massive heatwave

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

massive heatwave

Postby Moni » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:21 am

Seems to be everywhere.
Members of the Polish parliament have started praying for rain (aah living in a Catholic country). And right now there's no end to the heat in sight.
I'm about to melt.
Anyone else?

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:54 am

Actually, it just got much cooler here, dropping nearly 20F degrees. Very welcome, even to someone who likes it hot as I do. Temperature dropped into the 70s (again, F) last night for the first time in ages. Lovely.

What's up with the melting British roads, that's what I want to know. What the hell are those things made of?? I know they never expected this sort of heat up there, but really...what the hell do you make roads out of that they fucking melt at less than 100F?!?!

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:10 am

It's not too bad here, we had a nice cool spell for a couple weeks (mid-80s or around 30C and rain/thunderstorms) but now it's back to the mid-90s (~35C), which is more or less average for this time of year. Still a little warm for me, but it just means I go to work/mall/movies where there's air conditioning a little more often.

I talked to my parents yesterday though and it was 100+ in Portland on Friday, which is pretty damn hot for up there...I'm just glad I don't live in Phoenix, those folks are crazy...

icapants

Postby icapants » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:26 am

the new girl wrote:I talked to my parents yesterday though and it was 100+ in Portland on Friday, which is pretty damn hot for up there...I'm just glad I don't live in Phoenix, those folks are crazy...

Yeah, Seattle's been in the 90's the last couple of days. There are only like four days a year when it's this warm, but it doesn't make it any easier.

sabirah

Postby sabirah » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:56 am

Portland has been pretty hot too. On Friday it was predicted to be in the low 100's and just my luck I locked my keys in my apartment right before the TLW show and had to perform all sorts of embarasing stunts in the massive heat to get my keys back so I could make it to the show! It's really bad to lock my keys in my apartment because there is a locked gate to the street and so it essentially means I'm locked in my backyard and can't get out too. ...a fabulous thing during a heat wave.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:09 am

A thunderstorm just started here!

icapants

Postby icapants » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:23 am

sour29 wrote:A thunderstorm just started here!

Guh! Lucky!

One of the things I miss most about living in California is the summer storms. It'll be like, 75 or 80 degrees and just pouring down rain and thunder and lighting. You don't see that all to often in Seattle... well, you see rain. But not the super combo.

Squid

Postby Squid » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:43 pm

Really? Where did you live in California, Ica? Summer storms are actually the thing I miss about Florida!

I just got home and it's a sexy 72 here in San Francisco...made all the more sexy by the fact that it was 115 when I left my Mom's house in Morgan Hill about 1 hr ago. What a difference 70 mi. makes.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:50 pm

Ga. I used to have one of those secret loves of rain storms and blackouts and snowdays and such. Lovely muted color and quiet, excuse to just read inside all day.....

But it's been raining non-stop since July 14th here, and I've just about had it with wet shoes, too cold air conditioning, and laundry that is never quite dry.

Rainy season is for the birds.

icapants

Postby icapants » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:55 pm

I was born and (basically) raised in San Diego. Or, if you really know your california, el cajon.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:50 pm

Squid wrote:Really? Where did you live in California, Ica? Summer storms are actually the thing I miss about Florida!

I just got home and it's a sexy 72 here in San Francisco...made all the more sexy by the fact that it was 115 when I left my Mom's house in Morgan Hill about 1 hr ago. What a difference 70 mi. makes.

You drive quite fast,ne?

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:29 pm

yay global warming!

i hate the heat. the pets aren't liking it much either.

galleta

Postby galleta » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:24 am

anyone said heat?

PITY ME! I LIVE IN SPAIN!
We're forced to run around half-naked all day long.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:02 am

there's a travel agency called 'No-Sun Holidays' doing really well in the Netherlands right now. It's now so warm here that it barely cools down in the night (20C not being my idea of an ideal minimum).

Of course, soon I will be out of this hell and into the wonderful 22C of Ireland. People for once are actually jealous instead of pitying us for our holiday destination. Not looking forward to traveling by unaircoed train to the airport on a 34C day though...

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:36 am

Freaking hot 'round here.

had some rain this morning... cooled off nicely. Now Senor Sun is out again and it is hot and humid.

Again.

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:21 pm

icapants wrote: ...There are only like four days a year when it's this warm, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Hahahaha...yes it does! If you don't believe me, come stay with me for the rest of the summer (read: till October).
It's lovely now, only in the 90s, but we'll get back to normal soon enough, I think.

Tell you what, though: if there were a LW concert in the bowels of hell and I could go, I bloody well would!!

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:30 pm

I jumped into the Puget Sound yesterday. I immediately jumped out again because it was really cold. But those 10 seconds cooled me off, that's for sure.

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 pm

Betty Felon wrote:
Squid wrote:Really? Where did you live in California, Ica? Summer storms are actually the thing I miss about Florida!

You drive quite fast,ne?

Math nerd just clocked my ride! Color me cold busted.

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:25 am

galleta wrote:PITY ME! I LIVE IN SPAIN!
We're forced to run around half-naked all day long.

Well what do you think we are doing here... :)
But now I know the reason why many people in Spain like to go to the Canaries for a vacation (apart from the fact that everyone of them is gorgeous), instead of just taking a trip to the coast... the weather's so nicely un-hot down there.....

And right now I'd kill for a night of only 20°C.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:08 am

this is why I'm not going to Spain until mid-September :)

Return to “Cattywampus”