Long Winters Elec-Tronic Time Capsule.

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

zach

Long Winters Elec-Tronic Time Capsule.

Post by zach »

So, this idea came to me after reading this:

No You Are wrote:I just noticed that I am basically responding to my two-years-ago-self here. Whoa.

What if we little winters wrote a little bit about current times and our current selves right here on the board and then, two years (or whatever) later, we came back to discuss. haha.

Hoh, boy.

But, seriously. How cool could this be? I mean, my nerdy self thinks it could be cool...
Squid

Post by Squid »

We have done something somewhat similar, but it was of a retrospective ilk, whereas you are inviting us to comment on what we are up to now. So, where am I?

I am in the process of trying to extract logic from a situation where there is apparently, none. I have a sneaking suspicion that the next step is going to be accepting that there is no inherent logic, but it's going to be a big ugly brawl in my subconscious before that occurs, lemme tell ya. Conclusion: sometimes, having a big squishy squidbrain just isn't enough. Whatevs. Soon I will be in Austin, absorbing several metric tonnes of new music in half a week. Heaven.

I'll also be 36 on Saturday. That's a lot of fucking indie rock under the bridge. Thank God for olive skin.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Hey, I love this idea!

Squid, you better throw your 2006 interview in the capsule too!

My contribution

I'm about to see the Long Winters again for the first time in over 2 years. It will be the first time I hear the songs "The Commander Thinks Aloud", "Honest", and hopefully, "It's a Departure" live. I am really happy about this (empahsis on the understatement).

Right now, at the beginning of 2007, based on a vague awareness of buzz and the Cochella band list, it looks like metal is gaining strength on the trend front. I think this will be a good influence. I'm counting on Squid and Grant for guidance in navigating the treacherous waters of metal...which I imagine populated by all sorts of monsters, machismo and, like, total cheese...but if those two souls dig it, there is something worth paying attention to.

I also hope our LDubs continue to evolve, and I am also remembering some interview that mentioned metal as a strong influence, so I'm wondering what they'll do with it. And will there be monster ballads?

Of course, I could be way off and metal is not coming back. Or it will, but it will be a short embarassing blip on the charts (like that slightly creepy band with the "I believe in a thing called love" song). Who knows.

This board is a pretty special place, and continues to be so even as members leave and new ones arrive. Liesbeth is a special warm and witty constant, making sure we don't miss <i>a thing</i>, keeping it all organized on her website; and for the record I think she has a better mastery of the English language than I do. And also, Jason should be noted for all his seemingly effortless effort on the technical side...you are pretty amazingly generous, man. And thank all of you for being so darn friendly, for being so forthcoming with all your genius knowledge, and sharing your babies born and other little ones thriving, lives changing, careers growing, pain and happiness expressed, and all the goofy energy and humor of totally shameless fandom. I think you are all really neat humans. That is how I feel, thank you and goodnight. [/speech]

As for me, I just returned to America from 16 months living in Japan. Living abroad changed my life....no, enlarged and clarified it, which is great in combination, I recommend it to everyone. I'm now returning to school, which is awesome because I'll soon qualify as a Grad Student member of the board, and not just a General Kook.

Also, I just turned 29 today (go go Pisces!), and to those ladies on this board without olive skin-- Wear your sunscreen, dammit!

Objects:

1.) Copy of Through with Love documentary
2.) Bonnaroo Article
3.) Bookeater's Tour poster
4.) Roderick is a StarWars Nerd interview
5.) Limited Edition Vinyl Boxset (my copy is imaginary, so I'll donate)
6.) Penguin shirt
sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by sour29 »

Welcome home, AND happy birthday! Thank you so much for the shout out. I know I get tyrannical when it comes to those technical things -- but I promise it's nurture and not nature! :)

I really like your choices for things you would put in a Long Winters time capsule. If I could capture things from this board, the first thing I would put in is some of bijou's wonderful artwork -- the one that pops into mind most immediately was the one of a child breast-feeding, considered too controversial for show -- and photography (especially ones of the kid and John! Too, too cute!). Most of the things I would want to put in are completely intangible. The humour, the love, the unbridled passion. This remarkable community of people who are so dedicated to this little band music astounds me every day. It's so wonderful to see many of the same people posting here today as there was when the board first opened up, almost four years ago. I consider it an honour and a privilege to have been embraced by this community; especially since my radical yet revolutionary claims of FLAC over MP3 where universally maligned.

