Whereas I am not being stationed at Elmendorf...

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

KarissaEB

Whereas I am not being stationed at Elmendorf...

Post by KarissaEB »

My parents are. They're PCSing in June, and will be there for five years.

Excellent! I'll have my plane ticket in the early fall to go visit and see the land of long winters. :D

(For all you non-military folk... PCS stands for Permanent Change of Station. Fancy Air Force-speak for moving clear across the country with very little notice. Or the world, for that matter.)

Karissa :D
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Elmendorf? Sounds like something from Lord of the Rings. But then, so does "The Long Winters" so maybe you are onto something.

KarissaEB, I believe you are one of a kind in this board. I'm sure there are just as many varied interests in the military as anywhere else, but coming from my limited experience, there aren't too many military indie-rock lovers.

Forgive my ignorance and tell us how you came to love the band?
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Also, do you fly around in a supersonic jet plane while listening to long winters? If so, which song do listen to the most while crossing the sound barrier? Which one is best for combat situtations?
KarissaEB

Post by KarissaEB »

John is *very* familiar with Elmendorf AFB. :D

I came to love the band when I saw them open for Keane (twice) and had the opportunity to hang out with them for a bit following the shows. Such a fantastic group of guys - I think the world of them! I've turned quite a few military friends of mine on to TLW - they love the music. :D

Best song for combat situations (for me, anyway) - Prom Night at Hater High. There's just something about that song that makes combat not as scary. :D Best song for combat down-time - The Commander Thinks Aloud and Blue Diamonds. :D
Squid

Post by Squid »

KarissaEB wrote:Best song for combat situations (for me, anyway) - Prom Night at Hater High. There's just something about that song that makes combat not as scary. :D Best song for combat down-time - The Commander Thinks Aloud and Blue Diamonds. :D

That's got to be one of the most amazing things ever posted on this board. Thanks for sharing it, Karissa.
KarissaEB

Post by KarissaEB »

You're very welcome :)
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

I agree with the Squid, how incredibly cool. The picture in my head is all Top Gun. Please tell us more.

Where are you stationed now?
KarissaEB

Post by KarissaEB »

LOL, well, it's definitely no Top Gun (that was Navy anyway, wasn't it?), but it is a great job nonetheless. :D I'm in a medical job, so I never really see the frontlines, but there's always the chance that I could be plucked up and told to help guard something or sit in on a convoy if they're hurting for people. I'm stationed at Sheppard until May, and then I'm off to Langley (Air Combat Command headquarters, home of the CIA and the F-22 Raptor) for I think three years. I'll be deployed quite a bit during that time - which is good, since I need the tons of extra money they'll be paying me!

Karissa :)
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

but you fly around in jet plans, ne? how often? Do you have to have perfect eyes and a strong stomach? Do you wear a bomber jacket and aviator shades?

You can listen to TLW actually in the plane? Can you sync up your buddies so they are all listening to the same song in thier own jet planes?

(btw everyone, I looked up Sheppard and it is in Texas, not Iraq or Afganistan. phew.)
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

langley huh? whidbey island is so nice.
KarissaEB

Post by KarissaEB »

Betty Felon wrote:but you fly around in jet plans, ne? how often? Do you have to have perfect eyes and a strong stomach? Do you wear a bomber jacket and aviator shades?

You can listen to TLW actually in the plane? Can you sync up your buddies so they are all listening to the same song in thier own jet planes?

(btw everyone, I looked up Sheppard and it is in Texas, not Iraq or Afganistan. phew.)

LOL, oh no, I'm too short to fly, according to the Air Force, by half an inch. (SUCH crap.) I'm on the ground anywhere I go, which is okay. I do still have the aviator shades, though. :D If I *were* in a plane, though, I would be able to listen to TLW while in flight. :D There are a LOT of flying hours that aircrew has to go through... not just pilots, either.

And yes, Sheppard is in north Texas :D If you hear me say I'm going to Al Udeid or Balad, then I'm going to Qatar or Iraq, respectively. Of course, I wouldn't be allowed to tell you where I was going until after I had already arrived there, anyway... but you'll know when I get deployed. :)
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

Such honesty on this board. I'm impressed. Had I been Karissa, I'd have been all...

"Yeah, I fly a supersonic jet to work. Then, ya know, spend 10 hours clearing the skies of bogies and making the world safe for our children. All while listening to It'll Be a Breeze. You know, just another day at the office."

But then again, when your job is servicing your country, and you put up with being moved all over the place at any time, maybe you don't need to embellish. That is impressive enough.

Kudos to you my friend.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

I too had a Top Gun feeling straightaway, but the LW soundtrack is more enticing. Hurrah for spreading the good music among those in camouflage.
KarissaEB

Post by KarissaEB »

No You Are wrote:Such honesty on this board. I'm impressed. Had I been Karissa, I'd have been all...

"Yeah, I fly a supersonic jet to work. Then, ya know, spend 10 hours clearing the skies of bogies and making the world safe for our children. All while listening to It'll Be a Breeze. You know, just another day at the office."

LOL!! I suppose I could've done that, but they browbeat you with the first of the Air Force Core Values - Integrity First. :D Anyway, driving a state-of-the-art tank is cooler, I think. But I don't do that either. :P Thank you much for the kudos, though. :) Gotta love not being in one place for very long... *dies*

Yes, hurrah for spreading TLW love in the armed forces! A particular favorite among my friends is B&B. :D