penguins

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

penguins

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:07 am

I love my new RSS-feed reader (I know, I'm not an early-adopter):
My life as a penguin, courtesy of The Guardian

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:47 am

I have yet to see the movie. However, I was totally turned off when I heard it had some cheesy voice-over. I might just buy the DVD one day and turn off the sound.

that said, do you seriously have an RSS-feed for penguin-related topics?

That part of the article was... funny.
But the American family-values lobby found something else in the penguins' struggle for survival: role models. The conservative film critic Michael Medved called March of the Penguins "the motion picture of the summer that most passionately affirms traditional norms [such as] monogamy, sacrifice and child-rearing". Other commentators saw it as a parable of Christian faith and forbearance. Church groups block-booked cinemas and held post-screening discussions, much as they did with The Passion of the Christ. One reviewer, writing in the Christian periodical World Magazine, maintained that the film presented a case for intelligent design, the pseudoscience which holds that evolution alone cannot account for certain complexities in nature. This dopey assertion was echoed on various web forums: "It's hard to watch a film like this and not see the evidence of a designer," wrote one viewer.

The backlash that followed proved, if nothing else, how little the American religious right knew about penguins. It was noted (in the film itself, among other places) that emperor penguins are monogamous only for the duration of one breeding cycle; around 85% will find a new mate next time around. While their childcare is in many ways exemplary, they tend to affect a certain nonchalance when their young are being eaten by petrels. As if this weren't enough, it transpired that Central Park Zoo in New York had a resident pair of gay penguins, Roy and Silo, who were devoted parents to an abandoned egg.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:36 am

Liz wrote:that said, do you seriously have an RSS-feed for penguin-related topics?

sure, it's in my animal news folder, together with the doormouse daily and the shark chronicle feeds.

well, no, the guardian feed was in the reader when i installed it

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:45 am

Well, I'm on the Monkey Newswire. I don't get it via RSS, but I'm pretty sure they have a feed.

There's bound to be a penguin-news (and, for that matter, a squid-news) feed out there somewhere.

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:21 am

grant wrote:There's bound to be a penguin-news (and, for that matter, a squid-news) feed out there somewhere.

You should make one. Grant's feed for cephalopds and flightless birds.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:24 am

I'd probably need a few more "clippers" -- people to actually find stories about penguins and squid.

But yes, I think that'd probably wind up being popular.

Are you sure feeds or newswires like this aren't already in existence?

It might work best if done something like http://www.obscurestore.com -- which I think is a Typeface blog with a few different people posting stories to it.

I'd be willing to learn how to set one up.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:43 am

well, I've actually searched google with penguin(s) and feed or rss, and didn't find a penguin feed. Which doesn't mean it might not be there of course

personally, I trust this board to satisfy my need for a fauna update every now and again.

aj

Postby aj » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:50 pm

Liz wrote:I have yet to see the movie. However, I was totally turned off when I heard it had some cheesy voice-over.

oh, no, no, no! morgan freeman! no cheese! he's never overacting or cheesy. just pure goodness. seriously. the man is beautiful. beautiful voice. very natural, no cheese. true professional.

you'd be missing out.

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:45 am

i still haven't seen it, but i got a season ticket for the zoo. be prepared for 5,000 penguin pictures within the next few months. we'll be back there next sunday because the rockhoppers are breeding.
like,

carlitos

Postby carlitos » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:39 pm

And now, the news for voles:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _n15624624

Apparently, randy little buggers.

Flyn

re: voles

Postby Flyn » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:57 pm

Return to “Cattywampus”