I'm a cross-posting whore...

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

the new girl

I'm a cross-posting whore...

Postby the new girl » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:26 pm

...however that doesn't make a very good halloween costume. I know some of y'all will see this twice, but I'm desperate and this board and the HD board have a very different crew on 'em. I posted this over there, but thought some input from the cool nerds, geeks and dorks over here might be just as useful (if not more--my parties so far include mostly medical students and nerdy science grad students...the right nerd-reference costume could be the hit of the party...but nothing too obscure...). Now, back to the original post:

So Halloween is fast approaching (the parties are only a week away...), and I'm at a complete loss for a costume. The rules are pretty simple:

*Not to go all NYT editorial on y'all, but I don't want variations on "sexy referree," "sexy vampire," "sexy serial killer," etc, etc. I have no problem with a sexy costume, but I don't want slutty. And the outfit's not really what makes it sexy anyway (that's all me ;)

*It must be something I can make. The idea of a prebought costume just doesn't sit well with me. And I like the occasional craft project. I can sew (but nothing too elaborate, it's all by hand), glue things together and have a wide array of home-repair/woodworking skills that could be put to good use (however drawing/painting anything elaborate is probably out of the question).

*I like something a little original or otherwise out of the ordinary. My first ever costume was "paper sac woman" (aka my parents cutting eye/mouth/arm holes in a big paper shopping bag and putting it over my head when I was 2). Last year I was Marge Simpson...not all that original, except the hair was all mine (all 2 vertical feet of it!). I chopped the hair off now, so I think Cousin Itt is out of the question this year...

I think that's it...suggestions?

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:30 pm

*sexy* Pluto. With a protest sign.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:41 pm

1. Given the ban on "slutty," I find the topic title kind of funny.

2. Another vote for Pluto. You could wear a Kuiper belt! And rumble with a friend dressed as Sedna!

Part of me really wants the costume to be a giant styrofoam ball, with a stiff wire sticking out of it holding up another styrofoam ball painted brown and labeled "Charon."

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:23 am

You should go as the hatch from LOST.

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:36 am

grant wrote:2. Another vote for Pluto. You could wear a Kuiper belt! And rumble with a friend dressed as Sedna!

Make that three votes. Keep it sexy with fishnets peeking daintly out of the southern hemisphere. Yowza!

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:54 am

if you really don't like to go as Pluto (how could you not, though?), you could consider Beaker from the Muppet Show. Or Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, if you don't like fluffy red hair (again, how could you not, though?).

By the way, TLW have never played a show on Halloween yet. Until this year, when they will be playing in Hamburg. I'm thinking a hamburger theme might be nice. For the audience, or perhaps the band itself.

bijou

Postby bijou » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:14 pm

someone will just have to show up as popeye's buddy character wimpy...
i'll gladly pay you next tuesday, for a hamburger today...
(;-D)

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:32 pm

You could have fun giving Pluto an identity crisis.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:04 pm

Pluto with a pink slip- I like it!

Last year's last minute (literally) costume was a T shirt with black and red paint splashed on it, then folded in half (so it would be symmetrical). When party goers asked "And what are you?", of course I said "what do you think I am?" and gave them free psychoanalysis.

That's all I've got. I may have to steal the Pluto idea for this year...

dianna

Postby dianna » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:31 pm

I know a guy who went a few years ago as a rubik's cube. And another guy who went as an iPod. You can make both using just cardboard boxes and paint. And some tape, I imagine.

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:56 pm

I like the Pluto idea, but I'm not sure my friends were outraged enough at its' demotion to truly get it...

...HOWEVER; the Beeker idea is truly, truly GENIUS!!!. I have many a labcoat at work so that's easy, I think I can get my hair sprayed orange enough and with enough gel/wax/hairspray it should stand up straight...this might work.

Keep 'em coming though, it'll be a couple days before I have time for any serious costuming so I'll keep the options open...

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:51 pm

Stingray!

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:46 pm

do remember that the only thing Beaker (beeker?) says is mi-mi-mi-mi

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:04 am

*How about a hurricane? I'm thinking suspended spiral of wire that makes a cone when you raise your arms. like a cross between a mummy and an upsidedown hoopskirt.

or the guy Cheney shot in the face. excuse to use fake blood.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:54 am

Betty Felon wrote:Stingray!

Yes! Yes!!

bijou

Postby bijou » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:32 am

cheney as the tin woodsman in the wizard of oz
if i only had a heart...

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:37 pm

didn't beeker sound more like "meep meep"? I can't remember.

how many guys will be out there with bad aussie accents and stingrays stuck to their bloody chests?

i started my daughter's costume last night, and didn't realize until this am that i had sewn a sleeve on inside out. and she noticed, darnit.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:40 pm

*You could go as something the total opposite of something you would ever be. How fun would it be to be a fashionista (Donnatella versace, Anna Wintour, etc.) or a basketball/football/baseball player? Or a politician with the teased out lady-politician hair helmut?

*A friend of mine once went to an 80s party as Sally Ride, with NASA flight suits aren't so hard to make. You do need that NASA patch though. It was a pretty good costume; you don't see too many astronauts these days.

*You could be a Japanese businessman. All you need is a combover and a tie tied around your head. And you have to get wasted and hug people and sing karaoke.

*I always thought Sultan was a great costume. Especially if your costume is entirely gold lame, and also if you have a pet monkey on a leash. Does your lab have monkeys?

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:11 am

Betty Felon wrote:Stingray!

Please forgive me for being insensitive for a second:

bijou

Postby bijou » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:36 am

no satan, i'm REALLY the crocodile hunter...

lol!!!

Return to “Cattywampus”