my favourite topic

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

it's the end of November, what's the weather like where you live?

we are snowed in, thanks for asking
4%
first snow has fallen
21%
night frost, but it's not too bad during the day
14%
autumn sure has hit: rain, storm, the lot!
No votes
temperatures are pretty nice
4%
it's cold here, I cannot even walk around in bikini anymore
21%
yay, it's summer
7%
fog.... yep, I'm in Seattle
21%
hey, you forgot an option
7%

Total votes: 28

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

my favourite topic

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:13 am

deary me, we can't have people waiting desperately for someone to post, now can we.
so here's a topic that everyone can relate to: what's the weather like then?

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:24 am

I'm in San Francisco, so it's finally summer. The past week has been HOT, by our standards, anyhow, and the weekend was gorgeous. I'm hoping for a sunny Thanksgiving.

(HEY! that reminds me. I wanted to do a poll on what everyone (stateside) is cooking..)

dchris

Postby dchris » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:32 am

55 degrees = too cold for a bikini.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:12 pm

Lack of central heating in Japan makes 40-50 degrees seem like a huge pain, especially for heat freaks like myself who love to be warm and snuggly. Its getting harder and harder to get out of bed.

But the trees, in all thier thousands of tiny little maple leaf splendor, are incredible and very nearly make up for it. autumn!

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:37 pm

It finally froze here a week ago, but it's still 60ish during the day and only 30 or so at night and always sunny, of course. Makes for kind of a cold bike ride to work in the morning, but that's what gloves/ear-warmers are for (and I second the hard to get out of bed sentiment...flannel+fleece+down=a very cozy spot, all I need is a boy and I'd probably never get up :)

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:22 pm

the fog and cold continues in seattle...

though i don't really mind it. there's something about bundling up and walking around in the cold while listening to my ipod that i love. some snow would be nice at some point, though.

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:11 pm

chelsea wrote:the fog and cold continues in seattle...

Everyone knows that it is not *actually* cold in Seattle. Not like here in Minnesota where one steps outside to pee and it freezes before it hits the ground. But, at least you all have the dignity to pee in the toilet.

philistien

Postby philistien » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:22 pm

Laura Suzanne wrote:
chelsea wrote:the fog and cold continues in seattle...

Everyone knows that it is not *actually* cold in Seattle. Not like here in Minnesota where one steps outside to pee and it freezes before it hits the ground. But, at least you all have the dignity to pee in the toilet.

be that as it may, we have had some pretty wicked fog the last week or so. my sis lives in minnesota and got frostbite in her foot which is now grey forever.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:14 am

It has been crazy foggy in Bellingham the past few days. It's been chilly, but only really cold in the morning.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:41 am

chelsea wrote: there's something about bundling up and walking around in the cold while listening to my ipod that i love. some snow would be nice at some point, though.

These are my sentiments prior to yesterday night. We got a slight, light covering of snow over the night, and it looks to not be going anywhere for the next few days at least. Today's high is in the 30's, but it is still sunny and beautiful. Winter is so nice.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:29 am

We had some snow last a few days last week, but now it is gone.

I'm sure it will be back soon enough, though.

Personally, I like the Minnesota winter (since I grew up a scant 5 miles from the border, I call weather back home "Minnesota weather"... I'm such a poser)

It's cold, you get snow and it isn't going anywhere until spring. In Iowa City we get a little more of the tweener crap... snow... little bit 'o melt... more snow... looks like it will finally get nice.... MARCH BLIZZARD.

I'd rather know what I am getting... snow... more snow... then more snow.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:28 am

Betty Felon wrote:Lack of central heating in Japan makes 40-50 degrees seem like a huge pain, especially for heat freaks like myself who love to be warm and snuggly. Its getting harder and harder to get out of bed.

But the trees, in all thier thousands of tiny little maple leaf splendor, are incredible and very nearly make up for it. autumn!

Do they still use hand- and foot-heaters?

I remember in a class on Japanese novels, our teacher (who'd been stationed in Japan in the 50s) described how instead of space heaters, people used these small braziers they'd prop their hands or feet on to warm the body. Seemed strange, but he swore they actually worked.

