Saddam's Delusions

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Saddam's Delusions

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:51 pm

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20060501f ... nside.html

Amazing article of excerpts from the recently declassified U.S. Joint Forces Command Iraqi Perspectives Report detailing what happened on the Iraqi side of the war.

It's INSANE.

Saddam had created such an crazy atmosphere of fear within his regime that no one reported bad news up the chain of command. The information minister really believed his reports while we were all laughing.

The Special Republican Guard was designed to prevent a coup, meaning it was full of spies, and spies to report on the spies, and people selected because they were too stupid and/or cowardly to organize a revolt. It was completely ineffective at defending from invasion.

"The corps commander had to ensure then that all the spies were in the room before the meeting began so that there would not be any suspicions in Baghdad as to my purpose. This kind of attention to my own internal security was required. I spent considerable time finding clever ways to invite even the spies I was not supposed to know about."

Saddam remained completely ignorant of the nature of the US invasion until we were practically in Bagdad.

Fascinating, fascinating article. Incredible!

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:28 pm

Very similar to Romania's Ceausescu. The local apparatchiks would exaggerate the harvests by a factor of five or ten. Ceuasescu would proudly export the "surplus" of grain and use the profits to build monumental follys, yet there was no surplus. He was exporting ALL the grain.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:04 pm

I'm ashamed to say it, but I had to wikipedia Ceauşescu, having never heard that name before in my life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolae_Ceausescu

WTF? I consider myself fairly educated, so why have I never heard the name of Genius of the Carpathians?! He even had a scepter! Awesome!

And is there a good excuse why my most vivid memory of the fall of communism is that Jesus Jones song?

"Right here, right now-ow-ow, watching the world wake up from hisssstory...."

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:29 pm

Betty Felon wrote:Ceausescu

anyone ever seen the seinfeld episode where jerry's dating the romanian gymnast and he can't think of anything to say to her and finally he comes up with: "so, Ceausescu, he must have been some dictator..." ? anyone?

either way, his name is so fun to say!

galleta

Postby galleta » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:56 am

I remember being very impressed as a child by the charges of cannibalism against the Ceausescu family. I was ten or eleven years old by then, I think. I was terrified but couldn't stop reading the newspapers my father bought and watching the news on TV trying to grasp some more information about it -though I don't think I was quite aware of anything at the time. I guess I was mostly interested in the fairy tale part of the whole story: ogres eating children, the witches and the powerful and evil king of a far distant country. God, I had those awful nightmares for weeks!

Weren't you in Europe by then, Juan Rodrigo?

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:01 am

somehow, even with all the stories of atrocities committed by or by order of Ceausescu, what has left most of an impression was the Palace of the Peoplehe ordered to be built: with 1100 rooms, it adds new meaning to the word megalomania. I suppose I would have to see it to actually understand its scale.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:09 am

unbelievable.

Well, clearly I don't know dictators nor my Seinfeld. I'm so ashamed.

Y'all should really peruse the Saddam article. This was a full invasion; not since WWII have we had full access to hundreds of thousands of internal documents and high ranking officals to really see how the country worked.

I can't believe this stuff.

Makes me wonder what America's offical government documents and internal structure looks like...

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:56 am

Chelsea, I got your back on that one.

"He probabaly started dictating right away in the morning. I want a cup of coffee and a danish"

And as for the posts around the world thread, let me off-topicly add Gate 5 of the Oklahoma City Airport.

(I'm heading home from working the NCAA Wrestling Champs... unfortunatley there were no Polar Bear v Gator matchups... although the 149-pound finals featured a Hawkeye and a Golden Gopher)

Return to “Cattywampus”