Crocodile Closed, RIP

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Crocodile Closed, RIP

Postby NatureBoy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:33 pm

Reported here, and discussed here.

For sale here, and a steal at only $500,000.

I saw a lot of great Long Winters/John solo shows here. I'm thinking in particular about the best version of Mimi I ever heard, at a solo acoustic show, which was also the first time I remember hearing Commander Thinks Aloud, back before it was recorded. There was also the show where the full band played Soundgarden's "Outshined" with Sean on lead vocals and John playing the guitar part on his Ric, totally shredding on the edge of the stage in front of Jace and I's outstretched metal fingers.

Also really enjoyed the 'secret show' with TLW and Death Cab, where there were maybe 20 people in the audience total. I remember talking to Chelsea afterwards and agreeing that we'd never see either band play a show in front of a crowd that intimate in Seattle ever again. Turns out we were right.

Then there was the Thanksgiving weekend headlining show a few years ago, where it was shocking how packed it was during a holiday weekend. People crammed out into the cafe windows in the jacketed, sweltering heat. The ventilation was bad, but it became a far more pleasant experience when the indoor smoking ban went into effect. Exactly a year after that was the second show ever filmed for the documentary film, and I'm glad there's video proof of TLW's success there.

I'm too young to have stories about seeing Nirvana or Temple of the Dog there or anything, and while others cut their music loving teeth there on some historically significant bands, it was a place that much later I really learned to appreciate going to see live music versus sitting in the dark with headphones on. There was a unique feeling about the place that isn't present in any other Seattle venue.

Sure it was 'just another venue', and not everything about it was good - if you didn't like copious amounts of easily accessible cocaine, and its proximity to the gentrified encroachment of the belltown douchebags. Another place to see music will crop up, but if you ask me money would have been better spent keeping a place like this alive than building the Experience Music Project. It was a significant place in a lot of ways to a lot of people.

I'm sure other Seattlites have fond memories of the place. These are mine.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:08 pm

hey...we actually met there!

i thought i had just read it wasn't put up for sale yet. that's weird. there are so many speculations as to what will happen tho so who knows. and personally, i doubt it will open as a club again. BUT...if that plan of all those people who want to pool their money together works out, maybe it will!

i've seen so many clubs come and go over the last 12 years or so and each one is a blow. this one especially. i rank it up there with the OK Hotel and the Colourbox. the choice of music venues for smaller local bands is becoming increasingly less and less.

Return to “Cattywampus”