Recent Purchases (a photo thread)!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 pm

Oh, dragged into this by a book...can't. resist. Ok, who are the Harry Potter fans here? Convince me to take part in this cultural meme.....

And I don't know anything about pedals, but I vote for the orange one.

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:51 pm

*raises hand* HOWEVER...

I have neither seen Movie #5 nor been able to pick up my damn pre-ordered copy of Book #7. I am going into HP seclusion this weekend, so no spoilers til I'm done, people...

dianna

Postby dianna » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:01 pm

I'm willing to bet I can out-nerd anyone here when it comes to Harry Potter.

Did you get one of these with your book, Patrick?

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:06 am

I'm 550 pages into No. 7

icapants

Postby icapants » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:21 am

Dianna, you're seriously my favorite person right now.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:20 am

I've read 1-6 borrowing them from friends after they (and all their family and friends) were done with them, but I'm kinda torn whether to buy 7 to avoid someone spilling the beans before I get to read it. Don't think I will though, seeing how I feel I should buy the complete works of Roald Dahl before I succumb to the HP craze.

Didn't watch any of the movies so as not to spoil my imagination, but I'm afraid I've seen so many photos of Daniel Radcliffe that I cannot really get back my original idea of HP.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:01 pm

so whats the attraction guys?

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:22 pm

Betty Felon wrote:so what's the attraction guys?

They are nice quick reads, with compelling characters and storylines.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:04 pm

Flyn wrote:
Betty Felon wrote:so what's the attraction guys?

They are nice quick reads, with compelling characters and storylines.

That's it? No way. People do not get dressed up in goofy outfits and wait in long lines for a good beach read. There must be something....else.

dianna

Postby dianna » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:23 pm

As someone who got into the series as an eleven year-old, I'll say that it was totally cool that this book character had the same last name as I did. It was slightly more annoying when the series blew up and kids started asking me if I was Harry Potter's sister, but I've grown up loving the series and nothing's gonna change that.

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

The Killers

Postby Harvey Winters » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:01 pm

Today at FYE, I bought:

-Justice League Unlimited: Season 2
-Yellow Submarine DVD
-The Killers: Sam's Town

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:05 am

it's magic, betty, it's magic.

attraction for me was that the writer doesn't go too soggy to dilute the bad stuff in it: evil is evil and all does not necessarily end well for every character concerned, especially in the later books. Coupled with my love for boarding school/adventure books (what can I say, I grew up on Enid Blyton) I just couldn't resist, even if I was nearing my 30s when I first read 'em.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:43 am

Liesbeth wrote: the writer doesn't go too soggy to dilute the bad stuff in it: evil is evil and all does not necessarily end well for every character concerned, especially in the later books.

This is a big reason I liked the books (finshed No. 7 last night). Also, since they are not American books, there isn't as much of a worry about being overly PC/wholesome. For example, the (underage) charachers drink things called Butterbeer and Firewhisky. Now, whether they are alchoholic beverages isn't stated and I don't care, but I remember thinking that if this book was written in the States they would never allow those names. Because, you know, "Children will go out and become drunks after reading this. Somebody, please, think of the children!!"

There is a larger portion of society that tends to be a little uptight about everything. And unfortunately, everyone seems to cater to them.

But besides all that ranting, they just are cool stories.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:58 am

Liesbeth wrote:Coupled with my love for boarding school/adventure books

Ever read the Bruno and Boots books? I think they're Canadian books, so who knows if they were only popular here -- but as a kid, I adored those books.

Edit: Oh, I think they were "properly" called the McDonald Hall series.

Squid

Postby Squid » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:18 am

Betty Felon wrote:so whats the attraction guys?

Rowling's a contemporary children's author who gone to the trouble of creating a "world" - the likes of which we haven't seen, IMHO, since Narnia. HP lives in a parallel universe where magic comes to feel familiar, an everyday occurrence. It comes with rules, it comes with homework, and, as we find out, with consequences when used incorrectly.

