What are you listening to/What should I be listening to?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

icapants

What are you listening to/What should I be listening to?

Postby icapants » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:01 pm

I have recently been going through a very strange phase lately, called "I don't really like music so I'll just listen to the same four Spoon songs over and over again."

This phase is bullshit. I'm done. I'm looking for new stuff to listen to/download/buy. I joined up with eMusic today, I have itunes, etc.

Please be with the suggestions now?

If need be, you may consult my last.fm profile for advice or to keep from duplicates.

*edited because the board doesn't like regular person HTML, and I forget that.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:13 pm

I have been really digging the Silversun Pickups lately - they seem like they may match your tastes. I have also liked Lily Allen and the new Beck.

If you are looking for something a little more out there... check out Jonathan Coulton at jonathancoulton.com. You can stream all his stuff from the webpage, or get it all by subscribing to the podcast.

It's mostly smart, funny stuff that the peeps (yes, I just used the word peeps) on this board would probably find amusing.... good songs about DNA, James Bond Villan love songs and Code Monkeys.

OR, since the elections are coming up, you can follow me into a millitant phase by pumping up the Public Enemy.

FIGHT THE POWER!!!

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:49 pm

my dear ica,

have you given andrew bird a try? what about slender means? duper sessions by sondre lerche and the faces down quartet?

oh, and i know you're skeptical of tarkio, but please, please give a few more songs a listen. especially "if i had more time." it brought tears to my eyes.

xo,
=chelsea=

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:12 pm

I have been listening to the new(ish) Jon Auer cd (Songs from the year of our demise) absolutely, completely non-stop for the past week or so (and for much of the past month). I'm not much for long, descriptive album reviews, but his voice, combined with great (often kinda sad) lyrics and a pretty diverse collection of pop tunes makes for something I don't think I'll get sick of soon...

On a rather related note, I was going through my old cd's a while back and came across an old favorite, the Posies' Dear 23. I'd forgotten (or never completely realized) how amazing that cd is as well, so it's been in the regular rotation.

I've been listening to a bunch of Racetrack as well lately...I'm kinda in mourning, I guess...

That's it that's interesting. At least that's all I can think of after 16 hours at work...zzz...

heather

Postby heather » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:25 am

Damien Jurado - And Now That I'm In Your Shadow

rinse. repeat.

icapants

Postby icapants » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:30 am

heather wrote:Damien Jurado - And Now That I'm In Your Shadow

rinse. repeat.

In the strange of the strangeness, that is currently sitting on compy waiting for my ears to enjoy it.

A Mess

Postby A Mess » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:17 pm

I sent you 23 or so suggestions in the mail!

icapants

Postby icapants » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:38 pm

A Mess wrote:I sent you 23 or so suggestions in the mail!

This is true! Also, I am working on yours currently. It has been hard, since I will only listen to four spoon songs.
Therefore, I hope you like spoon.

Burning Bride #7
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Burning Bride #7 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:19 pm

I just got Some By Sea's cd Get Off The Ground If You're Scared a few days ago, and have really been enjoying it. Their myspace has a track from it, "The Winter Rush."

icapants

Postby icapants » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:22 pm

Burning Bride #7 wrote:I just got Some By Sea's cd Get Off The Ground If You're Scared a few days ago, and have really been enjoying it. Their myspace has a track from it, "The Winter Rush."

Aww. You know, I'm already a SBS fan and am sooo sad that they broke up. They are great kids, and Chris started a new band called Ghosts and Liars. Their first show is going to be at CMJ. How exciting for him, right?

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:27 am

Try:
Sons & Daughters- The Repulsion Box; they toured with The Decemberists last year and also rock

Murder By Death- In Bocca al Lupo; constantly compared to The Decemberists, for reasons that can only be explained by the use of a cello.

