Stir up trouble!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

aj

Re: “To my parents, Ayn Rand and God”

Postby aj » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:33 pm

Betty Felon wrote:I still support you Harvard comma! Someday they will see!

I'm with you Betty. it just makes me feel better.

and periods outside of quotation marks just don't look pretty. I really don't care about correct. I just want things to be pretty.

I hate errors in books, magazines, menus, etc., but as far as message boards for britney spears? too much for me. candy. baby. for the taking.

on the other hand, I never tire of the ridiculousness that is gw's command of the english language. anybody see the andy dick as bush's speech writer video? I can't remember where I saw it.

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:55 pm

huh?

man, im dumb.

think of me as SPECIAL.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:22 pm

dchris wrote:What I ultimately want to do is TESL, which requires a hefty mix of both approaches.

I suggest looking into teaching english abroad, a linguist could get a great position since most teachers are qualified only by thier native ability.

You can teach in so many places. I recommend Japan for a few reasons, 1.) it's utterly safe for a female to travel alone, 2.) the language is completely different from English in fascinating ways, and 3.) teachers are highly respected here-- you'll be called Sensei, along with doctors, lawyers, scientists, etc.

dchris

Postby dchris » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:23 pm

Betty Felon wrote:I suggest looking into teaching english abroad, a linguist could get a great position since most teachers are qualified only by thier native ability.

Funny that you mentioned this, since I just (as in yesterday) signed up to spend four weeks teaching English to school children in Costa Rica this summer! I'm a short-term kinda gal.

You almost wooed me with the JET stuff last year, but I'm just not ready for the year-long commitment that most overseas TEFL programs (and pretty much any opportunities for actual, y'know paid work) require. I'd love to spend some time in Japan... someday...

Return to “Cattywampus”