well, you invited him

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

well, you invited him

Postby Moni » Wed May 03, 2006 10:32 am

original article

WASHINGTON A blistering comedy "tribute" to President Bush by Comedy Central’s faux talk show host Stephen Colbert at the White House Correspondent Dinner Saturday night left George and Laura Bush unsmiling at its close.

Earlier, the president had delivered his talk to the 2700 attendees, including many celebrities and top officials, with the help of a Bush impersonator.

Colbert, who spoke in the guise of his talk show character, who ostensibly supports the president strongly, urged the Bush to ignore his low approval ratings, saying they were based on reality, “and reality has a well-known liberal bias.”

He attacked those in the press who claim that the shake-up at the White House was merely re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. “This administration is soaring, not sinking,” he said. “If anything, they are re-arranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg.”

Colbert told Bush he could end the problem of protests by retired generals by refusing to let them retire. He compared Bush to Rocky Balboa in the “Rocky” movies, always getting punched in the face—“and Apollo Creed is everything else in the world.”

Turning to the war, he declared, "I believe that the government that governs best is a government that governs least, and by these standards we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq."

He noted former Ambassador Joseph Wilson in the crowd, just three tables away from Karl Rove, and that he had brought " Valerie Plame." Then, worried that he had named her, he corrected himself, as Bush aides might do, "Uh, I mean... he brought Joseph Wilson's wife." He might have "dodged the bullet," he said, as prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald wasn't there.

Colbert also made biting cracks about missing WMDs, “photo ops” on aircraft carriers and at hurricane disasters, melting glaciers and Vice President Cheney shooting people in the face. He advised the crowd, "if anybody needs anything at their tables, speak slowly and clearly on into your table numbers and somebody from the N.S.A. will be right over with a cocktail. "

Observing that Bush sticks to his principles, he said, "When the president decides something on Monday, he still believes it on Wednesday - no matter what happened Tuesday."

Also lampooning the press, Colbert complained that he was “surrounded by the liberal media who are destroying this country, except for Fox News. Fox believes in presenting both sides of the story — the president’s side and the vice president’s side." He also reflected on the alleged good old days, when the media was still swallowing the WMD story.

Addressing the reporters, he said, "Let's review the rules. Here's how it works. The president makes decisions, he’s the decider. The press secretary announces those decisions, and you people of the press type those decisions down. Make, announce, type. Put them through a spell check and go home. Get to know your family again. Make love to your wife. Write that novel you got kicking around in your head. You know, the one about the intrepid Washington reporter with the courage to stand up to the administration. You know--fiction."

He claimed that the Secret Service name for Bush's new press secretary is "Snow Job."

Colbert closed his routine with a video fantasy where he gets to be White House Press Secretary, complete with a special “Gannon” button on his podium. By the end, he had to run from Helen Thomas and her questions about why the U.S. really invaded Iraq and killed all those people.

As Colbert walked from the podium, when it was over, the president and First Lady gave him quick nods, unsmiling, and handshakes, and left immediately.

Those seated near Bush told E&P's Joe Strupp, who was elsewhere in the room, that Bush quickly turned from an amused guest to an obviously offended target as Colbert’s comments brought up his low approval ratings and problems in Iraq.

Several veterans of past dinners, who requested anonymity, said the presentation was more directed at attacking the president than in the past. Several said previous hosts, like Jay Leno, equally slammed both the White House and the press corps.

“This was anti-Bush,” said one attendee. “Usually they go back and forth between us and him.” Another noted that Bush quickly turned unhappy, and left the dais shortly after while most seated near him, including Colbert and Snow, glad-handed the crowd. “You could see he stopped smiling about halfway through Colbert,” he reported.

After the gathering, Snow, while nursing a Heineken outside the Chicago Tribune reception, declined to comment on Colbert. “I’m not doing entertainment reviews,” he said. “I thought the president was great, though.”

Strupp, in the crowd during the Colbert routine, had observed that quite a few sitting near him looked a little uncomfortable at times, perhaps feeling the material was a little too biting--or too much speaking "truthiness" to power.

Asked by E&P after it was over if he thought he'd been too harsh, Colbert said, "Not at all." Was he trying to make a point politically or just get laughs? "Just for laughs," he said. He said he did not pull any material for being too strong, just for time reasons. (He later said the president told him "good job" when he walked off.)

Helen Thomas told Strupp her segment with Colbert was "just for fun."

In its report on the affair, USA Today asserted that some in the crowd cracked up over Colbert but others were "bewildered." Wolf Blitzer of CNN said he thought Colbert was funny and "a little on the edge."

Earlier, the president had addrssed the crowd with a Bush impersonator alongside, with the faux-Bush speaking precisely and the real Bush deliberately mispronouncing words, such as the inevitable "nuclear." At the close, Bush called the imposter "a fine talent. In fact, he did all my debates with Senator Kerry."

Among attendees at the black tie event: Morgan Fairchild, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Justice Antonin Scalia, George Clooney, and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter of the Doobie Brothers--in a kilt.

icapants

Postby icapants » Wed May 03, 2006 10:36 am

I just saw the video for this last night. It was.. there are no words, really.
The love I have for stephen colbert right now is unending. +

http://thankyoustephencolbert.org/

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Thu May 04, 2006 6:18 am

Like Jon Stewart said... That guys got balls.