The Other Recommendations:
Great Lake Swimmers-Bodies & Minds
Q And Not U-Power
Langhorne Slim-When The Sun's Gone Down
Ambulance Ltd.-Ambulance Ltd.
The Tragically Hip-Live Between Us (It is like a greatest hits album, you know how those live discs are)

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:58 am

i second the murder by death recommendation. also, have you heard any DeVotchKa? they have some similarities to the decemberists and murder by death.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Re: What are you listening to/What should I be listening to?

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:51 am

icapants wrote:I have recently been going through a very strange phase lately, called "I don't really like music so I'll just listen to the same four Spoon songs over and over again."

they have that many brilliant albums, there's room for expansion within the Spoon frame.
so, out of curiosity, which four Spoon songs?

emusic has a great soul section. Go sixties southern soul, that'll cheer you up. Best way is just to use the preview section, and if you like download one or two songs and if you like still, you can always come back for more. Homemade emusic soul comps never fail in my book.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:49 pm

Song of mine in a project that made it onto BoingBoing:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/10/25/sp ... n_mix.html

Spooky! Seasonal!

Not for killing. But for MATING.

I'm #28, but #23's the one to really listen to. And, well, "Humanoids from the Deep."

Not for killing, you understand.

icapants

Postby icapants » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Liesbeth wrote:
icapants wrote:I have recently been going through a very strange phase lately, called "I don't really like music so I'll just listen to the same four Spoon songs over and over again."

they have that many brilliant albums, there's room for expansion within the Spoon frame.
so, out of curiosity, which four Spoon songs?

emusic has a great soul section. Go sixties southern soul, that'll cheer you up. Best way is just to use the preview section, and if you like download one or two songs and if you like still, you can always come back for more. Homemade emusic soul comps never fail in my book.

I know Spoon is super good, I've just been in a weird obsessive place, I guess. The songs are :
I Turn My Camera On
The Way We Get By
Jonathon Fisk
Small Stakes

I was lying a bit when I said only four Spoon songs. I guess I said it for effect. I've been listening to Okkervil River too.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:46 am

icapants wrote:I was lying a bit when I said only four Spoon songs. I guess I said it for effect. I've been listening to Okkervil River too.

I saw Okkervil River on the 12th as the ridiculous snow storm landed and started kicking down our trees and snapping powerlines (I was outside St. Joseph's church in Downtown Buffalo after the show, listening to tree limbs snap in 6" of snow, as I brushed my car off). They were so fantastic live! The performance made me like them even more than I already do (my friends are tired of hearing me listen and talk about them). Have you had a chance to check them out live? Which album have you been listening to?

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:41 am

I saw them in the spring of 05 when they were opening for the Decemberists... great show. I had never heard of Okkervil River before, and came away really impressed.

icapants

Postby icapants » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:11 am

LoveSickJerk wrote:
icapants wrote:I was lying a bit when I said only four Spoon songs. I guess I said it for effect. I've been listening to Okkervil River too.

. Have you had a chance to check them out live? Which album have you been listening to?

I haven't had a chance to see them live yet. The last time they came through town I had heard Black Sheep Boy but wasn't really that impressed by it at the time. I recently picked up Down the River of Golden Dreams and Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:20 am

icapants wrote:I recently picked up Down the River of Golden Dreams and Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See

I have been itching to get into the earlier catalog, but have not been able to find any copies locally, so I'll have to order online (probably waiting for the new ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead album in November to do so), so I got the Black Sheep Boy Appendix, and enjoyed the hell out of it. I've got a couple tracks from "Down The River..." which are great (and they played!!). I highly suggest seeing them live!

zach

Postby zach » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:04 pm

Oh geez. Now my other favorite current band has been mentioned (Okkervil River and the LDubs, of course.) In fact, I admit I was very confused for more than a moment about what board I was on because I frequent both this one and the OR one. DEFINITELY check out their earlier stuff. I absolutely LOVE "Don't Fall In Love..." Incredible.

Sorry. I'm done... for now.

Return to “Cattywampus”