a few dozen works by Mozart![/nerd]
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

I second you on Mozart, he's a solid entry in my fave artists list. And I will check out that Schubert piece, the name doesn't ring a bell.

(Hey, if everyone waits for each other to post, this board could be pretty boring.)
Squid

Post by Squid »

Liz wrote:[nerd]No list of greatest songs of all fucking time is complete without Schubert's Erlkönig and a few dozen works by Mozart![/nerd]

Oooooh I love the Erlkönig. Scary! That kid screamin' "Vater! Vater!" and such. To no avail, of course.

It's like the Fresh Prince said. Parents just don't understand.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

Squid wrote:
Liz wrote:[nerd]No list of greatest songs of all fucking time is complete without Schubert's Erlkönig and a few dozen works by Mozart![/nerd]

Oooooh I love the Erlkönig. Scary! That kid screamin' "Vater! Vater!" and such. To no avail, of course.

It's like the Fresh Prince said. Parents just don't understand.

Tell me about it..... and talking about geeky music and parents who don't understand, I dreamt of Verdi's Don Carlos last night. Weird. (and some more awesome music!)

Anyway, Erlking is a wonderfully creepy and sad piece of music, if you know the lyrics. Death and the Maiden isn't too bad, either... and oh my god the string quartet based on that song.

Liesbeth - there's an mp3 file on this site, complete with dutch introduction and the lyrics at the bottom of the page! (Just be sure to get the right version, not the one by Reichardt.)

Oh and shame on Goethe for treating Schubert's version with total disinterest. Bastard.