Top 10 Albums of 2006

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

User avatar
zach
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:33 pm
Location: Green Lake, Seattle, WA, US of A
Contact:

Top 10 Albums of 2006

Postby zach » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm a little surprised people haven't done any posting of their personal Top 10 albums of 2006. Maybe because it's hard to be the first? But I will do it! Here are mine:

ZACH’S TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2006!

01. The Decemberists – The Crane Wife (Capitol)
02. The Long Winters – Putting The Days To Bed (Barsuk)
03. Regina Spektor – Begin to Hope (Sire)
04. Beirut - Gulag Orkestar (Ba Da Bing)
05. Okkervil River – Overboard and Down (Inertia)
06. Bob Dylan – Modern Times (Sony)
07. Matisyahu – YOUTH (JDub)
08. The Hold Steady – Boys and Girls in America (Vagrant)
09. Rocky Votolato – Makers (Barsuk)
10. Band of Horses – Everything All The Time (Sub Pop)

NEAR MISSES (alphabetical):
Damien Jurado – And Now That I’m In Your Shadow (Secretly Canadian)
Jenny Lewis – Rabbit Fur Coat (Team Love / Rough Trade)
Rhett Miller – The Believer (Verve Forecast)
Joanna Newsom – Ys (Drag City)
M. Ward – Post-War (Merge)


PLEASE add yours. I'm curious. I was close to putting The Long Winters at number one, but that Decemberists record is too fresh in my mind.

User avatar
chelsea
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:53 pm
Location: Queen Anne Hill
Contact:

Postby chelsea » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:58 pm

i spent a lot of time listening to older music this past year (johnny cash, the andrews sisters, frank sinatra, etc.) as well as recent music, but not stuff from 2006. however, here are 8 LPs and EPs from this year that i did greatly enjoy and spend a lot of time listening to:


8. racetrack - "go ahead and say it" (EP)
7. andrew bird - "fingerlings 3" (EP)
6. rainer maria - "catastrophe keeps us together"
5. jenny lewis and the watson twins - "rabbit fur coat"
4. the thermals - "the body, the blood, the machine"
3. the long winters - "putting the days to bed"
2. tarkio - "omnibus"
1. sondre lerche and the faces down quartet - "duper sessions"

A Mess
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:29 am
Location: Wake Forest, NC

Postby A Mess » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:08 pm

1. Casey Dienel "Wind-up Canary"
2. Figurines "Skeleton"
3. The Long Winters - "Putting the Days to Bed"
4. The Album Leaf "Into the Blue Again"
5. Six Organs of Admittance "The Sun Awakens"
6. Peter & the Wolf "Lightness"
7. The Evens "Get Evens"
8. The Gothic Archies "Tragic Treasury"
9. Sean Lennon "Friendly Fire"
10. Regina Spektor "Begin to Hope"

This is hard, mostly because I can never which records came out when.

User avatar
No You Are
Posts: 619
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:53 pm
Current Heading: North
Location: Rochester, MinneSOta
Contact:

Postby No You Are » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:13 am

1. The Long Winters - Putting the Days to Bed
2. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That is What I'm Not
3. The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
4. The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
5. Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
6. The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
7. Gnarles Barkley - St. Elseware
8. Lily Allen - Alright, Still
9. Wolfmother- Wolfmother
10. Band of Horses - Everything All the Time

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:40 pm

I didn't because I only could compile a Top 1, a tie between The Long Winters and Centro-matic's Fort Recovery. Bought very few new records (or old ones for that matter) and even fewer really made my heart melt.

But I totally forgot to compile my annual concert list, and that one was once again completely amazing. So here's my live top 10. The order of the top 5 could be different tomorrow, but yes, I think Spoon deserves that top spot, even if I saw TLW 7 times:

1. Spoon; 17-5-06; Paradiso, Amsterdam
2. The Long Winters (solo); 21-5-06; Tivoli de Helling, Utrecht
3. Nada Surf; 29-3-06; Tivoli, Utrecht
4. Jon Auer; 15-11-06; Ekko, Utrecht
5. Centro-matic; 20-5-06; Tom Tom, Heythuysen
6. The Long Winters; 3-11-06; Paradiso upstairs, Amsterdam
7. pEp; 13-10-06; Café de Stad, Utrecht
8. Big Star; 21-2-06; Tivoli, Utrecht
9. John Vanderslice; 21-10-06; Ekko, Utrecht
10. Caesar; 4-2-06; Ekko, Utrecht