I also dig that Rowling has a wink-wink sense of humor for grown-ups - of the three "Unforgiveable" curses, the most horrible is the Avada Kedavra. It is the murdering curse, the one that was used to kill Harry's parents, and that almost killed him. It's also, of course, derived from "Abra Kedabra", the cheesiest of rent-a-magician pronouncements*. It gives this eerie feel to something that previously seemed innocent.

And while I'm rambling, I love JK Rowling because she created Harry as a newly divorced mom with a baby. When I get really discouraged as a writer, I think of her as she's described herself at the time: sitting in a cafe, writing chapters whenever her baby was napping. That kind of discipline and self-drive is extremely inspiring to me.

*Or rather, it's cheesy now. Apparently "abracadabra" was a very holy incantation of some sort in ancient times. I'm sure Grant knows...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:49 am

Have you every heard that Steve Miller song? As eerie as they come. But I love it anyway.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:04 am

in answer to sour's queries I have to confess that although McDonald Hall means nothing to me, I do know, AND rather liked the Steve Miller song. Ah, youth.

Perhaps while I'm on a roll I should add that as a child I loved, adored, swooned over Little House on the Prairie and I must confess it shaped my view of the US profoundly. And what do you know: there is a Little House book called The Long Winter. Have we finally found the source of the band name?

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:27 am

It's a genuine curse and healing talisman.

The pertinent bit:

"I create as I speak"

A possible source is Aramaic: עברא כדברא avra kedabra which means "Creating as speaking" which is thought to be in reference to God creating the universe (in some belief systems, ex nihilo), by speaking (see also Fiat Lux). An alternative spelling is avda K'Davarah. One may also view it as "I transgress as I speak" in the aramaic עבריה כדבריה which is phonetically closer.

The curse and the pestilence

There is the view that Abracadabra derives from the Hebrew, ha-brachah, meaning "the blessing" (used in this sense as a euphemism for "the curse") and dabra, an Aramaic form of the Hebrew word dever, meaning "pestilence." They point to a similar kabbalistic cure for blindness, in which the name of Shabriri, the demon of blindness, is similarly diminished. Other scholars are skeptical of this origin and claim that the idea of diminishing the power of demons was common throughout the ancient world, and that Abracadabra was simply the name of one such demon.

Other phrases that have been suggested as possible origins

Abracadabra may have been from:
• a corruption of the Hebrew avar k'davar which means roughly "it will be according to what is spoken;"
abreq ad Habra meaning "hurl your thunderbolt even unto death."

Disappear like this word

Some have argued that the term may come from the Aramaic אבדא כדברא abhadda kedhabhra, meaning 'disappear like this word'. Rather than being used as a curse, the Aramaic phrase is believed to have been used as a means of treating illness.

Abraxas

It has also been claimed that the word comes from Abraxas, a Gnostic word for God (the source of 365 emanations, apparently the Greek letters for Abraxas add up to 365 when deciphered according to numerological methods). It has also been claimed to come from Abracalan (or Aracalan) who is said to have been a Syrian god.

My guess is that Rowling probably got into it from Crowley, who received it as a meditational aid/mystic answer to mystic questions. According to that Great Beast, it's the formula of our Aeon, the esoteric symbol for the world in which we are now living.

The wanton use of words like this is yet another example of why these "witches" and "wizards" must be utterly destroyed as the inhuman menaces they are.

Squid

Postby Squid » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:30 am

Liesbeth wrote:Have we finally found the source of the band name?

fairly certain band name source is book quoted at the beginning of the PTDTB feature in Paste?

Squid

Postby Squid » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:33 am

Also: I told you Grant would know. I just wish he wouldn't hate on the witches and wizards, so. Many of them mean well.

Especially the HOTT ones like Alan Rickman.

*swoon*

Return to “Cattywampus”