I love that people are as excited about seeing and/or hearing the band today, for the umpteenth time, as they were in those initial board posts. I love that there are new people who join all the time. I would like to add everyone's first post to the time capsule. That would be fun.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

(did I really lurk for a YEAR before my first post? and was my first post really a complaint about not being able to see the Blue Diamonds video? ha! i am a jerk!)
bijou

Post by bijou »

the first thing I would put in is some of bijou's wonderful artwork -- the one that pops into mind most immediately was the one of a child breast-feeding, considered too controversial for show -- and photography (especially ones of the kid and John! Too, too cute!).

thank you sour29 for your very kind thoughts on my painting and photography. i'm trying to shake some rotten health issues and dig ourselves out of the sixteen inches of snow that fell here two days ago. as much as this school quarter has suffered the effects of the above mentioned double whammy, i'm staying home again today... saving it up for another dr visit tomorrow.

as for you kind folks... you have proved yourselves a welcome diversion from an otherwise quiet existence. you are all brilliant in your own rights... and i think it says a great deal about the band in general to attract such a swell bunch on a consistent basis. (;-D)
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

Well, this week was spent working from home with my now 7-week old daughter. I had no idea what it would be like going in, but it turned out pretty darn cool. Which pleases me, since I will be doing it full-time next year after moving to Omaha for my wife's fellowship.

For my wife and I, our first trip post-baby will be to Chicago at the end of the month to see the LWs. For that, I say WOO!!

WOO I say.

And since I can't put Claire in the time capsule (I would have LOTs of 'splainin to do) I will put her thoughts in...

http://www.clairemiranda.blogspot.com
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

Wow, just think how much might be known about the Giant Squid and other sea creatures in two years time.
Right, it's March 2007, and I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. Actually, this week it has been on my mind to improve my English and go for a Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency, and I thank ms. Felon very kindly for her praise. In my dreams I will read this again later and will laugh about my doubts, but I'm gradually learning to embrace them so perhaps I will feel more comfortable with them then. It helps to be able to vent my frustrations and goofy tendencies here, so thanks for listening, y'all.

With my warmest birthday wishes to Betty and Squid, I'm of the gemini persuasion and therefore fickle as hell in my allegiances. Hence it's truly amazing that I've been here for almost 4 years and it's all about the people that keep me here. I'm slightly superstitious in thinking ahead too far, but if in future days everyone can say they've lived their life as close to what they wanted it to be as life allows them (and that includes the band, whatever they wanna do, although I hope it's music) that would be pretty great.

in the capsule: a copy of John Vanderslice's Time Travel is Lonely, as a tribute to all the music and artists I got to know through this board. And perhaps in light of the metal thing 'Caught somewhere in time' by Iron Maiden?
bijou

Post by bijou »

And since I can't put Claire in the time capsule (I would have LOTs of 'splainin to do) I will put her thoughts in...

thanks for the update link... claire is soooo cute and she's so lucky to have such a swell daddy cool while mom works... for the timecapsule i'll offer up my husband's epiphone acoustic... doesn't make sense for it to be silent on a guitar stand, when there are so many capable players on this board... a metronome... to entertain the cats, a film timer... because photos are always necessary... and a seahorse... who doesn't like seahorses... i mean, no slight against the great squid... and betty for which the phrase... and many happy more... applies...
Harvey Winters

Post by Harvey Winters »

After taking my son to Seattle for his 1st concert ever in 2005,
and then taking him & my other 2 sons to see Harvey Danger in 2006,
I'll once again be with my 3 boys (Jay, Carter, & Blaze) at Maxwell's in Hoboken NJ,
for them to see The Long Winters...