Where I am, I'm afraid I've had to put my bikini in the dresser drawer until March or so. It's in the 70s now, but I think tonight it's supposed to plunge into the 40s -- nearly as cold as it gets, here.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:38 am

it's been a weird autumn here, it's been quite warm much longer than usual, so the trees lost their leaves late, and the tree in our garden still has lots - our garden is on the first floor (second floor for you americans), so nightfrost often doesn't reach it.

all of a sudden it got quite a bit colder, resulting in the most beautiful fogs over the water in the morning. It's a delight cycling to work and see the sun rise over the trees, even if it is quite cold (I bought a new winter coat on sale in the middle of summer, and it's serving me well!). Every day I think I should bring a camera.

betty, I feel for you, I used to live in a house without central heating and it was a nightmare getting up. It's still not exactly easy now, but knowing the bathroom is nice and warm makes it more tempting to get up and have a hot shower.

aj

Postby aj » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:57 pm

No You Are wrote:
Personally, I like the Minnesota winter

you're on the wrong side of the state. when I think of MN winter I think of living in moorhead (across the river from fargo, no dak). that is a different kind of winter that the southern border.

I'm living in chicago, but grew up in MN and you would think I would have skin a little thicker than this, but I have not been prepared for this winter. the first day it snowed was awful. the wind was that kind of wind where you lose your breath and end up choking for a minute and there are tears streaming down your face and it burns and you want to die.

but I sure do miss ice fishing.

Jessie

Postby Jessie » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:12 pm

Ah, it's just begun to get cold here in Missouri.
The wind is a bit nippy outside, and the nights are cold, but other than that there's really not a lot to complain about!

Can't wait for the first snow of the year though! If it even decides to snow this year *rolls eyes*

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:34 pm

grant wrote:
Betty Felon wrote:Lack of central heating in Japan makes 40-50 degrees seem like a huge pain, especially for heat freaks like myself who love to be warm and snuggly. Its getting harder and harder to get out of bed.

Do they still use hand- and foot-heaters?

I remember in a class on Japanese novels, our teacher (who'd been stationed in Japan in the 50s) described how instead of space heaters, people used these small braziers they'd prop their hands or feet on to warm the body. Seemed strange, but he swore they actually worked.

Where I am, I'm afraid I've had to put my bikini in the dresser drawer until March or so. It's in the 70s now, but I think tonight it's supposed to plunge into the 40s -- nearly as cold as it gets, here.

Good lord, no, it's space heaters all the way. And these weird little gas powered space heater thing that plug into gas lines. I've taken to setting my alarm 30 min early, I jump out of bed, turn ont he space heater, jump back in and wait until it's toasty. Then I literally run from my room to the shower.

Japanese showers, however, are a work of art. They have a control panel on the wall that climate controls everything. You can even set a timer. I've never enjoyed bathing more, and I will miss the bath when I visit home for the holidays.

Those hand and foot things are very effective though, because heat is actually moved throughout the body by the movement of blood. Heating your outsides is less efficient, but feels better mentally.

They use them for hypothermia patients in hospitals based on these physiologic foundations: http://www.dynathermmedical.com/technology.html

Squid

Postby Squid » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:33 pm

Betty Felon wrote:Those hand and foot things are very effective though, because heat is actually moved throughout the body by the movement of blood. Heating your outsides is less efficient, but feels better mentally.

They use them for hypothermia patients in hospitals based on these physiologic foundations: http://www.dynathermmedical.com/technology.html

Uhm, wow. Can I pull a TMI and get personal here?

I suffer from a totally irritating lil' malady called Raynaud's Syndrome. Lots of people get it in varying degrees of severity. Speaking very generally, it's usually triggered by cold and results in my fingers losing blood flow and turning white. Given that I have olive skin, this is a totally unnerving and gross thing to witness, just ask my poor showgoing partner, Deb. She will normally respond, in her special caring way, with a horrified look and a shudder, followed by, "When are you going to buy some goddamn mittens?!"

