Reasons to live.

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Harvey Winters »

I'll see your 9yr old, with my 9yr old, and raise you an 11 and 6 yr. old!!!
bijou

Post by bijou »

and of course, i have to get married first! i can't die before that. the dress is already bought!

let me know when you need something borrowed... (;-D)
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Five or six hours alone in an empty, silent house with a fluffy blanket, a doggie snuggled by your side, and a really good book you can't put down.
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

Harvey Winters wrote:I'll see your 9yr old, with my 9yr old, and raise you an 11 and 6 yr. old!!!

um...i'll raise you a cat and a chihuahua?

i only have the one kid. :)
A Brutaful Smile

bijou wrote:
and of course, i have to get married first! i can't die before that. the dress is already bought!

let me know when you need something borrowed... (;-D)

i'm afraid to ask.... ;)

but i haven't even gotten that far. the whole wedding planning thing really sucks. turned out to be way more of a pain in the butt than i thought.
i have the dress tho! i can get married anywhere!
bijou

Post by bijou »

actually it is a fine ivory satin wrap for when it gets chilly and you have to work the crowd. (;-D)

as for planning, even the smallest affair is enough to make a couple crazy... on our family budget (my girl was almost eighteen months old when scott and i did the i do) we waited a month between a small intimate garden wedding with family and friends... and a raucous reception and mock wedding ceremony. having other artistic friends meant we got to have a little more creative fun than most weddings i've been to in the past. a photographer friend and former employer of mine (scott knew him in his work as an art director and his boss' fiance) loaned out his loft space in the arts factory... www.studiowestphotography.com
we invited all our friends and their children to dress up as dr seuss characters and my former boss took the formal seussian wedding party photo. my toddler girl ran down the aisle to her daddy as a star-bellied sneech. the crowd was filled with dr seuss characters... many daisy head maisies and thing one and twos... and poet/attorney/interim judge dayvid figler wrote and read the vows in seussian as the cat-in-the-hat. it was a really fun, beautiful, special day that was truly ours ...as opposed to someone else's version of a romantic event... thank you for reminding me of such a special personal memory. good luck with creating your own special day.
A Brutaful Smile

bijou wrote:as for planning, even the smallest affair is enough to make a couple crazy... on our family budget (my girl was almost eighteen months old when scott and i did the i do) we waited a month between a small intimate garden wedding with family and friends... and a raucous reception and mock wedding ceremony. having other artistic friends meant we got to have a little more creative fun than most weddings i've been to in the past. a photographer friend and former employer of mine (scott knew him in his work as an art director and his boss' fiance) loaned out his loft space in the arts factory... www.studiowestphotography.com
we invited all our friends and their children to dress up as dr seuss characters and my former boss took the formal seussian wedding party photo. my toddler girl ran down the aisle to her daddy as a star-bellied sneech. the crowd was filled with dr seuss characters... many daisy head maisies and thing one and twos... and poet/attorney/interim judge dayvid figler wrote and read the vows in seussian as the cat-in-the-hat. it was a really fun, beautiful, special day that was truly ours ...as opposed to someone else's version of a romantic event... thank you for reminding me of such a special personal memory. good luck with creating your own special day.

hhmmm, i don't know about the wrap since my dress is a burgundy/wine color, but that might work. :)

my huge issue is that i have a certain "vision" of how i want the wedding to be and i need serious help in putting it together. so i get to have a wedding planner which trying to find the "right" one is about as much a pain as all the rest of it.

your mock wedding sounds so cool! that's incredible!

our latest plan is to do a little like what you did. have a small "get legally married" ceremony and down the line have the big blow out party. but i change my mind a lot, which is why planning isn't going so well, so who knows how long this idea will stick. ;)
bijou

Post by bijou »

my huge issue is that i have a certain "vision" of how i want the wedding to be and i need serious help in putting it together. so i get to have a wedding planner which trying to find the "right" one is about as much a pain as all the rest of it.

