SNOW!!!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:49 am

The gf and I flew in to Seatac on Monday night and luckily it just started snowing as we got to Tacoma during the drive down to Olympia. It was pretty surreal for it to be snowy and icy the whole time we were home though as most years it doesn't snow at all. It was fun but a kind of a pain in the ass as it kept us from doing everything we wanted to while we were there. I'm glad it benefited someone though.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:40 pm

Pffft, you Seattlites called that snow? And cold? We got 15 inches of snow last sunday, and on tuesday morning weather.com said it was 9 degrees F, but "feels like" -10. That's fucking cold. I missed 2 days of school, but had to work overtime because I work at a place that sells tires. It warmed up yesterday, and it's mostly melted now though.

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Harvey Winters » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:43 am

Downstate NY hasn't gotten anything, yet... :(
Buffalo got hammered last month...

Anybody up there build a "Sno-kyo, and destroy it, G-Zilla style???

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:29 am

hope you made a nice bit of commission out of the white stuff, Un'

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:11 pm

Unremarkable wrote:...on tuesday morning weather.com said it was 9 degrees F, but "feels like" -10. That's fucking cold....

Buddy, you want to talk cold? Ottawa would sometimes "feel like" -45 degrees C (which is -49 degrees F), and would regularly feel like -35C (-31F).

But for the past couple of weeks, Toronto has been having some unseasonably warm weather -- as high as +16.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:36 am

sour29 wrote:
Unremarkable wrote:...on tuesday morning weather.com said it was 9 degrees F, but "feels like" -10. That's fucking cold....

Buddy, you want to talk cold? Ottawa would sometimes "feel like" -45 degrees C (which is -49 degrees F), and would regularly feel like -35C (-31F).

But for the past couple of weeks, Toronto has been having some unseasonably warm weather -- as high as +16.

how does one remain fashionable in such weather?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:47 am

Toques and balaclavas and two or three shirts underneath really warm jackets, and (if you're one of the people who can get comfortable with it) long underwear, and scarves, and warm gloves, and thick boots are Canada's fashion.

Burning Bride #7

Postby Burning Bride #7 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:21 pm

We got 11 inches here in Wisconsin the other day. I had to spend 2 hours shoveling it because the plow doesn't do our road (we live right on a dead end). But it looks beautiful out now...and the roads are decent.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:58 pm

Burning Bride #7 wrote:We got 11 inches here in Wisconsin the other day. I had to spend 2 hours shoveling it because the plow doesn't do our road (we live right on a dead end). But it looks beautiful out now...and the roads are decent.

Where in Wisconsin are you from?

Most of my family is from there. Sobieski, just north of Green Bay.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:59 am

Can't you see? Fuck The Packers, WI.

Burning Bride #7

Postby Burning Bride #7 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:14 am

I live in East Troy...about 45 minutes from Milwaukee.

dianna

Postby dianna » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:01 pm

I'm pretty jealous. I'm from North Carolina, where we cancel school when it snows an inch and a half and melts later the same day.

Burning Bride #7

Postby Burning Bride #7 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:02 pm

School was canceled the day it snowed 11" here. Alas, during my four years of high school I had a total of one snow day; granted, there were a couple of two-hour delays, but still...our school system was/is incredibly stingy about canceling school.

bijou

Postby bijou » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:16 am

sigh, the sun came out and took practically all the snowy fun from my part of the neighborhood, the streets and most of my yard has melted, frosty's just another puddle in the grass... (;-D) but frosty lives on in another yard, a location that clearly makes the sun work a little harder than it wants to.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:15 pm

Burning Bride #7 wrote:School was canceled the day it snowed 11" here. Alas, during my four years of high school I had a total of one snow day; granted, there were a couple of two-hour delays, but still...our school system was/is incredibly stingy about canceling school.

I hear you on that. In chi there would be three feet of snow and theyd have it perfectly cleared by morning. The plows would make giant piles just begging to become igloos, and youd have to go to school. :(

The only time school was cancelled was when there was an inch think coating of ice around the tree branches, snapping power lines, and making the air so dry it hurt to breath. boooooo!

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:08 am

I would love to have some snow. I really miss it, But right now it looks like we won't get any snow before the new year, at least not in the lower areas.
People depending on winter tourism are already hyperventilating. If these weather conditions continue for a couple of years, the skiing industry in Austria will be screwed.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:29 am

No snow here yet either. Seriously, I'm not happy.

I did however put up Christmas lights on the house this weekend. You know that feeling when you are trying to put a string of lights all up the top edge of your garage, but your ladder isn't tall enough, so you take your ladder through your house, on to your balcony, then climb up onto the roof, walk up the slope and out over the garage, then lay flay on your belly with your head and arms dangling off the top point so you can string that last part up at the very top?

Awesome.

Nothing better than the feeling of "I didn't die and now there is lights on my house".

bijou

Postby bijou » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:39 am

NYA that was just too funny... and true.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:23 pm

Waaaaaah. I'm staying in Japan this year. Christmas is like New Years...a romantic couple date night....and New Years is family time. I dont even have a christmas tree. Only one house out of 100 has lights. Definately no snow.

Oh well, my parents are apparently trying to make up for all of Japan, I've just heard you can see thier house from space.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:54 am

We've never been big on lights. The town across the street from us (we live on the town line) has an annual house decoration contest, where there is a modest cash prize for the best decorated house, so we just (sometimes literally) bask in the glow of their neighborhood lit up. There is this one house that hurts to look at it for long because the trees and the house lights blink at different, almost random intervals. It really has gotten out of control.

As for snow, we've got nothing. As my mother already complained to me "they're saying there might not be snow for christmas!" It has been raining, though.

Return to “Cattywampus”