Spin-Off Topic! What sex are you, anyhow?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Spin-Off Topic! What sex are you, anyhow?

Postby sour29 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:21 am

I mean, it would be significantly easier for c-dog to dream about us if she at least knew what sex we were.

Also, I highly recommend everyone post their hottest MySpace angle pictures, so we have a slim chance of recognizing each other when we run into each other at concerts. See: Squid and eric2's encounter at the recent Jason Lytle show.

And then, to top it all off, why don't you say a little something about yourself? This will be a real life "getting to know you" thread!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:14 am

Alright, I'll go first.

I am a male. Supposedly. 23 Years old. Born and raised in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada. Went to University in Ottawa (same province, same country) at Carleton University, where I majored in Film Studies and minored in English Literature and Language. That being said, I still can't accurately tell you whether Kyle is one syllable or two.

I am now back in Scarborough, living at home again, and doing next to nothing until all the jobs open up in the fall when the high schooler's go back to school. To make what little money I did this summer, I umpired softball games for both adults and kids (8-12). The kids are a load of fun, and really brighten up my summer. The adults, on the other hand.... well, not so much.

I read a lot of Stephen King books. I don't know why. I really, really loved the Dark Tower series, though. Despite the fact that I am 23, I watch an disproportionate amount of WB Teen dramas. Recently, I watched the entire series of Everwood. I have also recently started Smallville, and am now some two and a half seasons in. I think it all started with Party of Five (which, granted, was a Fox drama...but Fox doesn't do teen dramas anymore. EDIT: at least any good ones) and it all went down hill from there. I've started watching more grown up shows, like Lost, but I don't obsess over them like some people. I prefer to watch as little TV as possible. In fact, I download almost everything I watch and it seems less like I'm a TV junkie.

I play a bit of guitar. I'm self-taught, so in spite of the fact that I've been playing for just about a decade now, I still insist that I play "a bit of" guitar. I recently took up bass and keyboard's for my best (male) friend's band. I should clarify -- I have one male best friend, and one female best friend. I think it's important to balance it as such, and not to put all your eggs in one basket.

I also have three dogs now, as I'm sure you've all heard already, and four less teeth. I would have a really hard time picking a favourite band, but if I had to limit myself to one, it would be The Smashing Pumpkins. I have, like, a gazillion of their cds (LPs, EPs, singles, record promos, bootlegs, etc). I have stopped listening to them in recent years (and am not terribly excited about their so-called reunion), as I've turned more towards indie music. But since I'm not really actually all that indie, most of the stuff I like is on two of the "major indies"...Barsuk and Saddle Creek. I love, love, love the Long Winters (obviously), Nada Surf, The Good Life, Bright Eyes, Cursive, etc. I was a big Death Cab fan, but Plans was a little touch-and-go for me. I saw them on the tour regardless, and the show was just flat out boring so I've had a difficult time bringing myself to listen to them recently. Which is too bad, because I do recognize their awesimilatude.

Umm. Otherwise, there's really not much to say about me. I'm a picky eater, and I gave up being a vegetarian after a year because I missed hot dogs. True story.

OK, now your turn. Everyone share!

I'm on the left in this picture.

c-dog

Postby c-dog » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:31 pm

Since I was the one who incited this thread I will go next.

Female, 26, currently in Orlando, originally from Buffalo. Went to a SUNY school majored in English/American Lit. I now work at the Orlando Museum of Art getting paid to ask people for money and any other things that falls my way. My dream job would be to be a museum or non-profit arts organization's executive director. I heart jobs that do good things for people and communities.

I have musical ADD, and have more cds then I know what to do with, and my taste of the moment changes every 3 minutes. Right now, I can't stop listening to Dusty Springfield's greatest hits. I didn't own a tv until a friend gave me their old one yesterday - and apparently they don't make tvs that you just plug into the wall and turn on anymore - mine gives me nothin' but snow. Ah well now I just have to find someone to give me their old dvd player.

The only picture (that I know of) that I have online is here. I had given up my addiction to myspace, but I totally fell off the wagon recently. Oh and the other pic is my dog - who isn't a puppy - but is still pretty damn cute.

bijou

yo soy...

Postby bijou » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:36 pm

old enough to know it's no one's business how old i am but,
still secure enough in my m.y.l.f.ness (wink) to give my correct age (42...yeah, that's right - probably old enough to be mom to more than a couple of you). I am a widowed mother to my best gal. My late husband Scott was a gifted graphic designer and photographer, and he died of a heart attack four months after we moved to the NW. I live in a tiny town along the skykomish river and am in my second year of a graphic/web design degree from Everett Community College. Tomorrow will be four years since we arrived from Las Vegas, and though I still mourn the loss of the family i arrived with... i have been blessed with many things that would not have otherwise happened...school, a good friendship with my younger brother (who is also my roommate and a solid male influence on his niece) and a nice home and way of life i could not have had back in nevada. i am (dare i say it without sounding crazy?) lucky, although i view the world and its priorities with much different eyes than the ones i arrived with. being a widow is much different from being divorced. he or i didn't leave each other because there was no love... so it's a little harder to leave celibacy behind in favor of angry divorcees or faithless girlfriend/spouse cheaters. i know enough about relationships enough to know they are sincerely not defined by jewelry choices. and i'm happy enough in my own skin to pursue my goals to better my life and make my own definition of a family.

zornog

Postby zornog » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:47 pm

Yay! I love these kinds of threads! I like reading about people's lives. :)

I'm 23, I live in Nampa, Idaho, which is about thirty miles west of Boise (the capital). Pictures of me can be found everywhere, but you can start by just going to my myspace. I'm a Theatre Arts major at Boise State University, where I study play/screenwriting and acting. This will hopefully be my last year but it's funny how those sorts of things always fall through when you least expect it.

I play guitar, self-taught since 2003ish, and I write silly songs. I'm playing a show this Friday, in fact! Go me. I'll probably play "It'll Be A Breeze," too. That song is awesome.

My favorite band, hands down, is the Decemberists, but I also of course enjoy the Long Winters, as well as Radiohead, NMH, blah blah blah indie cred.

I used to play a lot of video games, but technology has surpassed my wallet. So while everyone is getting their Oblivion on, I'm sitting back and making characters for Baldur's Gate II (and then hating them and making new ones).

I work at Hastings. It's a books-music-movies kind of place. I make a measly salary but it's a fun place to work anyway.

uhhh ... that's about it, really. I'm a Taurus, and thus notoriously lazy. So I don't do much.

sour29

Re: yo soy...

Postby sour29 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:29 pm

bijou wrote:old enough to know it's no one's business how old i am [...] make my own definition of a family.

Wow. What a touching, heart-warming story! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks to everyone, actually. I'm surprised and impressed everyone is doing such a great, thorough job of participating. It's so tempting to hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

bijou

thanks sour

Postby bijou » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:01 pm

still on the mashed potato wagon??? SOFT FOODS ROCK!! heh heh heh
(;-D)

i live in the middle of nowhere ... i gaze on my wonka bar blue sky...it's still grey and hazy down the hill, august summer dog days, the sun hangs soft in the sky until after 9, dried lavender, sweet blackberries, hungry songbirds starting migrations from the cascades, the river is low and warm with swimmers and fly-fishermen - casting steelhead and salmon upstream at ten and two o'clock. water bearing great boulders serving as the jumpoff for wet swim trunks and diving deep eddy's. rope swings wide with a run and trusted release of hands, leaping high into the dark mangrove-rooted abyss...

oops... thought i was a writer for a second, forgive my digression. i live in the middle of nowhere and a post in cyberspace is better than soaking a beer <i>that i have no alcohol tolerance for</i> in sad stories that no one wants to hear.

or as Hank Williams would say...<i> There's a tear in my beer...</i>
(;-D)

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:38 pm

I never really liked mashed potatoes. So today, it was milk shakes with a main course of chicken-flavoured noodles. Nothing really exciting or exotic. I thought living off of milkshakes would be a blast, but truth be told... I miss BBQ. That's what summer's all about, no?

But I digress... you're an excellent writer, and I'll happily read any one of your tales at anytime.

bijou

thanks sour...

Postby bijou » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:38 pm

i regularly post in my blog when i'm on school break (like now) but fall quarter starts again the 25th of next month and then expect the blog to get listless and lose energy. i have always liked to write, and my best gal already loves words as i do. sometimes words are their own visuals and as one who loves to create both, they feed off each other well. thanks for the kind words. (;-D)

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:48 am

Oh...what the hell.