my advice is to take your time, and allow wiggle room for changes and all those incidental expenses that never seem to come up until you've committed to so many other things. for us, it was more important to have a fun family-friendly celebration, than to have proper floral arrangements, salad forks or a vacation honeymoon. plus we were already living together, so it was easier to grasp all that pomp and circumstance was going to amount to the tiniest fraction of what our lives together was really about. the average wedding takes such a few minutes of your life... so many get sucked into the financial planning of that short span of time, when really what matters is the (hopefully) lifetime spent after the mutual i do and you may kiss your spouse. regardless, keep us posted... (;-D)
sour29

Post by sour29 »

bijou wrote:we invited all our friends and their children to dress up as dr seuss characters [...]
I'm not a big wedding guy...but I'll be damned if that doesn't sound like the best wedding in recorded history.
bijou

Post by bijou »

I'm not a big wedding guy...but I'll be damned if that doesn't sound like the best wedding in recorded history.

it was an easy fun visual that gave creatives of all ages a chance to participate. and who doesn't love quoting dr suess... an man who gave us many cool words to live by, as well as his own language...

i love green eggs and ham,
thank you, thank you sam-i-am...
(;-D)
A Brutaful Smile

sour29 wrote:...but I'll be damned if that doesn't sound like the best wedding in recorded history.

i know! i wish i had had that creative of an idea. we just want to have a rock and roll wedding. i DID have the idea of an 80's themed wedding. i LOVED the 80's but the fiance gave me a big "NO!" on that one. :(
so instead we will agree on 80's music for the reception. there will be a lot of motley crue and def leppard. :)
A Brutaful Smile

bijou wrote: plus we were already living together, so it was easier to grasp all that pomp and circumstance was going to amount to the tiniest fraction of what our lives together was really about. the average wedding takes such a few minutes of your life... so many get sucked into the financial planning of that short span of time, when really what matters is the (hopefully) lifetime spent after the mutual i do and you may kiss your spouse. regardless, keep us posted... (;-D)

this is what i keep trying to come around to. all that stuff isn't the important part. WE are the important part.

and i am having to deal w/the "we already live together" issue. we have been living together for about 2 years now and so it's like well...what difference is it going to make...nothing will change.
i just want to be married already. this is why i decided that maybe we should do the smallish deal and have it done then later worry about the big party.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

Man, I had lived with my husband for 5 years before we tied the knot, but although basically nothing changed, marriage made more of a difference than I could have imagined.
We left out any of the usual stuff we didn't see the point of, and just did all the stuff that we wanted to do. Thankfully we agreed pretty much on all of it - most of all on the fact that it should be a day that we would like, and if we did, most of the guests would also.
Tip of the day: count on rain, so that it's a nice bonus if the weather is good. My god, was I cold walking from the restaurant to the party venue. It was the one time I didn't prepare for every kind of eventually like I usually do, and I will be forever grateful to my (brand new) mother-in-law who lent me her coat.
ohiofan

Post by ohiofan »

Reading to a child that is snuggled in your lap.
Warm, perfectly seasoned stew.
Carrot cake.
galleta

Post by galleta »

tsé... you all missed the right answer

LOVE! you fools...
zach

Post by zach »

galleta wrote:tsé... you all missed the right answer

LOVE! you fools...

PaShaw. Overrated.
bijou

Post by bijou »

PaShaw. Overrated.

over EVERYTHING... its the ONLY thing... ask the one who's watched her spouse die.

i LOVE my child... i MISS my husband... i HOPE when my life ends, there really is another plane of consciousness that gives me one more embrace from my best friend. he was a good man on valentines day and everyday. and even four years later, i still miss him everyday.

sorry, just feeling a little too foolish today...
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

Reasons to live!

Phrase these as reasons to live! LOVE! HOPE! CELEBRATE LIFE!
bijou

Post by bijou »

sorry grant, some days there's just nothing to celebrate... but i'm trying my best to drown out, or silence the transitory internal voices that that offer me nothing... but more sad days. the sun needs to break the clouds soon... i hope...
Harvey Winters

Post by Harvey Winters »

Grant, Bijou amongst countless reasons to live,
the best (as proven earlier), is laughter...