It's a whale! It's a unicorn! It's a NARWHAL.

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

It's a whale! It's a unicorn! It's a NARWHAL.

Postby Squid » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:57 am

Fascinating article on our dappled, horn-ed sea friends in the science section of NYT.com today.

I could post the full text, I suppose, but you curmudgeonly, "the internet ain't the boss of me" types need to cowboy up and just create log-ins, already. That way you get the sweet multimedia stuff, too.

Also, the title of the article sounds naughty. Giggles!

Jessie

Postby Jessie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:06 pm

That thing is so strange, haha.

c-dog

Postby c-dog » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:45 pm

Ha! I read that one over coffee! I love the narwahl and the oh so cute smile it has. Did you check out the double horned narwahl skull?

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Harvey Winters » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:14 pm

Last of the mysterious sea monsters...

sabirah

Postby sabirah » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:43 pm

The title made me giggle as well....!

Squid

Postby Squid » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:10 pm

c-dog wrote:Ha! I read that one over coffee! I love the narwahl and the oh so cute smile it has. Did you check out the double horned narwahl skull?

That was totally cool. It's also interesting how they apparently all sort of start out double horned, but only one horn really, erm, takes off? I think that was the way they explained it?

I probably need to go re-read it.

i love my car

Postby i love my car » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:23 pm

perhaps an underwater version of the glass menagerie should be created, with laura as a shy mermaid who spends her days polishing her narwhal figurine. she was content to stay at home in the family's rocky outcropping, until her mother took up the notion to find a gentleman caller. tragedy strikes for laura when she finds out her brother has invited a handsome, yet familiar merman for dinner.

c-dog

Postby c-dog » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:30 am

The horn is actually one of their teeth..crazy. It's like gigantism of the incisor.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:32 am

There's such an overload of animal threads on this baord. i like it.

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:10 pm

Squid wrote:...I could post the full text, I suppose, but you curmudgeonly, "the internet ain't the boss of me" types need to cowboy up and just create log-ins...

What about us non-curmudgeonly, 'the internet is of course my lord and master, but I wouldn't subscribe to that rag if you paid me' types?

Squid

Postby Squid » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:07 pm

nwheather wrote:
Squid wrote:...I could post the full text, I suppose, but you curmudgeonly, "the internet ain't the boss of me" types need to cowboy up and just create log-ins...

What about us non-curmudgeonly, 'the internet is of course my lord and master, but I wouldn't subscribe to that rag if you paid me' types?

it doesn't cost anything to subscribe online...except feeding them some sort of email and a password? Of course, time is money, and it would take some time to do that, so I can see your point...

Return to “Cattywampus”