I am thinking about two things.

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

I am thinking about two things.

Postby Squid » Wed May 17, 2006 4:16 pm

In case you hadn't noticed, I rather rudely use this board as my brain playground when I hit my Office Saturation Point. I just hit it. So I'm jumping on the swings and thinking aloud about:

1) Today's UEFA final. Barcelona running Arsenal into the ground in the last 15 minutes of the game to win 2-1. I imagine Galleta and her Summer Fling roaming the streets, toasting Ronaldinho...while my brother sits at home, weeping, wondering wtf Arsenal's goalie was thinking, getting red carded. wtf, indeed. [Sub-thought:Twenty-three longass days to World Cup]

2) This new Marie Antoinette flick that Sofia Coppola is doing with Kirsten Dunst as Marie, Jonathan Schwartzman as Louis XVI, Marianne Faithfull as Maria Teresa - and a totally 80's soundtrack. Interesting.

EDIT: okay, not totally totally 80's, but a great deal of it is.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed May 17, 2006 4:39 pm

1.) Several of my co-workers are bleary-eyed this morning from getting up at 4am to watch that. 4AM!! To watch sports! Must be a big deal.

2.) Meh.

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed May 17, 2006 4:52 pm

Betty! I'm shocked. Here I am, finally giving into the cult of Sofia (which is a little like being beheaded anyways), and...nary a flicker of interest from thou?

I just like the part about the champagne, really.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Fri May 19, 2006 5:51 am

She should have just kept the soundtrack to Adam Ant.

Squid

Postby Squid » Fri May 19, 2006 7:53 am

Good God, you're right! She should've gotten Adam Ant himself to be in the damn movie! We already know he likes to run around in lace - it would've been perfect. I mean, she put Rip Torn in it, why the hell not?

They were playing some 80s mix at the gym yesterday and "Stand and Deliver" came on. It was so inspiring!

"Staaand and Deliver [oh whoa ho] your money or your life [bluggabluggabluggabluggablugga] HO!"

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Fri May 19, 2006 8:11 am

Squid wrote:"Staaand and Deliver [oh whoa ho] your money or your life [bluggabluggabluggabluggablugga] HO!"

This, if we were ever allowed signatures, would be my new one. Hilarious AND danceable!

I liked that trailer, it's too bad we won't be able to see the film until the fall (thanks alot Sony!). Does anyone else really have a problem with Schwartzman's acting? Or am I alone in this?

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri May 19, 2006 9:27 am

These days Adam Ant looks terribly run down and bloated, I'm sad to report.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Fri May 19, 2006 4:30 pm

Will Johnson of Centro-Matic? Barcelona fan.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Fri May 19, 2006 7:41 pm

sometimes kirsten dunst is so cute/pretty that it's annoying, but the trailer makes me think i'll still see the film.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

I am thinking about two things, too.

Postby Moni » Sun May 21, 2006 4:33 am

Squid wrote:1) Today's UEFA final. Barcelona running Arsenal into the ground in the last 15 minutes of the game to win 2-1. I imagine Galleta and her Summer Fling roaming the streets, toasting Ronaldinho...while my brother sits at home, weeping, wondering wtf Arsenal's goalie was thinking, getting red carded. wtf, indeed.

I think most of continental Europe is with galleta on this one. British soccer teams aren't so popular. Except the Scottish ones of course.

[Sub-thought:Twenty-three longass days to World Cup]

Oh dear. Please don't remind me. I'm not saying that because the World Cup is another thing where we got snubbed cos our sucking is so damn intense, I just get fairly easily annoyed by all things soccer.

galleta

Postby galleta » Mon May 22, 2006 7:11 am

Galleta must announce that she has just finished celebrating barça’s victory.

She’s tired.
She’s very tired.

Plus she got her fucking handbag stolen!! Argh!! Damn the World!

ps- it's got nothing to do with soccer. It's just that british aren't so popular. in general.
pss- anyone coming to primavera sound?? anyone??

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon May 22, 2006 2:36 pm

galleta wrote:Plus she got her fucking handbag stolen!! Argh!! Damn the World!

Ugh. That SUCKS. Biggest pain the ass ever, replacing all the important documents and wonderful little purse things.

But congrats on your sports victory. Sounds like you know how to appreciate these things.

re: 2.) I'm sorry Squid.

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon May 22, 2006 2:56 pm

Don't be sorry - you're just not as easily impressed by the combination of Versailles and New Order as I am. I just love pretty colors, I guess. And attractively filmed french pastry.

Galleta what happened with your purse? That sucks.

galleta

Postby galleta » Tue May 23, 2006 11:35 pm

my ipooooooooooooood!!

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed May 24, 2006 8:11 am

The sheer inconvenience of it all is maddening. That totally blows, galleta!

Oh, and consider yerself vindicated, Madame Betty, it sounds like something else might possibly blow, too: Coppola's period drama falls flat.

Marie-Antoinette, one of the early favourites for the Palme d'Or at Cannes Film Festival, was booed at the end of the first press screening on Wednesday.

Depends how much creedence you put in Cannes, I suppose. But I don't think it was meant to be a "serious" retrospective? Apparently, it's being shot from the vantage point of Marie as a teen - thus probably fluffier than a serious history buff might want it.

The trouble here, I would think, is the assumption that the life of a teenager was the same as it is today. Don't get me wrong, girls have been giggling at boys since the dawn of time, but...I just can't help but wonder if court life bred a more mature young adult than one raised without elevated social status?

And THEN, of course, I have to contradict myself and think, well, wasn't any young sovereign really just a pawn of the court and/or their advisors? So how much maturity did a teen king/queen really have? Maybe Coppola's spot on, afterall.

I'm sorry you guys. I'm thinking way too much about this stupid movie.

Return to “Cattywampus”