geek ink

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:08 pm

Betty Felon wrote:GeoGeek! Nerd species are just coming out of the walls around here....

:) I love it.

We should totally make a TLW-board taxonomy. We could group by nerd vs geek vs dork (that conversation was here, yes?) at the top and then subdivide those classes into smaller and smaller groups illustrating the hierarchical relationships of various species of nerds, geeks and dorks (which are all part of the L-Dubs board family of organisms, of course). God damn, I need to get out more :)

(...but I'm stuck in the lab for at least another three hours...)

dianna

Postby dianna » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:59 pm

dchris wrote:In the LIN nerd department, I had a friend Ashley who was once considering an ash tattoo. She has since changed her name (and course of study) so it's probably a good thing she didn't go through with it.

Actually, I've been planning to get my name in IPA for some time, but I haven't been able to to make up my mind on the diacritics.

I thought about getting something in IPA, but I think that really, if I ever get a tattoo, it'll either be a fleur de lis or this:

Which is sort of the symbol of Diane de Poitiers, royal mistress of Henri II of France. It's sort of controversial because Henri was married to Catherine de Medici, and the symbol can be interpreted as an H and two C's, or an H and two D's. That's one of the reasons I like it so much. I've had a weird interest in Diane de Poitiers ever since I first read her name in a textbook...

Yeah. I'm a French major.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Dianna, I am completely mesmerized by your double belt buckle / Eye of Sauron tattoo.

dianna

Postby dianna » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:59 pm

No one understands me like you do, Flyn.

kyle_s9

Postby kyle_s9 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:03 pm

i've designed tattoos for a friend, and manager at work.
i'm thinking of maybe starting a website, and doing commission work

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:36 pm

kyle_s9 wrote:i've designed tattoos for a friend, and manager at work.
i'm thinking of maybe starting a website, and doing commission work

DNA Tiger! DNA Tiger! Not on me though.

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:08 pm

I think I know how Captain Jack felt that one time when he was trying to find keyboardists in Treehouse... ;)

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:34 am

New Girl, I do kind of like the idea of a Nerd Indentification Key. Sounds like an internet meme waiting to happen. It would be hard to figure out the metrics though.

Squid wrote:I think I know how Captain Jack felt that one time when he was trying to find keyboardists in Treehouse... ;)

Aw, this is what love, encouragment and support looks like from nerdy nice people who don't know when to shut up. :)

If I ever gain the personal foresight necessary to get a tattoo, you can bet it will be geek ink. I will let you know. Wouldn't it be awesome if after this is published you get flooded with mail from people with more examples? You might have to make it a series!

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:05 pm

My friend Justin has a tattoo of bones on his back, as in the bones that you'd see if his skin and flesh weren't there. Not exactly fitting your criteria, as he's not a biologist or anything. He just thinks it's cool. Nevertheless, I wish I could find a picture.

I cannot imagine the circumstances under which I would get a tattoo. Ridiculous amounts of mind-altering substances and/or peer pressure haven't done it, so I just don't see what could. I'm just too wussy about pain. Best of luck, though, Squidders, and if I see anything, I'll let you know!

Trying not to feel too left out regarding this Treehouse thing...kind of sulking, but I'm working on it.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:08 pm

Hey Squiddy, I found you a molecular biologist with a caffeine molecule and some other molecules related to her research. She's got high res pics too. I forwarded her your info. She loves to show off her geek ink, apparently.

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:04 pm

You ---> RULE! thx doll, i'll follow up with her...

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:14 pm

As long as we're gonna actually start being helpful, a friend of a friend has a couple pens crossed like swords, pips on his neck designating Starfleet Captain's rank, and some stuff in a couple different Star Trek fonts; if any of that seems usable, I can send out a carrier pigeon and try to make first contact.

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:32 pm

send him my way, yo. might want to mention, as betty did, that hi-res shots are most certainly the order of the day. thx, flyn!

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu May 17, 2007 8:50 am

Flyncookie, never heard from your pal, did they become shy?

*smiles sweetly*

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Thu May 17, 2007 2:46 pm

Squid wrote:Flyncookie, never heard from your pal, did they become shy?

*smiles sweetly*

Pal of a pal never responded, he is apparently not prone to social interaction. I tried!

Return to “Cattywampus”