How about "No Winter"???

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

How about "No Winter"???

Postby Harvey Winters » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:51 pm

72 degrees in Central Park today!!!

Global warming is scaring the crap out of me right now...

zach

Postby zach » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:42 am

Yeah. Seriously. This is ridiculous.

It's JANUARY for crying out loud.

I got a high of 70 in northern Manhattan.

(And here I thought I'd finally get a long winter, after moving from Seattle to NYC... hmmm...)

icapants

Postby icapants » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:07 am

Seattle has just been hit by storm after storm after storm for the last 19YEARS. Seriously, I know there's the whole myth about Seattle being rainy all the time but god, make it stop PLEASE. Rain or wind are okay on their own, but when you put them together... I've gone through like 9 umbrellas since November.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:34 am

The last time NYC went this long without a snowfall???

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:57 am

I'm afraid we're making up for your lack of winter here in New Mexico...Albuquerque had 12" of snow last Friday (most ever in one day) with a total of 15" from that storm, an additional 3" yesterday morning and still around 5-6" on the ground...this in a city that gets maybe 10" a year (and significantly less that that in the past 20 years of drought).

But it's supposed to be 50 on Tuesday, so we'll get some nice urban flooding/mud then...

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:09 pm

oh Ica, umbrellas? Seriously, umbrellas are useless, they cannot withstand wind, you'll poke someone's eye out if you're not careful, and you'll forget to take them with you if it's dry out when you leave. Pointless apparatus!
Get a waterproof coat and a hat (but make it one that fits, so it won't blow of your head like my baseball cap does).

icapants

Postby icapants » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:13 pm

I have a very large head and cannot wear hats. It makes me pretty sad. Also, I should have some sort of waterproof coat, but I've never really needed one before this winter! I always drove, so I didn't have an umbrella either. But now I'm all "miss takes the bus everywhere" and oh, I was soaked coming into work this morning.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:05 am

Iowa City has had no snow yet. Not a flake. Not sure the real numbers, but nobody remembers going this long without snow.

Christmas with no snow aint Christmas.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:14 am

We haven't had much of any snow, besides that freak October Storm crap. Even today, icy slush crap. How the hell am I supposed to playfully throw snowballs at girls I like if is no snow? It is January. WTF El Nino?

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Not quite AlbaQ level, but Japan got a pretty rare snowfall this weekend too.

But umbrellas! I absolutely love umbrellas! It rains pretty much all year round here, and umbrellas are a fashion statement. No ugly collapsable moldy black or forest green...everyone uses that elegant parasol type, with gorgeous colors, fabrics and designs. And every store has plastic disposable umbrella bags as you go in (occasionally referred to by the gaijin as 'umbrella condoms').

And when it's not raining women use sun umbrellas to keep off the sun (because being tan is the worst thing in the world.)

Every Japanese I know owns like 20 or more umbrellas.

dianna

Postby dianna » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:13 pm

A friend in Okinawa says that there the standard color of parasols to block the summer sun is black, and that other colors attract stares.

Burning Bride #7

Postby Burning Bride #7 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:38 pm

There is finally some talk of snow for later in the week here in WI. But, yeah, yesterday I was walking around in jeans and a t-shirt outside and felt fine. I remember being eight, nine, ten years old and ice skating on our lake throughout the winter. But these past five years or so, the ice hasn't even gotten thick enough to walk on.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:59 pm

dianna wrote:A friend in Okinawa says that there the standard color of parasols to block the summer sun is black, and that other colors attract stares.

hmmmm.....totally not true in Osaka. But Okinawa is almost its own country-- the culture, the food, the music, the traditional dress...its all completely different than the rest of Japan.

BTW-- Okinawan music completely kicks ass.

bijou

Postby bijou » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:28 pm

driving home from life drawing class in everett... it's a blizzard out there... monroe saw the snow coming down fast... 20 mins later in sultan, hwy 2 badly needed a plow... any bets on another snow day tomorrow??? the powder is steep and deep if you can get up the hill...

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:52 am

good, I was getting a little bit worried for the snowplower salesmen who are not doing their usual trade this year - or so I gathered from my feedreader, which when searching for Long Winters mostly feeds me items about winter, and this year the lack thereof has been evident.

our newspaper had a picture of someone mowing their lawn on the frontpage. In January! However, the temperatures may be high (14 Celsius yesterday) but the usual January storms are still fierce.

bijou

Postby bijou » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:07 am

sniff no snowday today...
but there's 4" of neighborhood fluffy powder (the kind that clings to empty branches, and dresses the winter trees in greyscale elegance) to keep the afterschool sledders busy and it's still coming down (;-D)

pas de nom
Location: Seattle... at the moment, in the middle of France (Montluçon)

Postby pas de nom » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:34 pm

I just recently got back from spending four months in France and they had the warmest autumn since 1950... I missed all the previous storms Seattle had this fall, but it just started snowing, so it is my first snow of the season.
Global warming is all about throwing off the equilibrum and it seems to be happening.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:10 pm

oh là, la france. où est-que vous avez resté?

bijou

Postby bijou » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:36 pm

they closed the EVCC campus at 5pm today... so though it's a day later, can i get a SNOWDAY???!!! (;-D)

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:37 pm

Can I get snow? I'm the Canadian here!

Return to “Cattywampus”