User avatar
icapants
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Postby icapants » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:58 am

chelsea wrote:i spent a lot of time listening to older music this past year (johnny cash, the andrews sisters, frank sinatra, etc.) as well as recent music, but not stuff from 2006. however, here are 8 LPs and EPs from this year that i did greatly enjoy and spend a lot of time listening to:


8. racetrack - "go ahead and say it" (EP)
7. andrew bird - "fingerlings 3" (EP)
6. rainer maria - "catastrophe keeps us together"
5. jenny lewis and the watson twins - "rabbit fur coat"
4. the thermals - "the body, the blood, the machine"
3. the long winters - "putting the days to bed"
2. tarkio - "omnibus"
1. sondre lerche and the faces down quartet - "duper sessions"


Chelsea, no decemberists? I'm sort of shocked!

I couldn't manage to come up with a top anything of anything, so I just put up a list of 10 anythings I cared about... I guess I'll share it with you too..




Metric- Patriarch on a Vespa (song)
Little Miss Sunshine (movie)
The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine (album)
The Elected - Sun, Sun, Sun (album)
Heroes(Television)
The Blow - Parentheses (song)
Band of Horses - Everything All The Time (album)
So Many Dynamos - Flashlights (album)
Flickr (internets)
The West Wing (Television)

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:53 pm

thanks to numerous film yearlists, we went to see Little Miss Sunshine last Friday, and it's my Top 1 of films for 2006!

User avatar
Squid
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:52 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Postby Squid » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:50 pm

My top 10 restaurant dishes of 2006:

1) the filet mignon @ alfred's
2) the side of brisket @ t-rex
3) the huevos rancheros @ slow club
4) burger royale w/blue cheese at chow
5) that goddamn almond tart with rasberry jam layer from delia's in the mission that i couldn't stop inhaling over xmas
6) the hamburger scramble @ roccos
7) the deep dish pepperoni pizza @ little star
8) the famous cream cakes of slovenia
9) the mac'n'cheese @ blue plate
10) the sloppy joe dip @ home

User avatar
chelsea
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:53 pm
Location: Queen Anne Hill
Contact:

Postby chelsea » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:20 pm

icapants wrote:
chelsea wrote:i spent a lot of time listening to older music this past year (johnny cash, the andrews sisters, frank sinatra, etc.) as well as recent music, but not stuff from 2006. however, here are 8 LPs and EPs from this year that i did greatly enjoy and spend a lot of time listening to:


8. racetrack - "go ahead and say it" (EP)
7. andrew bird - "fingerlings 3" (EP)
6. rainer maria - "catastrophe keeps us together"
5. jenny lewis and the watson twins - "rabbit fur coat"
4. the thermals - "the body, the blood, the machine"
3. the long winters - "putting the days to bed"
2. tarkio - "omnibus"
1. sondre lerche and the faces down quartet - "duper sessions"


Chelsea, no decemberists? I'm sort of shocked!


albums from 2006 that i thought i'd like a whole lot more than i did:

1. belle & sebastian - "the life pursuit"
2. the mountain goats - "get lonely"
2. the decemberists - "the crane wife"

perhaps i just need some more time with the crane wife, but it hasn't come close to hitting me in the way their other albums did/have.

User avatar
Flyn
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Ballard
Contact:

Postby Flyn » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:26 am

chelsea wrote:perhaps i just need some more time with the crane wife, but it hasn't come close to hitting me in the way their other albums did/have.


The Crane Wife must be listened to at least five times, straight through, with no skipping. You really have to give it time for the hypno-beams to permeate fully. I have 2 friends who have had exactly this turnabout, after the same initial feelings as you; one of them now feels that it is by far their best album. Results may vary.

User avatar
LoveSickJerk
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:02 pm
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Buffalo, NY et al.
Contact:

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:45 am

As Ica goes, so shall I...

The Decemberists-The Crane Wife
The Colbert Report
Eliot Spitzer
Sondre Lerche & The Faces Down Quartet-The Duper Sessions
Ice Cream Social-The Kitten And The Butterfly
Lillydale
Inclement Weather
The Kinks-Lola versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One
TV On The Radio-Return To Cookie Mountain
Okkervil River (in general)

EDIT: I totally forgot about The Fountain. That made my 2006 film watching experience worth it.
Last edited by LoveSickJerk on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
icapants
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Postby icapants » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:10 am

LoveSickJerk wrote:As Ica goes, so shall I...

