calling all nerds

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:54 am

LoveSickJerk wrote:Hey, so am I! But when equipped with my comic books, camera, and iPod, I can cast fourth-level spells.

That sounds very nerdy!

I never knew whether I am a nerd or a geek rather. By Grant's definition, I'm a geek, by New Girl's definition, I'm a nerd. I think I have some nerdy hobbies... but you might call them geeky, too, methinks.

And sometimes I wish I would've studied organic biology, geology or something similar..

annapt

Postby annapt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:51 am

Betty Felon wrote:Oh honey, you gotta stop worrying about such things. I think you'll find this is your new ehome now. You can fish for a discussion of pretty much anything and we'll bite (excepting the viewpoints of one or the other highly polarized american political parties-- which will be politely ignored.) We are all really nice nerds here.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm a little cautious with my science-talk, largely because at the liberal arts school I attend I often get a response of "EWWWW" when I try to talk about science. We have very good science departments but most people who come here to major in the humanities have come here to get away from science.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am

John wrote: I believe that information is intrinsically exciting

well, then. i suppose i'm a nerd as well. and when did ipods and cameras have anything to do with this??

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:59 am

Moni wrote:By Grant's definition, I'm a geek, by New Girl's definition, I'm a nerd.
By John's definition, I'm a geeky dork! :(

EDIT: oops. Confused the terms. Still not a nerd! WOOT!
Last edited by sour29 on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moni

Postby Moni » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:14 am

sour29 wrote:
Moni wrote:By Grant's definition, I'm a geek, by New Girl's definition, I'm a nerd.
By John's definition, I'm a geeky nerd! :(

By John's definition, I don't even exist (in nerd/geek world)!!
Last edited by Moni on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:19 am

annapt wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. I'm a little cautious with my science-talk, largely because at the liberal arts school I attend I often get a response of "EWWWW" when I try to talk about science. We have very good science departments but most people who come here to major in the humanities have come here to get away from science.

How silly. How can you study logic without the scientific method? I heart Descartes.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:32 am

chelsea wrote:when did ipods and cameras have anything to do with this??

As soon as you know you know more about shooting a roll of film than how to talk to a member of the opposite sex, or even what to do with your hands at a rock show.

c-dog

Postby c-dog » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:01 am

I'm a dork. I often spill things on myself, and I am inherently goofy - which I associate with dorkdom. Although I'd like to think of myself as a dork with a great sense of style to offset the fact that I often get red wine and/or coffee (I don't eat gravy) stains on my clothing.

annapt

Postby annapt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:25 am

Betty Felon wrote:
annapt wrote:

How silly. How can you study logic without the scientific method? I heart Descartes.

YES. thank you for giving me more ammunition in my battle to remind my schoolmates that liberal arts is short for liberal arts and sciences

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:16 pm

no offense, Moni, but in my book musicology is sort of the nerdier side of the music world. (By which I mean to say it goes completely over my head.)

aj

Postby aj » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:28 pm

since my significant other has taken to calling me either "spillary clinton" or "droolio iglesias", I guess that means I'm a dork.

but wouldn't that make him a dork to the power of ten? as punnery is dork of a much higher caliber.

annapt

Postby annapt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:33 pm

puns definitely up the nerdiness by an order of magnitude, at least.

especially if they're puns relating to one's subject of nerdiness - as in, for me, biology puns (today in cell biology class, referring to our lab regarding oskar mRNA in Drosophila oocytes: "we might win the Nobel Prize, or maybe even an Oskar!"

haha. not even my bionerd friends thought that one was any good.

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:22 pm

This thread reminds me why I <3 this board so much! Nothing like a good nerd/geek/dork debate (between a bunch of nerds, geeks and dorks, of course :)

Science puns have an appropriate time and place (although I'll readily admit that I'm guilty of spouting them randomly in the lab at work...typically at somewhat inoppertune moments [during meetings, etc]). (I can't say if the following apply to geeks and dorks, but I think they might)

*In the company of non-nerds, or nerds who have yet to accept their nerdiness (I'm looking at you Betty :), science puns are even less cool than normal.

*In the company of fellow nerds, science puns are slightly more acceptable but still not always appropriate (serious meetings with the boss are one of these moments, but at less serious meetings, the boss often finds the joke funnier than the coworkers). Some coworkers (usually the dorks) will never find puns or jokes of any kind humorous, so the hilarity of a given pun should never be judged by their reactions.

*Finally, in the company of drunken fellow nerds, science puns are often at their most hilarious. This can either be attributed to the interactions of good old ethanol with the pun-listener's humor system (a very scientific entity :) or due to a certain loosening of the pun-teller's sense of propriety and nerdiness. AKA a certain amount of EtOH always makes you funnier (I've done my fair share of testing this theory and so far it holds true). There's also the competing theory that activities involving EtOH (happy hour, lab parties, etc) also select for a specific cohort of nerds, that is, those who are capable of loosening up a bit (with or without the EtOH), and those who are uptight and dull are under-represented in the sample so results of humor-tests (such as puns) are biased towards being funny in this environment.

annapt

Postby annapt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:37 pm

the new girl wrote:*Finally, in the company of drunken fellow nerds, science puns are often at their most hilarious. This can either be attributed to the interactions of good old ethanol with the pun-listener's humor system (a very scientific entity :) or due to a certain loosening of the pun-teller's sense of propriety and nerdiness. AKA a certain amount of EtOH always makes you funnier (I've done my fair share of testing this theory and so far it holds true). There's also the competing theory that activities involving EtOH (happy hour, lab parties, etc) also select for a specific cohort of nerds, that is, those who are capable of loosening up a bit (with or without the EtOH), and those who are uptight and dull are under-represented in the sample so results of humor-tests (such as puns) are biased towards being funny in this environment.

funny, today I was just discussing with my bio professor how after you've been in biology for a certain period of time you start looking at everything as a controlled experiment. Her example was involved determining how much longer her milk would stay fresh if she turned her fridge a few degrees colder. yours is another good example of that behavior, and i enjoy it quite a lot!

galleta

Postby galleta » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:50 pm

i'm no nerd.

i'm euro.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:09 am

LoveSickJerk wrote:
chelsea wrote:when did ipods and cameras have anything to do with this??

As soon as you know you know more about shooting a roll of film than how to talk to a member of the opposite sex, or even what to do with your hands at a rock show.

i only know a little bit about the first thing. definitely not the last two.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:11 am

I shall not debate the loosening influence of the stuff, but EtOH? That's nerdis in extremo. But then again, the same could be argued for turning things into mock latin. And I'm not even sure it shouldn't be in extremis or in extrema. Grant might know.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:16 am

Galleta is baiting you guys. Ask her about her graduate thesis.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:35 am

I'm a "Bohemian Jock", which makes me more of a nerd,
because I'm outcast by both the Jocks, and the nerds....

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:28 pm

but at least you are embraced by the bohemians?

so, galleta, tell us about your thesis? I wasn't fooled by this euro stuff - european nerds disguise themselves by smoking gauloises and talking about literature and philosophy, but they're still nerds.

Return to “Cattywampus”