Official UEFA EURO 2008 Thread!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Who's gonna win this thing?

Netherlands
38%
Spain
No votes
Portugal
No votes
France
13%
Germany
No votes
Italy
25%
other (please specify)
25%

Total votes: 8

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:58 am

Anyway, gotta support Sweden tomorrow; they've got the most awesome fans. And Squid, I'm now of course counting on Portugal to kick some german ass :) (and as it looks now, that shouldn't be too hard for them, but then soccer championships tend to be regularly crazy)
Some pics from the SWE-ESP game (it was pretty cold that day):

ImageImageImage

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:30 am

I'm so sorry Moni! I thought you guys played valiently throughout. *sigh* it's goddamn heartbreaking BUT! at least have some match-ups today that are near and dear to the LW board's heart, eh? To wit:

1) Moni's away-from-home faves, Italia are squaring off against France (oui! oui! Henry!*) in an eerie World Cup finalesque rematch. Italy has finesse, tactics and the winner's confidence, but France has a blood score to settle, and you know - tarnished retirement or no - President Zizou will be watching.

2) Liesbeth is donning her huge Orange wig and her windmill** costume and getting ready to support the homeland as they do battle with Romania! The Netherlands have already qualified as winners in their group, but it's still going to be an interesting match.

*yes, i'm still doing that GIVE ME A BREAK HE'S HOTT ALRIGHT? Jeez.
** is it a "sexy windmill" costume L? Go ahead, you can tell us.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:34 am

"Royal Fan Club"???

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:35 am

ps: and re: Portugal. Damn right, and this time, it's PERSONAL. ;)

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:45 am

blimey, the Romanian players CANNOT SING, as witnessed during their national anthem.

my windmill costume is very chaste, since it's really cold at night here at the moment. I"m working on a deeply cut tulip dress though, but since I never post photos of myself you will just have to guess how risqué it is.

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:50 pm

Couldn't sing and moreover, couldn't score, by the looks of things - congratulations to our Saucy Tulip, as her team advances!

And Italy truly made short work of the French. Congratulations, Moni! Gotta go back and see what Abidal got the red card for...someone on 606 declared the end of an era for France and I have to agree. Really doesn't bode well for them 2010, does it?

WOOTY WOOT WOOT. I love having you guys to talk to. Being a footie fan can be a very lonely exercise here in the States.

Ok, Moni. I expect to see great photos of you in your Swedish Fish costume. Don't disappoint us.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 pm

9 Dutch points in the group of death... whoever placed their bets on these seemingly ridiculous odds did well.

me baking strawberry muffins DURING the match gives some idea of how relaxed I was tonight - now it's back to stressful matches.

by the way, squid, enlighten us how you are dressed for the occasion. Face paint? Dyed hair? Football tattoo?

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Liesbeth wrote:9 Dutch points in the group of death... whoever placed their bets on these seemingly ridiculous odds did well.

That'd be me. Not so much based on actual knowledge as the fact that I like the orange uniforms and because the boyfriend, who does follow the football, suggested they might be a darkhorse. But mostly because I like the uniforms :)

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:02 am

Oh Squid, you made me laugh. Thanks for that... group e-hug!

Speaking of fish and Sweden and stuff, can I get a minute of silence for the poor confused polar bear that was shot in Iceland? Poor bear, R.I.P.!

As for the Austrian and German coaches being sent to the stand, UEFA still has to give an explanation. Your best bet at the moment is that the 4th ref (whose only job is to watch over the coaching zone) was just being an ass.

Speaking of people who cannot sing, I present you german and austrian fans in the key of notsogood :) (the "Che serà, serà"-dude is awesome tho!)

I have to say I wouldn't want to have to play in our team--most of them are very young, and they got so much shit from the press within and outside the country cos they played some really awful matches over the past year. But what do you wanna do if there's not too much talent and a coach who, to put it nicely, isn't too great either? And it's not like having this event here was their choice.
So it was really nice to see they got so much support from the fans during this tournament. When I saw all the merch I was wondering who the hell was supposed to buy all this, and then suddenly you see loads of fans wearing those insanely expensive (€ 70,-!) team dresses.
The team didn't play too well, made quite a few mistakes, but they really really tried.

Anyway, yes! Today's all about Sweden!
And we'll have a Spain-Italy quarter final in Vienna. That's just very sexy. As for Croatia playing Turkey, I can only hope this one's gonna go over peacefully. Jesus.
Last edited by Moni on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:33 am

galleta

Postby galleta » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:16 am

HEY! VIVA ITALIA?????