25, Male and I went to UB and 4 years later had a degree in Media Study and English. I work for a major pharmaceutical company, and I do some graphical design-y and marketing-ish things. I'm currently preparing to move to the Seattle area early next year. I really like hot dogs (its the reason I'm not veggie either [well that and Veal]), and chocolate chip cookies, and root beer and whiskey. Usually in that order. Odd.

I've made a couple short films, shot some videos, written a screenplay, several short stories, and participated 2 years running in NaNoWriMo. I coordinate a weekly writers group (http://www.buffalowritersgroup.com), with two of my close friends, one of which is my co-conspiritor in the infamous a breast comic, I'm in early production of a radio play called Zombiemo!, developing a couple website designs as well as a comic series.

That's not really a story. But oh well. There are few pictures of me, online, and I don't have a myspace page. Maybe some of the folks who HAVE seen me might oblige you with one.

ImLost@Sea

Postby ImLost@Sea » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:46 am

No better time to write a short autobiography then sitting at work trying to look busy. I am a male, two weeks away from my 24th birthday. My hometown is Harrisburg, PA and it’s utterly ridiculous here. Nothing to do, people are strange, of course that is the case with most hometowns. I went to a local college and got a degree in computer information systems, but my dream job is either a producer/studio engineer or involved in artist relations. Music is my life, I’ve played guitar for about 11 years and am currently seeking others in my area to start an indie type band. Most people around these parts want to play death metal or 80’s covers so needless to say it’s quite difficult. I have a good sense of humor but I don’t have much time to write something entirely clever right now. I just recently got into The Long Winters and I think they’re great, visit my trendy myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/fender82 for pictures and more about me, all the kids are doing it. Send me a friend request and you and Tom can compete for my cyber-affection.

dianna

Postby dianna » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:18 pm

I haven't posted much at all but I may as well participate. Jace convinced me to join the boards when I was visiting Seattle in July.

I'm of the lady-type persuasion, going to school in Chapel Hill and crafting in my spare time. I was born and raised here in North Carolina, and may or may not have an accent (it depends on who you ask, and also how drunk I am). Aside from music I like knitting, sewing, bookmaking, photography and graphic design, and I collect foreign chocolate bar wrappers. Freia Melkesjokolade is my favorite. I also really like beards.

I have a myspace and a website.

dchris

Postby dchris » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:37 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:There are few pictures of me, online, and I don't have a myspace page. Maybe some of the folks who HAVE seen me might oblige you with one.

Okay then. Here's a picture of our LoveSickJerk with our Unremarkable that I took at the Sasquatch Festival in 2004. Here's the same picture taken by Chelsea at the Sasquatch festival in 2006.

Now can I talk about me? I am a girl! I am not a boy!

I'm three days shy of my 26th birthday, with a recently-acquired BA in Linguistics from UF. Current plans include attending whatever graduate school is kind enough to accept me, ideally close enough to the South Florida area to allow me to live rent-free with Mom for a while. I got through my undergrad by working two (and for a while, three) jobs to cover my extravagant cost of living, but that sort of thing won't work with graduate study. I want to work in the US teaching English as a Second Language to adult immigrants when I am done with school. Maybe in community colleges. I think. I change my mind a lot.

Looking at my CD collection, you could gather that my all-time favorite band is the Beatles, as I have not only every Beatles CD, but also most of the post-Beatles solo stuff, due to an obsessive completist plase I went through in the mid-to-late 1990s. And yes, I still listen to it all. Even Ringo. Especially Ringo, as last.fm can verify. I've also developed a reputation of something of a raging, crazy Harvey Danger fan, though that has leveled to a more reasonable degree over time.

