Essays anyone?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

c-dog

Essays anyone?

Postby c-dog » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am

So I recently became a member of an Essay Club - we get together once a week and discuss an essay someone has selected. The coolest part of it is that it's held at the Kerouac House in Orlando - he actually lived here with his mom when he On The Road was published and he also wrote Dharma Bums at the house. But, I digress. My question is, does anyone out there have any essay suggestions for the club? The one we are reading this week is "Consider the Lobster" by David Foster Wallace.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:54 pm

Check out back issues of Granta for the one called "Confessions of an Ecstasy Eater" (or maybe "Confessions of a Middle-Aged Ecstasy Eater"). It's by this dude, a respectable member of whatever community, who gets his 20-something son to score MDMA for him. Because he likes it.

It seemed really interesting at the time, and probably remains so.

He was anonymous, but I think was outed in the press a month or so after the thing was published.

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:41 pm

Oh SNAP. I remember that one, Grant! I can see the cover in my head. I loved that essay.

c-dog

Postby c-dog » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:24 am

I'll look for that - just the type of thing I'm looking for. Last week we read an essay that was in the NY Times magazine about middle-aged hipsters.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:09 pm

My... my people. What will become of us?

the hutch

not big on essays, but

Postby the hutch » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:17 pm

If you're into James Joyce, there was a tasty essay in the American Scholar, summer of '04 by Sam Anderson called Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joyce.

btw, the lobster article is interesting. I'm not sure I would describe a lobster as "sentient", as in "I think, therefore I may be a lobster".

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:28 am

You have never crawled through their vast submarine capitals, or attempted to work their crustacean machines, or worshipped their savage, horn-shelled gods.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:29 am

You should totally do a web trawl for some H.L. Mencken, by the way. Man was brilliant.

c-dog

Postby c-dog » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:37 am

grant wrote:My... my people. What will become of us?

According to this article you wear $600 jeans and take your babies to bars - but for afternoon playdates - at which you may enjoy a beer while your babies enjoy....jukeboxes?

Return to “Cattywampus”