Of Montreal

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Of Montreal

Postby No You Are » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:43 am

So, went and saw Of Montreal last night here in Iowa City. I must say, I came away impressed. Great show. I had heard them on KEXP, but not much else beforehand. Good stuff.

Anybody else down with the Of Montreal?

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:07 pm

I've been trying to get down with them...but much like Pale Fire by Nabokov, they have eluded my grasp. I keep picking up their CDs at Borders, and putting them back down, buying only what I came for instead (I always forget to check Nabokov out of the library). Anyone suggest a starting disc?

heather

Postby heather » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:59 pm

Cherry Peel and Satanic Panic in the Attic

semi_retarded

Postby semi_retarded » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:12 pm

They are one of my top five favourite bands.
They have a great live show.
Their CDs I think, make sliced bread and landing on the moon like childsplay.
Love for them.

dianna

Postby dianna » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:31 pm

I went to their recent show in Greensboro...the live sound wasn't so good, though. I'm hoping it was just because I was in a really shitty spot, but I wish I could have enjoyed the show more.

A Mess

Postby A Mess » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:40 pm

^ I almost went to that show, but would have gone mostly to see the minders since i've seen of montreal 3 times already. I ended up catching the minders at local 506 and it was awesome. Anyways...of montreal is very diverse from album to album with the twee acoustic poppish (cherry peel) the disco (sundlandic twins) the 60s harmonies phyc rock (Adhils and Satanic) so on and so on. My personal favorite is the Gay Parade, in which they get all wacky and cute and terribly popmindingly infectious.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:14 pm

i had the most bizarre experience at my last Of Montreal show. I went alone, and stood behind some young kids that were really dancing wildly, havin a great ol time. It was very crowded. Suddenly this very tall man stepped in front of me (me: 5 foot naught tiny chick, him: big guy), and as my back was againt a wall, I was effectively barracaded behind him. I asked nicely if I could stand in front, and he didn't seem to mind. 10 min later, I feel a very hard, intentional punch to my back, and when I turned, some chick had joined the guy and was glaring at me. I asked if she had hit me, she didn't deny it, so of course I told her to go pleasure herself, to which the boyfriend says "Oh great, a violent Of Montreal fan." It was so surreal, I mean to be assaulted, essentially, and then accused of being violent! Odd. All I could figure later was that the wild kids in front were annoying her, she thought I was with them, and punched me. Sigh, these kids today...

Anyway, the show itself was quite good.

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:39 pm

Back in the olden days of SXSW before it totally exploded with day and nighttime shows, it seemed like there was only one real Wednesday happening: the Kindercore showcase. Five hours of utterly pleasant music and smiling indie kiddies. The concept of a violent, like, thought, let alone *punch* coming from someone in that crowd would've been mindblowing.

You handled that a lot better than I would have. Kudos.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:02 pm

well, i could have taken the chick, but her boyfriend was really big, so i just had to walk away. i'm not sure i was taking the high road as much as just escaping. but if i ever run into her again with my posse, we'll have a rumble, i tell you.

semi_retarded

Postby semi_retarded » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:01 pm

the hutch wrote:..she didn't deny it, so of course I told her to go pleasure herself.....

Well first of all this made me "roll on the floor laughing" while effectivly managing to stay in my chair completely silent!

There was a giant at the last Of Montreal show I went to as well... I think he was also at Rilo Kily... everyone calls him Gentle Giant..

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:23 pm

This is exactly why you should never go anywhere without your retractable, home-made Wolverine claws....

icapants

Postby icapants » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:52 am

sour29 wrote:This is exactly why you should never go anywhere without your retractable, home-made Wolverine claws.

=/

A Mess

Postby A Mess » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:15 am

I just saw them today! For free! Outside on Duke University's campus! It was amazing and Kevin Barnes spent most of the set getting naked, as usual.

dianna

Postby dianna » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:43 am

My friend Rachel was there...she said it was great. I forgot about it until afterwards.

Return to “Cattywampus”