How to make ironing more entertaining

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

How to make ironing more entertaining

Postby Moni » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:12 am

any ideas?
i know you'd rather solve problems like global warming right now, but this is an important issue to me at the moment.
there must be something about ironing shirts and blouses that makes the whole thing more fun.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:52 am

I go for music that you can sing along to, like cheesy 70s rock, or sixties girls groups.

Also, from my stress book: the 100% rule. Concentrate completely on trying to do your task as well as possible. No thinking about the why, but only about the how to get this done really well. Apparently it makes you concentrate so much that it seems easier to do. I have tried this out out writing out the minutes of meetings at work, and it does work. For a while, anyway.

Also, don't put off. Which is what I'm doing right now. The thought of someone else doing the ironing as well does help though!

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:52 pm

Subvert the dominant paradigm! Who says we must iron the flat parts of garments, the parts between the seams? Fold your shirts and pants to express your individuality, iron NEW seams and new creases, perhaps in patterns that express your solidarity with the oppressed. Use your ironing time to raise your voice on behalf of the voiceless! When the elite castes see us take to the streets in our "mis"-ironed shirts, they will cower in terror at the revelation of our true numbers, and at our willingness to use our irons, not in the service of conformity/collusion, but as muskets firing the first volley in the long awaited Quickening of Liberation!

aj

Postby aj » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:23 pm

I like john's idea, minus the ironing new creases. I don't iron at all. I have a hard enough time motivating myself to do laundry and other basics.

I have refused to buy clothes that require ironing. and after riding the bus/train for 30 minutes, pants already form their own creases, so I figure, what's the point.

buy wrinkle-free. that's your solution.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:28 pm

there's something about ironing in my underwear that i've always enjoyed...

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:33 pm

I suggest dropping your clothes off at the dry cleaner and going to the record shop/book store/taking a nap instead. Problem solved.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:58 am

Robert Fulgum (of Everything I Needed To Know I Learned In Kindergarden fame), wrote an interesting story about ironing and meditation. He found that he couldn't meditate like the Monks in tibet, because he couldn't sit still. He could, however, recall his old housekeeper teaching him how to iron perfectly, and how doing that was meditation. It fits very well with Liesbeth's strategy.

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:31 am

Ick. All this ironing and "anti-ironing" sounds like way to much work. That's even more effort than I put in as a "pre-Hot Topic" era Goth back in junior high. (Where we earned our crucifixes the hard way - we stole them.)

Betty Felon wrote:I suggest dropping your clothes off at the dry cleaner and going to the record shop/book store/taking a nap instead. Problem solved.

I'm with Betty. That's exactly what I did, and then went shopping for laptop bags. Done!

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:49 am

I suppose the more a job requires ironed clothes, the more it is likely to make you the kind of money that is needed to have your ironing done for you...
and yeah, I can hear the non-conformist say that ironing clothes for work is oppression, but it is a reality for some.

on a totally cattywampus basis, I will admit that I love my handkerchiefs ironed, not for the way they look, but because they feel so nice and smooth and soft.

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:19 am

I think I've just been labelled bourgeois (and rightfully so). Not even my tattoos can save me now...

Curse this office job! Damn this mortgage!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:21 pm

It's true, having your clothes cleaned for you is more expensive than doing it yourself. Baking your own bread is way cheap too, but life is just too short.

Near my US home there is a 99cent per item cleaner, even cheaper if you just have your clothes pressed, not cleaned.

So I do the math: It takes me about 15 min to iron a shirt the way I like it. That's 15 min presupposing I don't have a spray starch disaster. (Why don't women's shirts have collar stays! WHY?!) If I paid myself to iron my shirts, I'd be making less than $4 per hour to save money vs. the cleaner. F that.

In other words, I have strong opinions about collarstays and... egad! I am a yuppie...when did that happen?

ohiofan

Postby ohiofan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:38 am

Hello again. I haven't been here in a while, but stopped in and this thread caught my eye. I'm a domestic diva by nature - it can't be helped.

What makes me really enjoy ironing is a newly organized closet. After I clean out all the old rags and give them to Goodwill; I want to mend and iron everything, make my closet look like a magazine picture, and live one of those perfect lives where you can grab any outfit at a moment's notice.

It's my fantasy. Yeah.

aj

Postby aj » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:35 pm

ohiofan wrote: I want to mend and iron everything, make my closet look like a magazine picture, and live one of those perfect lives where you can grab any outfit at a moment's notice.

ok, so I have not even seen an iron in years, until this thread. I went over to a friends house last night and she ironed while we talked and had tea (read: I am getting old). and her closet looked like you see in magazines. and I felt a little sloppy and unorganized.

however, ironing is dangerous. she accidentally ironed an unironable article of clothing. I really wanted her to iron the whole thing and turn it into a funky pattern. I don't think it will happen.

be careful out there.

ohiofan

Postby ohiofan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:01 pm

Another way to make ironing fun is to get all the 'ironing tools' you need. Have a couple water bottles (one for spraying directly on the clothes and another for refilling the iron) and Dritz hot iron cleaner handy (for the inevitable "oops I melted this poly!" accident). While you're at the fabric store searching for the hot iron cleaner, pick up some flour sack or cotton muslin rags to use with it, because the gunk that comes off your iron onto the muslin will not wash out. You'll feel like a pro and your iron will always be in peak condition.

I learned this from a nun in sewing class when I was 14 (and now I'm as old as John). I'll shut up now.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:25 am

ohiofan wrote:Another way to make ironing fun is to get all the 'ironing tools' you need. Have a couple water bottles (one for spraying directly on the clothes and another for refilling the iron) and Dritz hot iron cleaner handy (for the inevitable "oops I melted this poly!" accident). While you're at the fabric store searching for the hot iron cleaner, pick up some flour sack or cotton muslin rags to use with it, because the gunk that comes off your iron onto the muslin will not wash out. You'll feel like a pro and your iron will always be in peak condition.

I learned this from a nun in sewing class when I was 14 (and now I'm as old as John). I'll shut up now.

Ironing tools?! You are like the Tool Time guy, only of cleaning. You can clean my apartment if you want. Seriously.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:09 pm

okay, stop right now, all of you. Seriously, starch, iron cleaner, two bottles of water? What happened to simple ironing? Nor do I spend 15 minutes on one item of clothing, I have a life to live.

Anyway, I suppose the Dutch stay true to their calvinistic nature and don't easily let other do their laundry for them. Which - combined with a minimum wage which I suspect is higher than US wages - means that it really is a luxury to have your laundry ironed.

There are also very few laundrettes left here - everyone owns a washing machine these days. When I lived in Denmark I did my laundry at a laundrette down the street, and it was a wonderful thing: reading a book while waiting for the machines to finish, a weekly few hours of taking it easy.

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:55 am

My personal, subtle way of protest is discoloring my socks during laundrs. grey to light blue, yellow to green. it totally works. my feebly striped stockings got me standing ovations in the tram last week.

And ironing fresh underwear is great indeed especially if it's you bf's.

Return to “Cattywampus”