Pandora

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Pandora

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:23 am

Can you help me discover music that I like?

Another internet music toy. But it's a good one! Make your own radio station thingie.

It doesn't work super well (but not terrible). The Music Genome Project lists TLW's muscial qualities as:

"subtle use of vocal harmony, mild rhythmic syncopation, mixed acoustic and electric instrumentation, acoustic rhythm piano, a vocal-centric aesthetic and major key tonality."

I don't know...these other bands....they are just missing something. Something big.

Have fun!

zach

Postby zach » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:22 pm

Wow. This is AWESOME! I'm discovering lots of good new music. Thanks.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:17 pm

it seems great, but the problem is, that if you say you like a certain kind of music, you get mostly that kind of music. I like it when a radio station surprises you with something you wouldn't normally play, and mixes it so the moods almost clash.

now all I seem to be getting is 'subtle use of vocal harmony, mild rhythmic syncopation, mixed acoustic and electrical instrumentation, a vocal-centric aesthetic and major key tonality', and all this just because I started with The Long Winters.

Okay, they've just added Consonant, and that scores bonus points in my book - it's probably that mild rhythmic syncopation... that will woe me every time.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:07 pm

Wow, sorry for not making much sense in the original post for this sight, I wonder what I was thinking at the time...oh well.

Liesbeth, in a lot of ways I agree with you, that TLW station is of limited value because who wants to listen to 20 songs in a row all warm vocals and in a major key...even if they introduce a great band, you'll be desensitized to noticing how good they are.

Brains like new things, it makes them generate dopamine or some other neurobraintransmittochemical (I learned that on NPR Science Friday.)

It would be cool if there was a radio station shuffle mode and you could pick a bunch of wildly different bands...

However, its pretty great if you want to be introduced to a subgenre you don't know much about or haven't heard a lot of.

Jessie

Postby Jessie » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:33 am

I'm actually listening to it right now!
I made a Hanson station...yes...Hanson. They're playing Matchbox 20 at the moment \m/

I guess I should go make a Long Winters one too, eh? :p

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:22 am

I am still using this. And it's getting better.

TLW Station is not so good, lots of bands must meet the description.

But try the Bound Stems radio...it's incredible.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:38 pm

I started off w/Underride knowing full well I would get nowhere. It came up w/songs but not the actual artist. Why would they? Underride is a band only well known in certain circles around Seattle, but I tried for curiosity. Sooooo....since I have been reliving my 80's days of hair metal which I like to do a lot I asked for Poison. The reply was interesting since it asked me if that was an artist or song. I answered and got the most entertaining description of that kind of music. It has moved on to Foreigner now. I like how it describes how each song after relates to what you orginally asked for. Hilarious!

Return to “Cattywampus”