Seattle: What the hell are you thinking?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Seattle: What the hell are you thinking?

Postby grant » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:11 pm

Why is there such strange, disturbing news out of Seattle?

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:51 pm

I saw that yesterday, and I actually had this little twinge where I was hoping that no one on this board was hurt! I predict that this confession will elicit one of two reactions from SEA residents:

1) "Awww, Squid acts like hapless drunk, but really, she's a big ol' sweetheart."

2) "*derisive snort* Squid thinks we go to Zombie raves. She is woefully out of touch, and hereby banned from the greater Washington area. She also sucks."

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:34 pm

i've gotta go with number 2, with one slight change:

"*derisive snort* Squid thinks we go to Zombie raves. She is woefully out of touch, and hereby must come visit the greater washington area to see that those of us on this board do not attend such...events.

philistien

Postby philistien » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:04 pm

even if we don't go to silly zombie raves....it's weird. i know a number of people who knew one of the girls who was killed and at least two other kids who were there (but not killed thank heaven) are from my area. it's just....mind-blowing, to think that this sorta stuff happens. i mean, it seems like the sort of thing that would happen in new york city or something...not good ol' seattle. but damn. that really shook me up even though i didn't know any of them personally.

icapants

Postby icapants » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:48 pm

Squid wrote:2) "*derisive snort* Squid thinks we go to Zombie raves. She is woefully out of touch, and hereby banned from the greater Washington area. She also sucks."

no, in seriousness it is pretty scary. I'm not a huge fan of the area it happened in to begin with.
Scary and sad. I'm pretty sure all the Seattle kids are okay though.

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:59 am

philistien wrote:even if we don't go to silly zombie raves....it's weird. i know a number of people who knew one of the girls who was killed and at least two other kids who were there (but not killed thank heaven) are from my area.

yes, I figured it would be impacting at least a few people's social circles, ugh. regardless of the type of event, it's horrible.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:25 am

I used to live three blocks from there. Neighborhood was FULL of zombies.

philistien

Postby philistien » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:28 pm

John wrote:I used to live three blocks from there. Neighborhood was FULL of zombies.

hmm. i used to live five blocks from there. i wonder if we lived nearby? funny thought. course i was far too young to care at that point. but anyway....the whoel thing is awful. they keep running biographies of the deceased in the paper and it makes me cry everytime i read it. even if i don't agree with their social scene, no one deserves to get shot at a party.

aj

Postby aj » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:49 pm

I first read about it sunday night and the article was actually pretty decent.

however, everything I've read since then has been crap. how the hell is it important to mention zombie over and over again?! I hate the media. yes, all of it. I don't care that people were dressed as zombies and had fake blood on them before the shooting started happening. that's not exactly the point. I also don't care that there was alcohol and marijuana found in the house. zombie costumes or not, this isn't the sort of thing that's happening as a result of consuming either of those drugs.

damn it. why is the world such crap.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 am

The Zombie thing is kind of interesting though, you gotta admit that. And looking for drugs makes sense to me though more like meth or ketamine or something (pyschotic drugs at a rave?! pshaw!)

I'm not inundated with news about it, but I'm sure its all Columbine Redux. I say be thrilled they are talking about zombies and not about violent video games and Marilyn Manson destroying the moral fiber of the youth today.

Please tell me Tipper and Pat haven't opened thier mouths yet.

Where was the good article?

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:25 am

Betty Felon wrote:The Zombie thing is kind of interesting though, you gotta admit that. And looking for drugs makes sense to me though more like meth or ketamine or something (pyschotic drugs at a rave?! pshaw!)

Last time I checked (and mind you, this is just SF), the rave drug d'jour was a sort of "speedy" derivative of ex. While I can't fathom wanting to do any pharmaceutical cocktail that would make my heart jump out of my ribcage and run off to the nearest emergency room of its own accord, perhaps this mixture doesn't entail the goddamn committment that meth does. Three days? I don't want to do ANYTHING for three days.

But DUDE. Let's talk about this ketamine thing. When the f*ck did horse tranquilizer get reinvented as a rave drug? When last popular, K was a vehicle for like, laying on your bedroom floor and listening to your Terminal Cheesecake records for several hours (especially once they'd stopped playing) but NOW...my gay party boy cabal tells me that the "in" thing to do is fall in to the K Hole and then go out to a club!! How they are doing this is beyond me, since the primary attributes of falling into said Hole are being horizontal, referring to Wayne Coyne as if you know him personally, and like, drooling. Remember the way Benicio del Toro looked in Basquiat? Like that. How is this an attractive option for social environments?