The Decemberists-The Crane Wife
The Colbert Report
Eliot Spitzer
Sondre Lerche & The Faces Down Quartet-The Duper Sessions
Ice Cream Social-The Kitten And The Butterfly
Lillydale
Inclement Weather
The Kinks-Lola versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One
TV On The Radio-Return To Cookie Mountain
Okkervil River (in general)



I can definitely agree with that 'Okkervil River (in general)' choice. :)

User avatar
LoveSickJerk
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:02 pm
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Buffalo, NY et al.
Contact:

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:08 am

icapants wrote:I can definitely agree with that 'Okkervil River (in general)' choice. :)


I hope to see them live again soon, and not in a dreadful snowstorm! Although, that was the shining moment of 2006 for me (Sasquatch didn't make me lose electricity).

User avatar
kaiden
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:30 am
Location: Olympia
Contact:

Postby kaiden » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am

chelsea wrote:albums from 2006 that i thought i'd like a whole lot more than i did:

1. belle & sebastian - "the life pursuit"
2. the mountain goats - "get lonely"
2. the decemberists - "the crane wife"

perhaps i just need some more time with the crane wife, but it hasn't come close to hitting me in the way their other albums did/have.


I am in the same boat on both albums you put at number two. "Get Lonely" was really slow and felt a bit repetitive; the songs by themselves are actually pretty good, but I can't listen to the album all the way through. "If You See Light" is one of my favorite Mountain Goats songs now.

"The Crane Wife" is mostly devoid of the types of songs that made me fall in love with the Decemberists. I love their songs that aren't fully historical short stories about chimney sweeps, civil war soldiers or mariners. I miss songs like "July, July!", "Grace Cathedral Hill", "Song for Myla Goldberg" and "I Was Meant For the Stage." "Summersong" is probably the closest thing on it.

But I digress. My list of top albums is really short. I found myself listening to a lot of older stuff this year.

1. The Long Winters "Putting the Days to Bed"
2. Neko Case "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood"
3. The Thermals "The Body, the Blood, the Machine"
4. Islands "Return to the Sea"
5. Cat Power "The Greatest"

ImLost@Sea
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:57 pm
Location: Warm glow of the screen.

Postby ImLost@Sea » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:49 am

My top 10 albums of 2006, in no particular order:

Decemberists - The Crane Wife
Long Winters - Putting the Days to Bed
Tokyo Police Club - A Lesson In Crime
Wolfmother - Wolfmother
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Tool - 10,000 Days
Squarepusher - Hello Everything
Strokes - First Impressions of Earth
Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
The Whitest Boy Alive - Dreams

kyle_s9
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:07 am

Postby kyle_s9 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:35 pm

i can't pick an order, accept for 1

1. The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country
Mates Of State - Bring It Back
The Dears - Gang Of Losers
k-os - Atlantis
The Long Blondes - Someone To Drive You Home
Cat Power - The Greatest
Tokyo Police Club - A Lesson In Crime
Born Ruffians
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

User avatar
chelsea
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:53 pm
Location: Queen Anne Hill
Contact:

Postby chelsea » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:16 pm

kyle_s9 wrote:i can't pick an order, accept for 1

1. The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country
Mates Of State - Bring It Back
The Dears - Gang Of Losers
k-os - Atlantis
The Long Blondes - Someone To Drive You Home
Cat Power - The Greatest
Tokyo Police Club - A Lesson In Crime
Born Ruffians
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit


no PTDTB?? really?

User avatar
sour29
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:53 am
Current Heading: Ascending
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Postby sour29 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:49 am

kyle_s9 wrote:The Dears - Gang Of Losers
As much as I love No Cities Left, I could not stand this album.

dianna
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Postby dianna » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:31 am

In alphabetical order because I can't pick an order. I change my mind about these a lot.

Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of this Country
CSS - Cansei de Ser Sexy
Joanna Newsom - Ys
The Long Winters - Putting the Days to Bed
The Mountain Goats - Get Lonely
Peter Bjorn and John - Writer's Block
Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche
Whitest Boy Alive - Dreams

kyle_s9
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:07 am

Postby kyle_s9 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:56 am

long winters PTDTB i find may be better than some albums on my list, musically, but there's some... i dunno, emotional connetions, to other albums. Like i think it's deffinatly better than Born Ruffians EP, but there's something i love about that EP, that really inspires, and connects with me.

and i love the dears new sound. i think the album really has that side A and B sound to it. There's a few songs on the first half of the album i'm not too crazy about, but once the album hits "you and i are gang of losers", i just absolutly love it.


Return to “Cattywampus”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests