This Bear Is Going To Complicate Matters Somewhat.

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

This Bear Is Going To Complicate Matters Somewhat.

Postby Squid » Thu May 11, 2006 8:04 am

So after all our heated discussions in the Pleasuredome about which animal reigns supreme...it would seem that a half grizzly, half polar bear hybrid has been discovered in the wild.

It's a shame that this information was discovered post-mortem, but still, extremely interesting. Here we are talking 'bout fighting, and the bears? They just want to love, man.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Fri May 12, 2006 6:20 am

Colbert had it on the "Threat Down" the other night.

He's been warning us about those souless killing machines for months... when will we learn?

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Wed May 24, 2006 9:06 am

On a related topic:

Problem bear is back!

A wild bear spotted in the German state of Bavaria is believed to have moved back to Austria, a day after officials said it should be captured or killed.
"There have been no sightings or signs of the bear today," said a spokesman for Bavaria's environment ministry.

The bear - who initially got a warm welcome - is believed to have killed seven sheep since it was first spotted over the weekend.

It is thought to be the first bear to roam wild in Germany since 1835.

'Problem bear'

"Local authorities believe that he [the bear] has returned to Austria," Bavarian Environment Ministry spokesman Roland Eichhorn said.

On Sunday, the southern German state's Environment Minister Werner Schnappauf had said the bear was "welcome in Bavaria", and told people they had nothing to fear from the beast.

But by Tuesday, he was describing the animal as "a problem bear".

"A man-bear encounter could occur at any time. It cannot be allowed to roam freely. We will ask hunters to shoot the bear," the minister said.

Bavaria's animal rights groups described the minister's decision as "hysterical".

Now the bear is equally in danger on the southern side of the border, as officials in Austria have also given orders for the bear to be shot, if seen.

Worried farmers

The bear, estimated to weigh 100kg (220lbs), stirred much interest across Germany after its excursion into the Bavarian Alps.

The country's Bild newspaper published pictures of sheep carcasses found in the area and their worried owners.

"It gutted them and then just ate their hearts and livers," the newspaper quoted a local farmer as saying.

Experts said the young male, thought to have been introduced into the wild in Italy, had entered Germany across the Austrian border, probably in search of a mate.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Wed May 24, 2006 11:55 am

They had recently found and killed a bear IN Seattle. In the city. Crazy

icapants

Postby icapants » Wed May 24, 2006 12:07 pm

Karousme wrote:They had recently found and killed a bear IN Seattle. In the city. Crazy

This made me sooo sad when I saw it on the news. They literally showed pictures of wildlife people carring the bear and like, THROWING IT into the truck.

I mean, sure, it's dead.. but have some respect. :(

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu May 25, 2006 8:46 am

icapants wrote:
Karousme wrote:They had recently found and killed a bear IN Seattle. In the city. Crazy

This made me sooo sad when I saw it on the news. They literally showed pictures of wildlife people carring the bear and like, THROWING IT into the truck.

I mean, sure, it's dead.. but have some respect. :(

But, they're the number one threat to America! Its us or them!

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Thu May 25, 2006 12:39 pm

The bears hate our freedom

zach

Postby zach » Thu May 25, 2006 3:53 pm

If it lives, the terrorists/bears win.

I tried to put a strike through "terrorists" but it didn't work... hence the edits.

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri May 26, 2006 10:32 am

zach wrote:If it lives, the terrorists/bears win.

Well some British guy paid for an insurance for "problem bear" Bruno, so any damage he does will be covered and there's no more need to shoot him.

But then I guess you already knew that Europeans support the bears/terrorists.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat May 27, 2006 2:54 pm

French farmers in the Pyrenees are in fierce protest over the current release of five female bears into the wild. They fear their livelihood will be further compromised, while the state and animal rights groups think this will help the natural order of things after the last female bear was shot about a year ago.
I'm not siding with anyone but the bears, who are likely to be the ones suffering the consequences of this disagreement.

Return to “Cattywampus”