A Million Little Pieces

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

A Million Little Pieces

Postby Squid » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:35 pm

For those who have read it:

<i>'A Million Little Pieces' Facts Disputed
(01-09) 15:45 PST NEW YORK, (AP)

An investigative Web site has alleged that James Frey's best-selling memoir about substance abuse, "A Million Little Pieces," wildly exaggerates his past, with inflated claims about his criminal record and about his involvement in an accident that killed two high school students.</i>

Article here.

I had heard rumblings about this. It's a riveting read, but I always wondered if it was a little, erm <i>too</i> riveting, ya know? Not that real life isn't stranger than fiction, just that I didn't buy that the author could be quite so Chuck Norris on a day to day basis. Hmmm...

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:52 pm

Interesting. I have not read the book, but know my mom really enjoyed it. Thanks for the link.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:56 pm

this news hurts me deep in my soul. i'm waiting for james to comment before i decide what i believe.

his books have a very special place inside of me.

there's also the news about JT Leroy that's pretty interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/books ... wanted=all

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:40 pm

That JT Leroy thing is pretty nuts.

mildlyrestarted wrote:this news hurts me deep in my soul. i'm waiting for james to comment before i decide what i believe.

I know what you mean, it would be like me finding out DFW didn't write Infinite Jest. (He's here on Monday, btw. Eeeeee!)

I'm having a hard time "considering the source" on both fronts. As I said before, I was always slightly dubious about some passages in the book. But I'm also not exactly impressed with the report The Smoking Gun has released. I think of TSG as a clearinghouse for embarrassing litigation, backstage riders and mugshots, and this isn't really changing that impression. Their piece so snarky that it's hard to treat it as investigative journalism.

That said, Frey's reaction (or rather, his reaction as characterized by TSG), doesn't help matters. Jury's definitely out on this one.

lagomorph

JT LeRoy is indeed a hoax.

Postby lagomorph » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:11 pm

I was good friends w/ "JT LeRoy". The New York Times report is accurate. I spoke w/ "JT", i.e. Laura Albert, on Sunday after the story broke and I have no doubt that she's a fraud and a sociopath. There is, however, something poignant about an individual smart enough to perpetuate fraud, but stupid enough to fuck over a Greek, particularly a Maniati (i.e. Spartan).

I was fooled alongside Bono, Lou Reed, Dave Eggers, and others whose work I admire, so I'm almost consoled by the fact I'm in good company. But still. It's bizarre to discover that the person w/ whom I exchanged hundreds of emails, dozens of phone calls, and w/ whom I partied in New York *does not exist.*

Details:

http://theslipperyfish.blogspot.com/

c-dog

Postby c-dog » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:30 pm

I read a response one woman had to all the controversey which I agreed with - she basically said who cares if he embellished in a few areas - the book still reached a lot of people and opened a lot of eyes.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:18 am

Who's the Spartan in question?

lagomorph

Postby lagomorph » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:04 pm

Me.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:24 pm

Now I'm picturing a squadron of demonic rabbits at Thermopylae. Thank you.

lagomorph

Postby lagomorph » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:05 pm

grant wrote:Now I'm picturing a squadron of demonic rabbits at Thermopylae. Thank you.

This is up there w/ the time you name-checked Diamanda Galas as make-out music. You're not a moderator, Grant. You're the moderator.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:15 am

Apparently people are writing into the Slate requesting they go after Augusten Burroughs. (source--New York Post via Salon, The Fix)

I never read Frey so I don't have an honest reaction to the news. But I really love Burroughs. I can't put his books down, they are so wonderfully readable and enjoyable and totally weird and interesting.

I don't really care if Burroughs is totally real, completely made up or anything in between. It's good writing.

It would be really sad if they try to dig up his dirt.

Return to “Cattywampus”