If only the REAL press did.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Thu May 04, 2006 4:48 pm

i found it painful to watch. i mean...the president was right there. yikes. while all his points were true and valid, i didn't think his jokes were very funny.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu May 04, 2006 5:14 pm

Speaking truthiness....

I thought the 'reality has a well known liberal bias' was pretty good.

In any case, its got to be hard to right really jokey material about Bush administration. How do you write a good-natured rib about prisoner torture, not responding to Katrina, or bringing the country into war?

No You Are

Postby No You Are » Fri May 05, 2006 6:48 am

That's the sad part. There is so much real disaster and unbelievable failure surrounding the administration that you can't even "roast" them.

Oh well, it's probably the first dissent the president has heard... then again, he probably thought Colbert was being sincere.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sat May 06, 2006 10:09 am

chelsea wrote:i found it painful to watch. i mean...the president was right there. yikes. while all his points were true and valid, i didn't think his jokes were very funny.

Painful to watch maybe, but I think gwb deserved every single he got to hear.

whathedickens

Postby whathedickens » Tue May 09, 2006 6:36 pm

Haha, gotta say...I'm moderately conservative on most issues, but I laughed my butt off when I saw this. Colbert is just too much. The man has balls of steel! So cool. :D
Last edited by whathedickens on Sun May 14, 2006 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlitos

Postby carlitos » Sat May 13, 2006 9:42 am

gw got pwned!

Ogdred Weary

Postby Ogdred Weary » Mon May 15, 2006 4:13 pm

All I can say is, finally. If only the president was even remotely aware of what a huge failure he is.....

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Mon May 15, 2006 5:50 pm

Ogdred Weary wrote:All I can say is, finally. If only the president was even remotely aware of what a huge failure he is.....

you don't think he's even remotely aware? he must surely know his approval ratings of late.

Ogdred Weary

Postby Ogdred Weary » Tue May 16, 2006 10:55 am

Given that he seems to be barely aware of his opposable thumbs and what they're for ....yeah. All sarcasam aside, you're right. What bothers me is how he seems to be completely unfazed by it all. {Katrina, et al} I mean, if Stephen Colbert compared anything I did to the Hindenberg, I'd be in a bit of a hurry to see what I could do to remedy the problem.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue May 16, 2006 6:24 pm

yes, the unfazed factor is indeed the problem.

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed May 17, 2006 11:08 am

Ogdred Weary wrote:All I can say is, finally. If only the president was even remotely aware of what a huge failure he is.....

Well at least his wife certainly doesn't:

From Reuters:

Laura Bush doesn't believe bad polls

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. First lady Laura Bush said on Sunday she does not believe opinion polls showing her husband's approval ratings at record low levels.

Interviewed on Fox News Sunday, Laura Bush said she did not think people were losing confidence in President George W. Bush, despite a series of polls showing support for him at its lowest point in his five-year presidency and among the lowest for any president in the past 50 years.

"I don't really believe those polls. I travel around the country. I see people, I see their responses to my husband. I see their response to me," she said.

"As I travel around the United States, I see a lot of appreciation for him. A lot of people come up to me and say, 'Stay the course'."

Many recent polls have put Bush's job approval rating below 35 percent. One, the Harris poll, published last Friday, measured his approval at 29 percent, the first time any survey has put his support below the 30 percent mark. Two other polls published last week put his job approval at 31 percent.

In a separate interview on ABC's "This Week," Laura Bush said her husband's popularity was suffering because the country had been through a difficult year.

We've had a very, very difficult year, starting with the hurricane last September, but already because of the terrorist attack in 2001 and then the war on terror since then," she said. "He's the one that has to make the hard decisions. And, of course, they don't please everyone."

Mrs. Bush complained that when her husband's popularity was high, newspapers did not put that on the front page. Now it was low, they took great delight in highlighting the fact.

Asked if she thought the media had been unfair, Mrs. Bush said: "No, I don't think it's necessarily unfair. I think it's just, you know, I think they may be enjoying this a little bit."

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Wed May 17, 2006 5:34 pm

there are so many things wrong with what she (laura bush) has said that i don't even know where to begin...

No You Are

Postby No You Are » Thu May 18, 2006 6:19 am

Hey Laura, when you don't allow anyone that doesn't sign a "loyalty agreement" into your rallies and speeches, you're gonna see a lot of friendly faces.

I liked Rove's explination on the numbers (paraphrased, so the quote marks are just to make the post look pretty)....

"The reason the poll numbers are low is because of the war"

You think? Really?

"The only reason the poll numbers are down is because people are paying attention."

"You know, the only reason that girl doesn't like me is because I punched her in the face and ate her cat. Not my fault."

Ogdred Weary

Postby Ogdred Weary » Thu May 18, 2006 12:30 pm

Indeed. I think my friend put it perfectly. She's the Southern Belle dreamwife personified - complete w/vacant stare.

Return to “Cattywampus”