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:50 pm

Sorry galleta :) As for the ITA-ESP quarter final, I'll be happy for either team to win. I'm leaning towards Italy, but Spain might be more deserving.

Aah you should've seen the Swedish fans yesterday. It was heartreaking
:(
Lies, I'm now counting on team tulip to kick some russian ass!

Video for today: Frank Ribéry and Luca Toni* shootout before the tournament (they both play for Bayern munich at the moment).
"And now, andiamo sul tetto!" (and now let's go to the roof). I LOL'd.

*LT=big hunk of cute. If Squid can do it, so can I :)

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:16 am

The giant burgundy and green butterflies are swirling around my tummy.

FORCA!!!!!!!!!!

For those like me that can't watch the entire game live *sniff*, I love the live blog done on BBC by Caroline Cheese. First of all, because that has to be the best name ever, and secondly, because she is knowledgeable and hilarious (the trademarks of truly great sportscasters, no?), and thirdly, the texts that people send in are pretty funny as well. Just saying.

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:41 pm

oh my god. that was beyond suck. so painful coz they looked like they were getting to equalize at so many points.

*sob*

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:44 pm

Major suckage. That just cannot be true.
FUCK.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:34 pm

Best team won tonight, although we had some hope after that late equalizer. Spain be warned, three group winners have been knocked out already...

Squid

Postby Squid » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:43 pm

*sigh* just left the pub i was watching the match in. Walked home behind a big orange cloud of sad visiting students walking ahead of me. :( though it is a beautiful sunny day here, (and not nearly as brutally hot as yesterday) so hopefully that was some consolation to them.

And yeah, was interesting to hear my fellow Americans spouting very confident talk about Spain. (Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that 5 people out of 20 in an American bar actually care! Though to be fair I happened to watch this match in a Russian neighborhood - might have skewed the ratio a bit) I wanted to courteously point out that a) Spain have a tendency to advance and then, erm, not advance and that b) Italy are no_fucking_joke. But I didn't. Diplomacy, you know? Plus I was also watching Peru get our asses kicked by Uruguay on a smaller screen. Ugh.

Lies, can you send me a strawberry muffin? As consolation, I mean.

*sigh*

Squid

Postby Squid » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:53 pm

ps:

WHOA. Just read that tix outside the stadium were going for 800 EUR? (That's $1247ish, my fellow Yanks). WTF. No wonder some of the stands looked so empty.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:48 am

And once again, major suckage. Ah well at least today it should be a win-win situation (even if I do wanna see Luca Toni to score!).

I persuaded teh Someone to leave the fanzone 15 minutes before the regular playing time would be over and go home for a drink, cos apparently I was bad luck to any team I want to win, and yes, as soon as we were on the U-train, Van-effin-Nistelrooy scored!
However, after watchgin the SWE-RUS game, I wasn't too surprised that Russia won in the end. They've got a young team, they're incredibly quick and they seem to have stamina lasting forever. The Swedes had a pretty olid defense (better than the Dutch, methinks), and the Russians still got through twice. Plus they have a dutch coach, so they knew very well what they were up against.
And why the hell didn't Robben get to play? And Van Persie only for half of the game? What the HELL, Marco?
Still, the flood of orange in the fanzone was awesome! Pictures to come later.

By the way, you maybe noticed the dutch players all wore a black ribbon--Khalid Boulahrouz's wife had given premature birth to a daughter a couple of days ago who died only a day later. What a terrible tragedy :(

In the meantime, Vienna has been taken over by Spaniards. They've been all over the city since Friday, and apparently it's very fashionable for Spanish boys to wear their national flag as a sarong :)
Yesterday you could actually see more Spanish than Russian fans in the fanzone. (Orange, however, prevailed) There was one funny scene of Austrian fans greeting a group of guys clad in red and gold like heroes, singing together, posting for pictures and so forth. Quite interesting actually, I thought there'd be more Italians in the house, but so far I only noticed a few specks of blue. We'll see how that goes today (if that stupid migraine's gonna go away in time, that is).

And yea, Peru's last in the South American group, no? Well maybe if I cross my fingers for your opponents every time from now on, you'Re gonna win some ;)
But apparently Brazil is in no good shape, either. They got booed after a 0:0 draw against Aergentina. No too big surprise tho after their weak showing at the last world championship in '06.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:15 am

¡vamos españa!

Return to “Cattywampus”