there's hope yet for Europe

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

there's hope yet for Europe

Postby Liesbeth » Wed May 31, 2006 11:51 am

finally the European Union seems to be coming to their senses, and puts to debate the ridiculous practice of moving its parliament from Brussels to Strasbourg part of the year, which costs about 200 million euros annually.

any Europeans in the EU who want to sign the petition, go to http://www.oneseat.eu/

it only takes another 700.000 signing this to get a citizen's initiative, so pass it on, pass it on!

</end political mode>

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed May 31, 2006 1:46 pm

Because I'm too cute to be disliked for long, I'll throw on my Stupid American Hat and ask a question: is there a historical significance that dictated those two locales being chosen? Some sort of compromise where each city represents a geographical or idealogical hub of some sort?

Sure, I could look it up, but I'm asking YOU, Long Winters board, because "you" know everything! True fact.

Ogdred Weary

Postby Ogdred Weary » Wed May 31, 2006 7:57 pm

Ha ha ;)

The buzz on the grapevine is that the Long Winters board is en route to curing cancer as we know it. In addition, we're also going to finally answer the age old question; Who's greater - Pirates or Ninjas?

zach

Postby zach » Wed May 31, 2006 10:03 pm

Ogdred Weary wrote:Who's greater - Pirates or Ninjas?

Oh no, don't start that here!

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:49 am

The reason can be traced directly back to the source of all of europe's 20th century problems: french intransigence!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:55 am

To further confuse matters, there's also Luxemburg (city) in the equation.

Strasbourg was the seat of the Council of Europe and therefore some meetings took place there. The General Secretariat was installed at the site of the Council of Ministers and the European Commission, which was then Luxemburg (we're talking 1950s here).
In 1958 it was decided that the Council of Ministers and Commission would seat in the country holding the rotating presidency of the EC. Accidentally, of the founding members, Belgium came first in line and this coincidental fact made it the provisional capital of the Community for more than 40 years.

But that's just how it started. If you want to know the full dilly, go to the fact page on the http://www.oneseat.eu/, it's really long, but makes for an intriguing read and gives a good insight to what the EU is like.

galleta

Postby galleta » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:45 pm

España no es Europa.

Return to “Cattywampus”