The Ice Saints

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

The Ice Saints

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu May 04, 2006 12:27 pm

I've been doing some research, and I came across The Ice Saints. All I can find out about them was that they're more well known in Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands, as well as the following:

Those saints whose days fall in what is called “the black-thorn winter”—that is, the second week in May (between 11 and 14). Some give only three days, but whether 11, 12, 13 or 12, 13, 14 is not agreed. May 11th is the day of St. Mamertus, May 12th of St. Pancratius, May 13th of St. Servatius, and May 14th of St. Boniface. 1
“Ces saincts passent pour saincts gresleurs, geleurs, et gateurs du bourgeon.”—Rabelais.

I was hoping some folks on here might have some extra insight to them, or the saints. If you do I would really appreciate it!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu May 04, 2006 5:04 pm

I'm not familiar, but I googled it and found a saint podcast, or SaintCast:

feed://rss.mac.com/pcamarata/iWeb/Saint ... st/rss.xml

There's an episode on there about 'The Frost Saints' which appear to to be the same thing.

Another site said they were important for the harvest, as a rule farmers didn:t plant until after the Icemen leaveth. And old Pope Gregory the VIII changed the calendar so the original Ice Saint days were from May 19-22.

site: http://www.mcuniverse.com/The__Ice_Saints.753.0.html

Seems to have little to do with the actual saints and thier stories, but more just the days they were assigned.

Interesting stuff!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri May 05, 2006 9:38 am

it is a common Dutch gardening rule of thumb that until the ice saints there's the chance of night frost, and thus it is unwise to plant anything that cannot survive that. I always had 11 May in my head, didn't know that was the first day of the IJsheiligen.

Until now I had no idea what these saints were called, just that around mid-May it's safe to put anything in the ground. Of course, my garden is not on ground floor level, but on the first floor, which makes it less susceptible to night frost...

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon May 22, 2006 5:12 am

Thanks so much for all of your help! Incidentally, we got a frost warning this evening, which is just about the right time Pope Gregory the VIII's calendar would have it! Woo!

Return to “Cattywampus”