What OS are you running?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

So? What's your box filled with?

Windows Vista
6%
Windows XP
56%
Windows 9.x / 3.1
No votes
Mac OS-X
28%
Mac OS (other than X)
No votes
Linux
11%

Total votes: 18

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

What OS are you running?

Post by sour29 »

So, I just installed a Ubuntu partition onto my hard drive. I'm dual booting it with XP. Basically, I'm trying to slowly ween myself off of Windows, because I hate Vista and I know support for XP isn't going last forever (maybe another 8-12 months?). I just grabbed Feisty Fawn, and so far the transition's been OK -- but not seamless. I guess I'm just curious if anyone here uses any Linux distros, and whether they can offer hints, tips, links, etc. to help make the transition easier?

Of course, this is a general OS topic, so feel free to let the chatter oscillate between Operating Systems. I know this board has a healthy Mac following, so let's talk Mac's, too. The more the merrier.

--

First tip, if you're trying Ubuntu or another Gnome-based distro:
Before you do anything else, grab Automatix. It comes STACKED with programs, codecs, and features not native to the original install that allow you to do just about everything you're used to doing on your PC. MSN clones to audio and video editors to CD ripping/burning programs and P2P programs. It's really quite excellent, and has made this transition much less painful that I was expecting. So far, anyway...

So, yeah. More tips, tricks, and programs for all OS's, please! ;)
Patr!ck

Post by Patr!ck »

I tried to get Ubuntu onto my Macbook, but for some reason it didn't work, and I lost interest in Linux distribution shortly thereafter.

And the support for XP will indeed last forever, which is Microsoft's problem. How long did support for 98 stick around? 6 or 7 years maybe? They're OS is so bad for two reasons:

1. Rather than abandon old software support, they cram it all in year after year thus holding back the true potential of the new OS.
2. Internet explorer is too close to the kernel of the OS. Other than the security flaws that come coupled with using a web browser as your OS navigation tool, IExplore is a shitty program anyway.

I love my Mac, and I'm never going back to Windows, especially with what I've seen from Vista.
zach

Post by zach »

OSX!
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

OSX. I used to be all hyper excited about macs when I first converted, but now I just never think about it. Perhaps I take it for granted, because all your troubs give me a headache to just read about.

I've had my computer for 3 and a 1/2 years and so far...not a single sick day (knock on wood).
the new girl

Post by the new girl »

I have XP on both my work comp and my new laptop...I'm avoiding vista for as long as possible, particularly on the laptop. If they make us switch at work I'll be ok with it, I suppose, because there are assorted tech guys to make things work and it won't be screwing with a computer bought with my hard-earned $$$.

I'm really tempted to try and get my laptop to dual boot w/ some flavor of linux and go that route after xp, but a few features of the laptop don't have linux drivers/support yet (built in camera/mic, fingerprint reader, nothing truly important, just the bells and whistles) and I also have some work-related software that's written specifically for windows and the guy who writes it is too busy to make it fully functional on osx/linux. Anyway, I'm fine with xp but vista might just be my breakpoint with microsoft...
sour29

Post by sour29 »

With XP, I've had some great results with some tweaks as described here. Many require Registry modification, though, so proceed with caution. I've done many of them with no ill effects and many performance boosts, so don't be afraid to try a couple of things out, 'though.

This link here does a lot of neat tweaks too, without you having to touch the registry (the small files you download do it for you!). Again, changes are being made to the registry which always could be disasterous, but the tweaks I've used from that site have worked fabulously.
icapants

Post by icapants »

I currently run XP on the home computer. I'm planning on purchasing a macbook in the next year, at which point the desktop will go to computer graveland, so I doubt I'll upgrade to vista.

My work computer runs 2000 because the tech guy is afraid of what XP would do. We're apparently going to switch over to linux in the next couple weeks. The tech guy is all proud of himself because we'll be using all open source stuff.
Flyn

Post by Flyn »

I use XP. I build a new computer every few years, and XP has been nearly trouble free for me, since it was released. I have, unfortunately, had a couple hard drive failures, based on Maxtor insisting on replacing their defective drive with another Maxtor (the nerve!), this one occasionally makes a noise like a very active geiger counter, but I back up the important stuff to my ipod on occasion and the rest is replaceable.

I have never met a linux user who spends as much time using their computer for computery things as they do trying to get everything to work. It is possible that such people exist, somewhere, but it kinda seems like building a mid nineties Ford Taurus from scratch. Really impressive work, maybe it even runs better than the real thing, but why is it painted flat black, and is that even street legal?

OSX seems nice enough, I might get a Macbook Pro someday, mostly based on the beautiful design of their notebooks (even though I can't stand touch pads) and the fact that Merlin commands it.
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

Depends on where I'm sitting. At home, XP or OSX; at work, XP Pro or Win 2000 Pro.
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

OSX for me at home, and for now, XP professional at work.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

So, after four straight days of having relatively few problems with Linux, my soundcard just outright stopped working in Ubuntu. So I'm temporarily back on XP. Until I figure out what to do, anyhow. Boo to no soundcard!
Patr!ck

Post by Patr!ck »

Yeah, OS X is really nice. I'm tapping away on my Macbook.
Harvey Winters

Post by Harvey Winters »

The shitty thing about Verizon DSL, (Don't tell my bosses), is that there's no tech support for Mac, or Vista...
If you're not running W2000, or XP, you're screwed...
nwheather

Post by nwheather »

And the moral of the story is: don't get any version of Windows that hasn't been out long. It'll likely be full of bugs and not supported by anyone.

XP Pro, by the way...god, I miss 2000, but I'm getting used to it. The option to use Classic view helps somewhat.

I'm waiting for the voice-op systems to come out...hopefully with Majel Barrett's voice! How sweet would that be??
Flyn

Post by Flyn »

nwheather wrote:I'm waiting for the voice-op systems to come out...hopefully with Majel Barrett's voice! How sweet would that be??

Clearly, there could be none more sweet.

Why isn't there an option up there for LCARS?
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Flyn wrote:I have never met a linux user who spends as much time using their computer for computery things as they do trying to get everything to work.
Sorry to bump a long-dead thread, but I saw this image and thought immediately of this post...
Flyn

Post by Flyn »

I was just thinking about this; night before last, I walked past my roommate's door, and he was typing an alphabet's worth of text at a command prompt for Ubuntu Linux, trying to get it to recognize a hard drive containing all his music. I may have already said this here, but the fact that linux is free is only notable if your time is worth nothing.

Also, think how much time could've been saved if that cartoonist had just used Comic Sans?
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Flyn wrote:I may have already said this here, but the fact that linux is free is only notable if your time is worth nothing.
I don't know if I necessarily agree with this. It's being spent learning and practicing new languages. While giving you a free, quick, and useful operating system to boot! (Pun not intended, really!)

That being said, I'm more-or-less back full-time on XP. I've been meaning to boot back into Linux, but can't be bothered.

PS. Comic Sans is amongst the worst fonts to ever be employed, anywhere.

PPS. Your roommate could save a whole lot of trouble by just formatting the drive in FAT32.
Flyn

Post by Flyn »

if he formatted it in FAT32 now, he would lose his data, and I assure you, if he was looking to save himself trouble a great many things would be done differently. There would be no unix based systems under this roof aside from the TiVo, and possibly a mac.

My friend had his computer completely hosed last night, as a friend of his roommate was over, and tried to "download music from the web". This somehow resulted in his computer being completely brought to its knees with spyware, and multiple trojans. Good times!
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Must've been a Windows computer! ;) I kid.