In MY day, we had coke. It smelled like gasoline, and it made you think bad metal was good, but at least 30 minutes later you were okay again. Til you did more, of course.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:13 pm

Wow.

I have only the most cursory knowledge of rave and rave drug culture. I remember someone trying to explain to me once why that girl wearing christmas lights has on a vaporub surgical mask and is trying to literally walk through the giant speaker. Sounds....er....fun?

On a semi-related note, I recently talked to Japanese anesthesiologist who told me he sometimes gives ketamine to freighted patients to "give them good dreams". They refuse to import Advil because it's "too strong for Japanese", but doctors give ketamine, to humans, freely. bafflement #306.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:22 pm

I once took Ketamine in Rotterdam and woke up in Harwich, outside of Ipswich, UK. I shit you not.

aj

Postby aj » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:32 pm

I dont remember what the link could have been or where the article could have been found. it was just one of those that came up as "news in the last 2 hours" things as I was checking my email. but then the "spin the facts" people showed up. I should know better.

unrelated: "I shit you not" is a great phrase that will always remind me of rural mn. yay. I shit you not. I do not shit you. what the hell? I love it. it reminds me of when I went home a couple of years ago and my grandpa said "clear as cat shit" as a clarification of some sort. I laughed uncontrollably while trying to get out the statement, "grandpa, I don't know if that's good or bad or what it could possibly mean. that just doesn't help me at all."

galleta

Postby galleta » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:22 am

philistien wrote:even if we don't go to silly zombie raves....it's weird. i know a number of people who knew one of the girls who was killed and at least two other kids who were there (but not killed thank heaven) are from my area. it's just....mind-blowing, to think that this sorta stuff happens. i mean, it seems like the sort of thing that would happen in new york city or something...not good ol' seattle. but damn. that really shook me up even though i didn't know any of them personally.

mmmhh.... I'M SCARED!! I was so much looking forward for my holiday to Seattle... but I'm so scared of the US!

Europeans, help me prove I'm right.

by the way, Ultimatum is finally (at last) being distributed in Spain.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:58 am

galleta wrote:Europeans, help me prove I'm right.

sorry, but I'm not with you there.
Over the past few years, there have been a number of on-the-street assassinations in the Amsterdam criminal scene, plus an outright political murder. A number of people have been killed through what the Dutch call 'pointless violence': what starts as someone telling someone else off for their behavior in public, ends in their death. People have shot at doormen in clubs because of a dispute, and killed innocent partygoers in the process. All this is just where I live, I dare say every European has stories in their own country.

I personally have shed the idea of a safe Europe over the past few years.
Have a good trip to Seattle!

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:54 am

I'm not into sensationalizing isolated events, and I wouldn't even be posting this if not for the final line. Just too timely. Posted today on Arab Strap's MySpace Blog:

Thursday, March 30, 2006
A Whisper In The Noise Attempted Stabbing

On the first leg of the Arab Strap tour, supporting band A Whisper In The Noise were attacked last night, March 28, at knifepoint by two thugs at the Neumos show in Seattle (located at 925 E. Pike Street).

Two males approached the AWITN van as they were loading the last piece of gear into the truck and enjoying one last smoke before hitting the road. Minutes after Arab Strap left the venue the youths approached the band. They attempted to grab gear and gain entry onto the van. When confronted by the AWITN bandmembers and tour manager, one of the perpetrators pulled a knife and the other sucker punched the tour manager knocking out his front teeth. They then attempted to slash the van tires before leaving the scene. Police arrived after the perpetrators fled the scene and no arrests were made. The tour manager spent the night in the ER having his front teeth temporarily replaced with a temporary bridge.

AWITN tour manager/driver comments: "They had a knife drawn and demanded equipment, then the other guy sucker-punched me. As they ran away they were shouting, 'Welcome to Seattle, Motherfuckers!'"

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:23 am

I'm glad the boys in TLW are BIG. No scrawny punk in their right minds would start shit with them.

But still, the thought of some douchebag pulling a knife or a gun on them or any other band after a show makes me sick. What a bunch of crap.

Makes me wonder though: where were the Neumos doormen at the time? They should be safeguarding not only the building but the bands to and from the venue.

If it's not policy, it should be. Expensive equipment like that is just too much of a target for a criminal.

lagomorph

Postby lagomorph » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:57 pm

Squid wrote:AWITN tour manager/driver comments: "They had a knife drawn and demanded equipment, then the other guy sucker-punched me. As they ran away they were shouting, 'Welcome to Seattle, Motherfuckers!'"[/i]

Years ago I was mugged. What bothered me most is that, like the guys above, they were laughing.

galleta

Postby galleta » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:10 pm

Thank you, guys.

Return to “Cattywampus”