Aesthetics aside, however, it is the most aggravating thing to deal with on a daily basis, simply because it a) hurts and b) pretty much paralyzes my fingers til i can get them warmed up again. Like every other bodily weirdness I encompass, this got considerably worse once I hit my 30's. It used to be once a month, but now it's several times a day: like when I'm leaving in the morning for the gym and I can't drive coz I can't use my hands, or when I go to the grocery store and stand in the refrigerated aisles for too long (god forbid I decide to buy yogurt, if ye olde syndrome kicks in, I can't touch it), or if I'm out and some one hands me a cocktail immediately after I've been outside in the cold, etc.

Gloves don't work immediately, and surprisingly enough, neither do those damn "handwarmer" things from REI. (Bloody glad I know that now, and didn't wait til my next skiing trip to try them out.) Long story long, I'm very interested to read about any and all hypothermia doohickeys. I'm hoping to come across something a bit less, erm, trauma patient oriented to use in my day to day life. So thanks for the article, Betty! It's a good place to resume my research...

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:07 am

mmm, I'm glad you're not here right now, Squid, you would be most uncomfortable.
In just a few days it went from 'a little night frost' to both the 'autumn rain and storm' and 'first snow has fallen' categories, yesterday. Resulting in the worst traffic jams ever (800 km vs 350 on a normal bad night), some people spent over 12 hours in their car, because there was just no movement, with snow and ice making driving nearly impossible, trucks blocking the roads and all. Trains were no alternative either, they weren't running in over half the country.

So now everyone here is speculating if this is going to be a really severe winter, or if this is just a one-off thing that doesn't mean anything. Weather really is such a favourite topic for everyone.

philistien

Postby philistien » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:18 pm

Squid wrote:
Betty Felon wrote:Those hand and foot things are very effective though, because heat is actually moved throughout the body by the movement of blood. Heating your outsides is less efficient, but feels better mentally.

Uhm, wow. Can I pull a TMI and get personal here?

I suffer from a totally irritating lil' malady called Raynaud's Syndrome. Lots of people get it in varying degrees of severity. Speaking very generally, it's usually triggered by cold and results in my fingers losing blood flow and turning white. Given that I have olive skin, this is a totally unnerving and gross thing to witness, just ask my poor showgoing partner, Deb. She will normally respond, in her special caring way, with a horrified look and a shudder, followed by, "When are you going to buy some goddamn mittens?!"

Aesthetics aside, however, it is the most aggravating thing to deal with on a daily basis, simply because it a) hurts and b) pretty much paralyzes my fingers til i can get them warmed up again. Like every other bodily weirdness I encompass, this got considerably worse once I hit my 30's. It used to be once a month, but now it's several times a day: like when I'm leaving in the morning for the gym and I can't drive coz I can't use my hands, or when I go to the grocery store and stand in the refrigerated aisles for too long (god forbid I decide to buy yogurt, if ye olde syndrome kicks in, I can't touch it), or if I'm out and some one hands me a cocktail immediately after I've been outside in the cold, etc.

Gloves don't work immediately, and surprisingly enough, neither do those damn "handwarmer" things from REI. (Bloody glad I know that now, and didn't wait til my next skiing trip to try them out.) Long story long, I'm very interested to read about any and all hypothermia doohickeys. I'm hoping to come across something a bit less, erm, trauma patient oriented to use in my day to day life. So thanks for the article, Betty! It's a good place to resume my research...

oh man! my sister has that to a semi-minor degree. my sister suffers from many maladies though. um, yes.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:09 am

Squid wrote:Aesthetics aside, however, it is the most aggravating thing to deal with on a daily basis, simply because it a) hurts and b) pretty much paralyzes my fingers til i can get them warmed up again. Like every other bodily weirdness I encompass, this got considerably worse once I hit my 30's. It used to be once a month, but now it's several times a day: like when I'm leaving in the morning for the gym and I can't drive coz I can't use my hands, or when I go to the grocery store and stand in the refrigerated aisles for too long (god forbid I decide to buy yogurt, if ye olde syndrome kicks in, I can't touch it), or if I'm out and some one hands me a cocktail immediately after I've been outside in the cold, etc.

Yikes!
I always get cold and sometimes white hands when it's cold outside, but it surely isn't that bad. Have you tried a paraffin therapy? From what I've heard they really help and I think they're not too expensive!

Return to “Cattywampus”