Nada Surf: New album "Lucky" out on February 5th

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Nada Surf: New album "Lucky" out on February 5th

Postby Moni » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:47 am

1. Weightless
2. Whose Authority
3. Beautiful Beat
4. Here Goes Something
5. From Now On
6. I Like What You Say
7. Ice on the Wing
8. The Film Did Not Go 'Round
9. The Fox
10. Are You Lightning?
11. See These Bones

press text from their blog on myspace:

"Beloved New York-based band Nada Surf will be releasing their new record, "LUCKY," on February 5th, 2008 on Barsuk Records, and will be offering fans the opportunity to hear the track "See These Bones" at www.myspace.com/nadasurf starting today.

"LUCKY" is Nada Surf's fifth record and third for Seattle indie Barsuk Records, following the successful and critically lauded "Let Go" (2003) and "The Weight is a Gift" (2005). The band lineup for almost 12 years has been and still is Matthew Caws (vocals, guitar), Daniel Lorca (bass) and Ira Elliot (drums). The record is filled with songs of restlessness, longing and the elusiveness of love. Yet, in its inimitable way, the band beautifully counterbalances its signature lyrical wistfulness with its singular musical buoyancy. Intimate tunes become we're-all-in-this-together anthems, thanks to the chiming guitars, propulsive beat, and the ever-present yearning in Caws' voice.

"I tend to be pretty hopeful about things further in the future, but full of anxiety about the next eight hours," jokes Caws. "Unlike my friend John Flansburgh from They Might Be Giants, who says he's manic depressive without the depression, I think I'm manic depressive without the mania. Yet I'm ready to be cheerful at the drop of a reason. I'm always looking for rapture in music."

"LUCKY" was co-produced by the band and John Goodmanson (Death Cab For Cutie, Blonde Redhead, Sleater-Kinney). It was recorded in Seattle at Robert Lang Studios where artists like Nirvana, Foo Fighters and Dave Matthews, among many others have worked in the past.

Many great artists make guest appearances on the record, including:

Death Cab's Ben Gibbard, Ed Harcourt, John Roderick of the Long Winters, and guitarist Phil Wandscher of Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter. To help announce the coming of the new record, Nada Surf is about to embark on a national headlining tour. The dates begin October 13 in Philadelphia and end November 2 in Baltimore. Sea Wolf will be supporting."

Moni

Postby Moni » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:47 am

Two weeks ago they were still about to mix 7 songs.

That was quick.

icapants

Postby icapants » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:53 am

Huzzah! I've been wondering when this would show up.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:23 pm

why, only yesterday did I see a Dutch band do a (really cool) cover of The Way You Wear Your Head, the timely coincidence is amazing.

yeehah!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:23 pm

This has further invigorated my excitement for my road trip to see Nada Surf play not one -- not two -- but THREE shows in Chicago, IL. WOOOO!

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:22 pm

I really like See These Bones.

I'm glad someone's making an effort to bring back "the 5 minute song".

Seems like everything's 3:xx these days.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:43 pm

Fark. Just back from a four day jaunt down to Chicago. Which was really a two-day jaunt, because of ridiculous travel time. Saw Nada Surf three times. The sets are really, really, really heavy on Let Go material, but the band is as excellent as always. They only played two new songs (I Like What You Say and Who's Authority?), but they're catchy!

There was a couple of problems with recording -- the first night being a really drunk guy right behind me singing/shouting along, very very VERY off key. The second afternoon show, I had mic problems, and the third show was just a lot of talkers, not at all interested in the music. Which is lame, because there were tonnes of *real* fans outside that couldn't get in.

But good times were had. The people of Chicago were sooo friendly and helpful. The city is a lot of fun -- but the public transit is a mess.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:38 pm

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread (but a perfect night to do it on!), but all my Nada Surf recordings are up at HH now, as is last night's Maria Taylor show.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:12 pm

sour29 wrote:Sorry to resurrect a dead thread (but a perfect night to do it on!), but all my Nada Surf recordings are up at HH now, as is last night's Maria Taylor show.

You're meddling with forces you don't understand; this thread was in the ground for a week and a half.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:00 am

I can't help that I'm a necrothreadiac! *sobs*

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:13 am

on this board there is no such thing as a dead thread: topics can be dormant for years and someone might rake it up again. Sour scores full points for most beautiful word of the week.

talk about years: it has been way too long since i've seen Nada Surf, hopefully they will come to Europe when the new album's out.

A Mess

Postby A Mess » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:44 pm

I'm pretty excited for this. And it comes out on my little brother's 16th birthday. Though, he mostly listens to bands like My Chemical Romance and Emery so I don't think he'd appreciate it as a gift.

kyle_s9

Postby kyle_s9 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:45 pm

i got the promo today.

So this is where i start listening to Nada Surf.

Man, soooooo good! I've fallen in love this album, it's pop music at it's finest.
Jason, were you at the Sonic Boom show?
now i shall go listen to more Nada Surf.

ps, what song is John on? And does anyone else think "I Like What You Say" could be a long winters song? lol, i just picture john singing that chorus.
and is that Ben on the "See These Bones"

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:14 am

kyle_s9 wrote:i got the promo today.

So this is where i start listening to Nada Surf.

Man, soooooo good! I've fallen in love this album, it's pop music at it's finest.
Jason, were you at the Sonic Boom show?
now i shall go listen to more Nada Surf.

ps, what song is John on? And does anyone else think "I Like What You Say" could be a long winters song? lol, i just picture john singing that chorus.
and is that Ben on the "See These Bones"
Yes, sir, I was! The recording is up at HaterHigh.com, too! Were you there, sir? If not, you missed a fun in-store! And about twice as long as I expected!

Interesting note: From Now On is on the advance copy of the album that leaked online in mid-December -- but is no where to be found on the Street Team's advance copy. I wonder what happened? 'Tis a wonderful song.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:32 pm

i got lucky this weekend
i love this album

Return to “Cattywampus”