The no-wordplay-this-time Autumn Mix Swap

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

The no-wordplay-this-time Autumn Mix Swap

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:54 pm

Does it feel like half a year since the last mix swap? That's because it is. I felt I couldn't start a new swap until my own Spring mix cd reached my (very patient) swap partner. This has now happened, and in the process I apparently have made a three-year-old happy as well.
What more can you want from a mix swap? Well, good music, of course, that you might not have known otherwise.

I'm not wasting time trying to come up with a clever bit of wordplay for the Autumn swap, mainly because I couldn't think of any, but here goes: board swap.

For those who don't know the drill: this is about making a mix cd for someone, who will do the same for you. Clearly declare in this topic that you want to take part, and I will team everyone up around the 21st of September. Tentative deadline for completing the swap is 31 October, unless you agree otherwise with your swap partner.

And as usual: please take a moment to reflect if you have the time to actually make a mix cd when you put your name down - mix swap orphans break my heart.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:23 am

I'm down like a clown Charlie Brown.

bijou

Postby bijou » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:28 am

sounds like fun... any themes to be specifically addressed in this musical montage???

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:49 am

I will do this.

icapants

Postby icapants » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:50 am

Jesus christ, my last swap cd is sitting, packaged, on a table in my room. I'm an awful swapper.

That said, if anyone wants to take a chance on me again, I'm in.

(Sally, it's going in the mail ASAP. I swear to buddha I'm not usually this bad.)

Burning Bride #7

Postby Burning Bride #7 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:03 am

Yeah I feel like I just sent mine out. But I'll do it again, for sure.

sour29

Re: The no-wordplay-this-time Autumn Mix Swap

Postby sour29 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:04 am

Liesbeth wrote:I'm not wasting time trying to come up with a clever bit of wordplay for the Autumn swap
Whuat about the "Fall into Autumn" mix swap? Clever, no?

junker347

Postby junker347 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:10 am

when i pretend to FALL MIX SWAP!!
which is true. i love mix swaps... started one at my school called Mixism.
but i shall be traveling in foreign lands and thus will not participate in this one
happy mixing!

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:30 am

bijou wrote:sounds like fun... any themes to be specifically addressed in this musical montage???

themes are up to the individual mixer. Although it might be fun to pick an optional theme, for those who like a bit of a challenge. Perhaps, in line with the When I Pretend to Fall Mix Swap, the theme could be PRETEND. That's pretty broad, sophisticatedly vague and somewhat more original than the Geography theme I usually come up with.

So, was that a yes, Bijou?

And Sour?

junker347

Postby junker347 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:24 am

i would be down with a digital mix swap... you know, where you .zip everything up; songs (<80 min worth), tracklist, liner art (if you'd like), &c.

bijou

Postby bijou » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:27 am

si senora!!! thanks for a reason to get inventive with the cd collection... i posted pics of the only bumbershoot day i was able to attend... enjoy!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/bijoubaby/

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:53 am

Liesbeth wrote:And Sour?
I'm afraid the odds of me being able to put anything on a mix cd that everyone on this board doesn't already have are extremely slim to none.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:59 pm

i'll let y'all know if i get my burner fixed...

icapants

Postby icapants » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:47 pm

sour29 wrote:
Liesbeth wrote:And Sour?
I'm afraid the odds of me being able to put anything on a mix cd that everyone on this board doesn't already have are extremely slim to none.

Honestly, I have the same fear. Do it anyway. It's still nice.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:41 am

you'd be surprised at how close tastes can be, yet still really varied. Plus it's in the particular songs that you choose, and the compilation that it makes. I for one can be really surprised by a song when I hear it out of the context of the album I usually hear it on. And the other way round, some songs work for me on a mix cd, that I wouldn't care for much on their own, because they appear in the context of other songs which complement each other.

Long story, but basically I'm saying that it's fun.

icapants

Postby icapants » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:34 am

Liesbeth wrote:you'd be surprised at how close tastes can be, yet still really varied. Plus it's in the particular songs that you choose, and the compilation that it makes. I for one can be really surprised by a song when I hear it out of the context of the album I usually hear it on. And the other way round, some songs work for me on a mix cd, that I wouldn't care for much on their own, because they appear in the context of other songs which complement each other.

exactly!

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:03 am

icapants wrote:
Liesbeth wrote:you'd be surprised at...context of other songs which complement each other.

exactly!

I concur!

And I love the option theme of "Pretend"! Whomever gets my CD will have a most pretend-alicious mix!

philistien

Postby philistien » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:29 am

oo! oo! i'm in. last time i sent out my cd and everything and it had a pretty picture of spring blossoms. and themes are fun, although i have to warn that half my cd collection is in seattle and the other half with me in maine. so it might not be my best work.

A Mess

Postby A Mess » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:33 pm

sign me up!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:48 am

OK, I think I can do this!

EDIT: OK, but to digress from the theme, I'm going to stick to Can-Con that people may not otherwise get a chance to hear. So I'd prefer to do this with someone who has little or no knowledge about music north of the border/across the ocean. You're allowed to know Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene and Death From Above 1979, because I don't really like them anyhow, so they won't be on it.

PS. I've already started working on it.

PPS. There will be at least one Autumn-themed song on it!

[edit]
PPPS. I think I'm done. I'm SOOOOOOO ready for this.

Return to “Cattywampus”