Of course I have a myspace.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:01 pm

this is a great thread! i don't know why i find other people's lives endlessly fascinating...maybe it's just that everyone around here is fascinating!

well, i'm chelsea and that does make me a girl. i'll be 25 on tuesday the 22nd of august, which means that dchris and i have the same birthday.

i live on top of lovely queen anne hill in seattle (a block and half away from this view) and spend my days at the polyclinic (a multi-specialty medical clinic) on another one seattle's hills. it's not a dream job by any stretch of the imagination, but it could be worse. however, i'm planning on finding new employment by the end of the year, though i'm not exactly sure what i'd rather do, as my degree from the university of washington is in french and that doesn't open a lot of doors in seattle. if i had it to do all over again, i'd go into journalism, as i've discovered over the past couple years how much i enjoy writing, especially about places i've been and things i've done. travel writing seems like an ideal job at the moment.

in my precious time away from work, i often find myself wandering around the city and listening to my ipod. i walk the three miles between my apartment and work every friday morning and try to walk home from work on the days that i'm not wearing heels. i've been known to say "death would be better than a life without music" and besides the long winters, i love love love the beatles, nada surf, belle & sebastian, andrew bird, the decemberists, death cab, rilo kiley, bright eyes, ozma, weezer, and much other music of the sort. i've also started listening to older music over the past year such as billie holiday, bessie smith, the andrews sisters, and swing and such. every saturday night that i'm near a radio, i turn on the swing years and beyond, which is indeed on right now as i type.

i read as much as i can, but mainly newspapers and magazines. over lunch everyday, i read the seattle post-intelligencer. i read music magazines like paste and under the radar and filter and the big take-over voraciously and eagerly await the new issues every few months. people magazine is a semi-guilty pleasure. i've been on more of a book reading kick as of late; currently it's talk to the hand by lynne truss. for some reason, i always lean to non-fiction before fiction.

film is another thing i can't live without. i volunteered for the seattle international film festival this past spring and saw six films that were part of it. i see just about every french film that comes through seattle and thoroughly enjoy most non-blockbuster type films. everyone go see "the puffy chair" and "mutual appreciation" if they're in or coming to your towns.

if i didn't work, i'd spend more time playing the piano, painting, and taking photographs. sadly, these are the activities that get brushed aside when i'm busy with other things.

okay i've already written too much, so i'll end it here with a link to me on myspace.

pluieverte

Postby pluieverte » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:31 pm

I suppose I'll take this as an opportunity to introduce myself.

I'm female. I'm also 17, living in metro-Detroit, vegan, artsy, honorarily French, and a huge fan of the Long Winters. I'm not feeling particularly wordy this evening; so, if you want to know more about me, you'll just have to PM me.

icapants

Postby icapants » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:50 pm

dchris wrote:
LoveSickJerk wrote:There are few pictures of me, online, and I don't have a myspace page. Maybe some of the folks who HAVE seen me might oblige you with one.

Okay then. Here's a picture of our LoveSickJerk with our Unremarkable that I took at the Sasquatch Festival in 2004. Here's the same picture taken by Chelsea at the Sasquatch festival in 2006.

Hey! How come nobody told me that LoveSickJerk was Joseph! What the hell, dudez

icapants

Postby icapants » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:50 pm

Aww hell, I guess I'll do this too. I did my patented "taking a nap after work and therefore screwing up your sleep schedule completely" so I'm really, really awake.

Jessica is short for ica, which would make me a girl(pants). One week from today (which would be aug 27) I will be 24. I live out in beautiful Ballard, and (as you well know) work for a love-r-ly ticketing agency. (Brown Paper Tickets)

I spent a year of my life as a dj assistant at the world renowned KEXP, but getting one of those fancy day jobs killed my ability to show up from 10am - 2pm. I still volunteer for them occasionally, for events and pledge drives and what not.

and then there is my MySpace.....

(I'm not that interesting, really)

zornog

Postby zornog » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:33 am

chelsea wrote:okay i've already written too much, so i'll end it here with a link to me on myspace.

holy crap! I totally recognize you from the Weezer boards! I lurked, so you won't know me from there, but ... yeah!

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:41 pm

zornog wrote:
chelsea wrote:okay i've already written too much, so i'll end it here with a link to me on myspace.

holy crap! I totally recognize you from the Weezer boards! I lurked, so you won't know me from there, but ... yeah!

haha. i don't know if this is a good or a bad thing! i spent way too much time on those boards back in the day...

zornog

Postby zornog » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:20 pm

I used to peruse it, then it would piss me off and I'd not go to it for a while.

But yeah, I totally saw your picture on there years and years ago. haha, that's funny.

Return to “Cattywampus”