Recent Purchases (a photo thread)!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:06 am

well if we're counting concert tickets then the last thing i bought was.....drum roll please....

2 tickets to LA Guns/Faster Pussycat/Bang Tango!

a favorite performer of mine joined LA Guns as their new singer. incase you wondered what my really good reason was for this purchase. none of these bands were favorites of mine even back in my 80's days.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:14 am

not a purchase, but we got this magical birthday gift

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:42 am

neat!

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:52 am

better still, that photo of the magic holder is ripped from the internet, but the bottle we actually have in it (another gift) is this wonderful 'Chat-en-oeuf'. That means Cat on egg, hence the picture on the label.

Actually, I could easily have posted this in the Reasons to Live topic... this makes me happy.

icapants

Postby icapants » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:23 pm

Plus, you know, one of those iPhone things.

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Postby h4ck » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:34 pm

i bought more tattoos!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:11 pm

nice! took me a minute to realize you could read words on them. I was all "that 7 is backwards. And what is an "h" card? Should I tell him he has a permanent typo? Nah...." haha.

h4ck

Postby h4ck » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:06 am

haha, its a backwards 4!

Betty Felon wrote:nice! took me a minute to realize you could read words on them. I was all "that 7 is backwards. And what is an "h" card? Should I tell him he has a permanent typo? Nah...." haha.

h4ck

Postby h4ck » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:52 pm

got that today.. KHS Flight 100.. rides really well! hopefully my ass will lose some weight with that.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:23 pm

I just got a new bike too, but it's living at my parents until I do some things to fulfill my "no new toys until [Thing I've been Procrastinating] is complete" rule. Sometimes I have to bribe myself.

However, I am new to city bike riding. I am terrified it will get stolen, or that I'll bike somewhere and show up a sweaty mess. Anyone have any tips? Should I just sell it and learn to ride a motorcycle instead?

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:31 am

the Dutch approach to keeping your bike safe: two locks with safety seal, always use at least one to lock the bike to something fixed, don't have your bike look shiny and inviting to steal, don't leave it overnight in deserted places. I think Utrecht was the bike theft capital of NL for the past two years, but then again, some 15 to 20% of our population are careless students.

as for sweat: we don't have your summers, nor your hills, just a bit of western wind. Waterproof clothes is our main concern generally, and also our main source of sweat if you cannot afford the spiffy breathing rain gear.

but most of all: have fun cycling, you guys, I wouldn't swap it for anything in the world.

h4ck

Postby h4ck » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:59 am

ah... how i miss NL. with the bike, i was able to talk him into giving me a 100 dollar chain/lock for 60 bucks, and no tax (paid in cash) so that will hopefully help me keep it longer than not.. also, i dont really plan on riding it places and leaving it there..mostly riding around, or going to a coffee bar where it'll be locked up right in front of me.
i wish i lived in amsterdam, thats a great town for cycling everywhere...and everyone does

another rule, dont buy a junkie bike - you'll fall in the canal, or it'll get stolen! (thats what my friends told me when i got there..its bad luck!)

this is my second bike in the past few years... i had a pieced together single speed flip/flop which i left at my old apartment, which presumably still houses my ex as well... and im not interested in getting that back...so instead i bought a new one. eh, this one is lighter and faster and better anyway.
was definitely sweaty when i got home, i rode it from 26th street around looking for the bridge, finally found the brooklyn bridge and rode it down through there and home. it was a pretty long ride, but fun none the less. but i would much rather have rainy weather than hot weather. i hate hot weather.

Liesbeth wrote:the Dutch approach to keeping your bike safe: two locks with safety seal, always use at least one to lock the bike to something fixed, don't have your bike look shiny and inviting to steal, don't leave it overnight in deserted places. I think Utrecht was the bike theft capital of NL for the past two years, but then again, some 15 to 20% of our population are careless students.

as for sweat: we don't have your summers, nor your hills, just a bit of western wind. Waterproof clothes is our main concern generally, and also our main source of sweat if you cannot afford the spiffy breathing rain gear.

but most of all: have fun cycling, you guys, I wouldn't swap it for anything in the world.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:16 am

bike locks cost $100?!! I don't have one yet, as my parents garage in their sleepy suburb doesn't need one. eeeeeeep!

Is there like a Bikes For Dummies book I can buy that includes exciting chapters on "Basic Not-Getting-Stolen" and "Traffic Rules" and shit? I don't have a bike mentor that is patient enough to deal with my ineptitude....

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:07 pm

First up, that's a purty/stealthy bike. Very nice. I rode a friends fixie over the weekend and I think my dilemma about building up my old frame as a single speed or fixed was solved... it's a little strange at first but FUN! (and Albuquerque's pretty flat :)

Betty:
The sweaty thing is unavoidable at times, either ride slow which occasionally helps, wear less clothes (sleeveless is remarkably cooler than sleeves) or take extra clothes. For me, the bigger issue is usually helmet-hair which I just sort of deal with at this point (not as bad when it's shorter, I'm getting bored with the braid/ponytail now though so it's haircut time...).

GOOD bike chains/locks cost $100, but it all depends on where you leave it/how long/etc. At minimum, you want your bike to be better locked (and worse-looking/not as shiny) than the one next to it in the rack :)

I always lock the frame/front wheel w/ a u-lock and if I feel at all sketchy about the area, I either lock frame and both wheels w/ the u-lock (take front wheel off the bike, lock it w/ the back one) or use a heavy-duty cable (like these) and the u-lock together if I don't take the wheel off. My soon-to-be built road bike (somewhere in this thread, I think) isn't going to be locked anywhere but my winter-beater mtn bike gets left everywhere without much thought... kind of depends on the bike and the situation.

