spring!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

spring!

Post by Liesbeth »

daffodils, sunshine!
there's a gale going here that blows you off your bike, but it's still SPRING
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: spring!

Post by Moni »

Liesbeth wrote:daffodils, sunshine!
there's a gale going here that blows you off your bike, but it's still SPRING

and if you think how many Dutch people there are who own a bike they could theoretically be blown off, that's quite scary!

But apparently I have enough FFmiles to check out Dutch weather some time this spring, so I am hoping for even more improvement in all weather-related matters there.
Last edited by Moni on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

May is gonna be so fine!
carlitos

Post by carlitos »

Gad, yes, Spring at last... we have winds blowing our garbage cans down the street, seven minute lightening storms, sweet mountain breezes, rainbows... they have a saying here, if you don' t like the weather, wait 10 minutes; Spring is that squared.

When I was in my teens, I thought I'd be dead by now... and now that I'm... older... I still feel some small sense of accomplishment when daylight savings time rolls around. Of course, I've traded seasonal affective disorder for cabin fever, but it is essentially the same delightful syndrome (Note: I'm less than an hour from the hotel that inspired "The Shining").

So here's to Spring in all its fecund pagan circle o' life ruttery! Hoota-hoo!
galleta

Post by galleta »

Yes! It feels like summer down here. But... it's not! I forgot that yesterday night and came back home with this dreadful cold and now I'm posting from my bed (quite an exotic place lately, should it count as a candidate for our contest?) - a grave covered with three kilos of used kleenex.
whathedickens

Post by whathedickens »

Illinois is crazy. It's nice and Spring-y one day, then spitting down rain and chilly the next. Wouldn't be surprised if we had a snow storm. Psycho weather. Only a few more weeks and it's back to the East Coast. :)
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

suffocation by used kleenex, that would be an unglamorous way to go...
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

It's Sakura (Cherry Blossom) time in Japan and everyone is...totally desperate for good weather.

It was warm for a few days causing a few trees to bloom, setting off the bizarre and totally charming obsession with the flowers. The news began running a cherry blossom report (sort of a cross between a pollen count and weather report) tracking bloom percentage across the country. The stores and restaurants are all cherry themed. Cherry blossom bread and sweets, cherry decorations, cherry blossom tea, etc.

Normally, this time of year, all of Japan ignites into a sea of white, pink, and fuscia blossoms. This island is covered with thousands of cherry trees. Families, coworkers, clubs, friends, organize Hanami parties (hana=flower, mi=look at) which are basically outdoor picnics (some daytime, some nighttime) to drink and enjoy the explosion of flowers. Some temples and castles are lit up at night only this time of year. A week or two later, the flowers fall, and it's all gone.

There are boatloads of buddhist philosophy, poetry, and literature based on this symbol of fleeting beauty.

Unfortunately, the weather turned really, really cold and consistently rainy the last week or so. Two hanami I was planning to attend were canceled. I went to Kyoto this weekend to a castle famous for its sakura, to find only bare trees.

Sadly, there were people taking pictures in front of the bare trees...maybe they traveled to Kyoto from far away for sakura time. Saddest of all are those dedicated souls holding hanami huddled in cold little groups under sakura-less trees and overcast skies.

It started...and then literally froze in place. I do hope true spring arrives soon or I fear Japan's collective heart will break.
icapants

Post by icapants »

Betty Felon wrote:Sadly, there were people taking pictures in front of the bare trees...maybe they traveled to Kyoto from far away for sakura time. Saddest of all are those dedicated souls holding hanami huddled in cold little groups under sakura-less trees and overcast skies.

This better not happen when I go to Japan. I really really want to go in a couple years, when the Cherry Blossoms are in bloom.
Betty, how far is Kyoto from Tokyo? I really want to go to both places.
Moni

Post by Moni »

as far as i know, the cherry blossom doesn't happen at exactly the same time every year, so you have to be lucky to catch the right week(s).

and distance is not such a problem in japan, they've got high speed trains... questions is just what you can afford. i think. i'm sure betty--whose post made me sad, somehow--knows much more.
Moni

Post by Moni »

galleta wrote:Yes! It feels like summer down here. But... it's not! I forgot that yesterday night and came back home with this dreadful cold and now I'm posting from my bed (quite an exotic place lately, should it count as a candidate for our contest?) - a grave covered with three kilos of used kleenex.

In what part of Spain is your bed located?
galleta

Post by galleta »

Liz wrote:
galleta wrote:Yes! It feels like summer down here. But... it's not! I forgot that yesterday night and came back home with this dreadful cold and now I'm posting from my bed (quite an exotic place lately, should it count as a candidate for our contest?) - a grave covered with three kilos of used kleenex.

In what part of Spain is your bed located?

In Barcelona, home of drunkards, scando erasmus students, short spanish popnerds and gaudy Gaudí buildings. My last will is for a glamourous death: I am using pink-colored kleenex.

Betty, your post reminded me of Kareshi Kanojo.
Squid

Post by Squid »

I'll take a stunted hanami season and/or some short indi-roqueros over this month of rain we've had. Blechy.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Good news! The weather is beautiful today!

ipants, Liz is right. The blossoms are nature so they bloom when they damn well feel like it. It's impossible to predict exactly when they will blossom. They tend to bloom in Tokyo first because it's further east and gets longer daylight in the spring than the rest of Japan. Chances are if you stay 2 weeks from late march to late april, and you move between Tokyo and Kansai, you'll see them somewhere.

But coming during sakura is a double edged sword. Kyoto will be CROOOOOWOWOWOWded. And I mean crowded, like, you can't even walk crowded. Its beautiful, but it will take hours to see one temple.

Kyoto is about 9-10 hours drive (highway bus) from Tokyo. 3 hours by superfast Shinkansen. However, the Shinkansen is really expensive....about $150 each way. (BTW, everything in Japan is really expensive. If you want to see Japan, just do it, don't compare anything to prices in the US. Otherwise, you won't eat.) I think there is a rail pass just for tourists that is much cheaper. I recommend flying into Tokyo and flying out of Kansai. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Japan.
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

Spring is the greatest! Despite all the allergies, it's absolutely brilliant! Plus my birthday is in the spring. WOOT!
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

Let's not be too optimistic... there's another half of the world heading into fall, when everything dies.

EDIT -- This was #500. Hooray.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

As far as I know, there's only one person on this board from the southern hemisphere. If there are more, my sincere apologies.
But hey, the magnolia is blooming and the lilac is well on its way. It's spring here, and I won't shut up about it!

ps: welcome to the 500-club. No priviliges, mind.
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

Liesbeth wrote:ps: welcome to the 500-club. No priviliges, mind.

Just 500 more and I can post a fake pic of myself :)