The no-wordplay-this-time Autumn Mix Swap

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:33 am

I love these.

I actually got a great "fall" CD from someone a couple years ago. You can smell the woodsmoke and feel the bite of the evening wind.

Ends with one of my favorite songs -- "The Cold North Wind Doth Blow Again" by Maddy Prior and whatsished. (blanking! argh!).

I may cannibalize it.

For this.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:11 am

sour29 wrote:I'm going to stick to Can-Con that people may not otherwise get a chance to hear. So I'd prefer to do this with someone who has little or no knowledge about music north of the border/across the ocean.

Sour and I can't be swap partners this time then!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:33 am

Alas!

Although there's a lot of local Toronto bands on the mix that I'd bet you haven't heard of, I'm afraid at least half of it you'd be familiar with.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:36 pm

good lord, I'm not gonna swap with you if you are already done with it NOW. In fact, if there is an odd number, I think I will bail out, as much as I love it, I know I just won't get round to this before Christmas...

heather

Postby heather » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:43 pm

I want in!

Sally

Postby Sally » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:58 am

OK, I'll try this again!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:40 am

oh, Sally! My fellow Ontarian! Are you going to be at Lee's Palace on the 4th? Or even the 3rd?

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:01 am

sour29 wrote:Although there's a lot of local Toronto bands on the mix that I'd bet you haven't heard of, I'm afraid at least half of it you'd be familiar with.

If Mit City ain't on it, I don't want it! ;)

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:26 am

Whoa. I just googled these guys, and it's pretty awesome. I'd never heard of them, but now I'm going to have to try and catch them at Clinton's!

aj

hello.

Postby aj » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:32 pm

is there still time to add me?

:)

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:37 pm

sour29 wrote:Whoa. I just googled these guys, and it's pretty awesome. I'd never heard of them, but now I'm going to have to try and catch them at Clinton's!

They're a fantastic band, and the lead singer is really good, and has a solid stage presence. I think you'll really dig em.

They recently put a post up on their myspace asking for people who are in the TO area to let them know, and stop down to give them some time to record you for their next album, as some sort of choir section. I thought about doing it when I'm up there for The Decemberists and maybe ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead.

I caught them at the Mohawk Place, in Buffalo, of all places, opening for my friend's band Pollock CD release party.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:16 am

last call, two more days to put your name down.

just to get some things cleared up:
junker347, do I understand correctly that if it's not digital, you cannot do this due to travel?

and Chelsea, burner still down?

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:57 pm

Liesbeth wrote:
and Chelsea, burner still down?

yes, very sadly. anyone know what an unknown error number 4450 in itunes is all about?

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:34 am

It's time for the if-you-want-a-theme-you-could-use-PRETEND-(to)-Fall board swap, and the hat has produced the following swap teams:

No You Are - bijou
LoveSickJerk - heather
Burning Bride #7 - grant
sour29 - philistien
icapants - A Mess
Sally - aj

Please get in touch with your swap partner via pm to get your swap going. Tentative deadline: 11 November. Which is St. Martinsday, the same St. Martin who gave away half his gown to a poor beggar on the street - clearly you will all see the link to sharing music love. Right?

Happy swapping!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:49 pm

chelsea wrote:
Liesbeth wrote:and Chelsea, burner still down?

yes, very sadly. anyone know what an unknown error number 4450 in itunes is all about?

Might I suggest trying to burn a cd with a *real* cd burning program? Feurio, for example, is an unlimited shareware cd burner that has provided me with excellent results in the past. Nero, of course, is the favourite of many, but costs money. If you're on a Mac, I think it's TOAST that's most often used.

My policy on computer software is about the same as on electronic hardware -- get ten things that each do one thing well rather than get one thing that does ten things so-so. That's why you'll never see me rocking a TV/DVD/VCR combo.

edit: If it is an iTunes problem (which wouldn't shock me), I'll happily take on two partners.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:02 am

sour29 wrote:
chelsea wrote:
Liesbeth wrote:and Chelsea, burner still down?

Might I suggest trying to burn a cd with a *real* cd burning program? Feurio, for example, is an unlimited shareware cd burner that has provided me with excellent results in the past. Nero, of course, is the favourite of many, but costs money. If you're on a Mac, I think it's TOAST that's most often used.

My policy on computer software is about the same as on electronic hardware -- get ten things that each do one thing well rather than get one thing that does ten things so-so. That's why you'll never see me rocking a TV/DVD/VCR combo.

edit: If it is an iTunes problem (which wouldn't shock me), I'll happily take on two partners.

well yes, i think it is an itunes problem. i have the latest version and it's still doing it. i'm not using a mac, however. the nice thing about itunes is that you can just make your playlist and then hit burn. well, it's nice when it works. with these fancy other programs, how do you get your songs/playlist in there?

A Mess

Postby A Mess » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:45 pm

the same as that, i'd imagine. you find all the files, open them up in the program and order them. the only difference is that you can't (usually) play the tracks from the program directly.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:28 pm

I've never really had a problem, but I don't mind the extra step of throwing all the songs in one folder before I go to burn. From what little reading I did, it does look like an iTunes problem... so definately give'r a go. At the very, very, very least, try Windows Media Player. Although I can't imagine it's any better than iTunes.

Moni

Postby Moni » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:07 am

Liesbeth wrote:It's time for the if-you-want-a-theme-you-could-use-PRETEND-(to)-Fall board swap, and the hat has produced the following swap teams:

So, can Betty and I pretend to have a mix swap going?

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:56 am

seeing how you never finished your spring pretend mix swap, you're gonna have to give me some guarantees you won't bail out this time.

I had high hopes for your swap, you know. Japanese bubble gum pop vs the European classics.

Return to “Cattywampus”