As for bike rules of the road, you're a car but without the 2-3000+ pounds of steel surrounding you... same rules apply. I roll through stop signs but treat them as yields if there's any traffic around and that's my only major bit of lawlessness on a daily basis. Depending on where you're riding, you may also want to take the right hand lane on occasion (to avoid getting doored by parked cars or at a red light, for example), it's usually legal but you might want to check (and be prepared for the occasional pissed off idiot driver). And wear a helmet. And get good lights. (not to nag, but both of these have saved my ass on various commutes/bar runs/etc)

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:49 pm

It's true. A little known fact -- I would be sidewalk splatter scrapped off the side of a sedan (how's that for alliteration?) if it wasn't for my bike helmet.

Said incident also accounts for my asymmetrical shoulders.

h4ck

Postby h4ck » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:53 pm

thanks! i quite like it. can't do much riding yet tho, not until i get myself some lights.

the lock i have is 100 yeah, well, chain and lock. its cool, the key has a little build in flashlight too! hehe! gotta have that riding a bike like that, in a town like this.

the new girl wrote:First up, that's a purty/stealthy bike. Very nice. I rode a friends fixie over the weekend and I think my dilemma about building up my old frame as a single speed or fixed was solved... it's a little strange at first but FUN! (and Albuquerque's pretty flat :)

Betty:
The sweaty thing is unavoidable at times, either ride slow which occasionally helps, wear less clothes (sleeveless is remarkably cooler than sleeves) or take extra clothes. For me, the bigger issue is usually helmet-hair which I just sort of deal with at this point (not as bad when it's shorter, I'm getting bored with the braid/ponytail now though so it's haircut time...).

GOOD bike chains/locks cost $100, but it all depends on where you leave it/how long/etc. At minimum, you want your bike to be better locked (and worse-looking/not as shiny) than the one next to it in the rack :)

I always lock the frame/front wheel w/ a u-lock and if I feel at all sketchy about the area, I either lock frame and both wheels w/ the u-lock (take front wheel off the bike, lock it w/ the back one) or use a heavy-duty cable (like these) and the u-lock together if I don't take the wheel off. My soon-to-be built road bike (somewhere in this thread, I think) isn't going to be locked anywhere but my winter-beater mtn bike gets left everywhere without much thought... kind of depends on the bike and the situation.

As for bike rules of the road, you're a car but without the 2-3000+ pounds of steel surrounding you... same rules apply. I roll through stop signs but treat them as yields if there's any traffic around and that's my only major bit of lawlessness on a daily basis. Depending on where you're riding, you may also want to take the right hand lane on occasion (to avoid getting doored by parked cars or at a red light, for example), it's usually legal but you might want to check (and be prepared for the occasional pissed off idiot driver). And wear a helmet. And get good lights. (not to nag, but both of these have saved my ass on various commutes/bar runs/etc)

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:47 pm

h4ck wrote:i bought more tattoos!

color me jealous - i'm taking ye olde 1/2 sleeve to a 3/4 but had to cancel my last three appts....and my guy is booked til next JUNE. I know I'll get in on cancellations earlier than that but still. It was totally the suck.

anyways, new stuff looks good! I'll be interested to know how annoying it was to move around while those were healing.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:57 am

Aw, thanks New Girl! That was awesome.

I was planning on getting a helmet, but I did not even think about lights. I'm a little nervous about the whole 'you are car' thing, since that taxis here are freakin' insane and constantly stop without warning. But I'll get the hang of it!

h4ck

Postby h4ck » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:13 pm

cool, got some pictures? i have been fighting with the idea of a sleeve for a while now.. i ended up getting the love/hate cards as low as i could, just to kinda keep that option open..at least, kinda.
healing wasn't too bad, sleeping was a little uncomfortable for a while..
the biggest pain in the ass honestly, was going home that night after getting them done and having them wrapped. every time my arms moved, it would slide up and come off.....so i took it off after like an hour.

Squid wrote:
h4ck wrote:i bought more tattoos!

color me jealous - i'm taking ye olde 1/2 sleeve to a 3/4 but had to cancel my last three appts....and my guy is booked til next JUNE. I know I'll get in on cancellations earlier than that but still. It was totally the suck.

anyways, new stuff looks good! I'll be interested to know how annoying it was to move around while those were healing.

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:19 pm

h4ck wrote:cool, got some pictures?

well man, things can change in 24 hrs. So, my pal deb and i have talked about matching pieces for about 10 yrs but have always been too busy. Moreover the artist we want to do them, Jesse Tuesday, (the one who did my sleeve) has a 10 mos waiting list.

Yesterday @ brunch I said: "TODAY is the day! Just something small, better than nothing". Since we're good friends w/ Jesse, we cracked ourselves up by calling and seeing if he had time for us. of course not, dude is in high demand. we contented ourselves w/the thought of hitting other shops when suddenly, Jesse called back. there had been a cancellation, and did we still want to come in?

For those of you who have never been tattooed, let me explain how this NEVER happens. N-E-V-E-R. It was like the Baby Jesus had ordained it so!

anyhoo blahblahblahboring, all pics of both my 1/2 sleeve and my newest trinket are here.

Return to “Cattywampus”