Flap and Doodle: The Great Quote Thread

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Flap and Doodle: The Great Quote Thread

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:53 am

"He writes the worst English that I have ever encountered. It reminds me of a string of wet sponges; it reminds me of tattered washing on the line; it reminds me of stale bean soup, of college yells, of dogs barking idiotically through endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it. It drags itself out of the dark abysm of pish, and crawls insanely up the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash."

--H.L. Mencken on Warren G. Harding

flowerdead12

Postby flowerdead12 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:21 am

" life's a box of cherries, pop it!"

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Transformers, as any parent who has ever bruised a heel on Bonecrusher can tell you, were a line of toys that could, given sufficient wrenching, be turned from cars and planes into robots and back again. Nowadays, we would call this recycling, but at the climax of the Cold War it felt more like eternal readiness. You could sit moodily in the back of your parents’ Pontiac Sunbird and imagine cruise missiles bursting out of the headlamps.

Anthony Lane, New Yorker

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Harvey Winters » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:12 pm

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."-Homer Simpson

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu May 01, 2008 11:28 am

"He did not understand women. It wasn't the way bartenders or comedians didn't understand women, it was the way poor people didn't understand the economy. You could stand outside the Girard Bank Building every day of your life and never guess anything about what went on in there. That's why, in their hearts, they'd always rather stick up a 7-Eleven." --Pete Dexter, God's Pocket

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Thu May 01, 2008 12:57 pm

He writes so well he makes me feel like putting my quill back in the goose.-Fred Allen

leigh

Postby leigh » Thu May 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Thus strangely are our souls constructed, and by such slight ligaments are we bound to prosperity or ruin. -Mary Shelley

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Thu May 01, 2008 6:21 pm

Moral victories don't count- S.G. Tartakower

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Postby h4ck » Sun May 18, 2008 1:20 pm

ive got a bunch.

“He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.”
– William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)
-
“Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?”
- Ernest Hemingway
-
"Why is it that you physicists always require so much expensive equipment? Now the Department of Mathematics requires nothing but money for paper, pencils, and waste paper baskets and the Department of Philosophy better still. It doesn't even ask for waste paper baskets" - (unknown)
--
"ask him for a pony & a rainbow" - Magda Armstrong (my friend regarding a new job i took)

a ton of bukowski quotes....but i'll leave you with only these charming lines.

"women never want sensibility. all they want is a kind of emotional vindictiveness toward somebody else they care for too much. woman are basically stupid animals but they concentrate so much and entirely upon the male that they often defeat him while he is thinking of other things"
-Charles Bukowski

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon May 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Clearly some broad asked Bukowski for a pony and a rainbow when he least expected it.

We're good at that.

Return to “Cattywampus”