Te-le-vision

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Te-le-vision

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:46 am

Do you like television? I like television. And I'm looking for recommendations, either non-cable or available on netflix. So what is your favorite?

Mine:

1.) LOST has been ultra boring this season, but I found an even better show in Battlestar Galactica. Laugh all you want, this show is AWESOME. I am obsessed and I don't care who knows it because I still can't fraking believe **** **** is a cylon.* (OMG how is that possible? Noooo!) Unfortunately, it's about to end, just as I got all caught up. *sigh* This show was particularly great because almost all fans are equally obsessed, and there is nothing like a smart, melodramatic space opera to make a great once-a-week-television-as-social-event party.

2.) On the flip side of the nerd coin, when it comes to reality tv, my nose comes firmly out of the air for So You Think You Can Dance. I LOVE this show. I love the dance, and I love seeing 19 year olds put their whole hearts into it and work their asses off and act like consummate professionals. Which, if you know any 19 year olds, is miraculous in and of itself. Sometimes I think art (acting, music, dance) has been too professionalized, but oh it's so great to watch people do things with their bodies you wouldn't think possible. (Did you SEE that popper?!)

That's about it for me. et tu?

If you don't own a television,click here.

*censored to prevent spoiler

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:54 am

Battlestar Galactica is Awesome. So say we all.

Probably my other favorite show is The Venture Brothers, part of the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim lineup; I watch every episode at least twice the week it airs.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:57 pm

I am only five episodes in, so no Battlestar spoilers, please! <3 :)

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:16 pm

The Office (BBC Version) - funniest show EVER EVER EVER

The Riches - continuing the funny British Guy theme

The Wire - took 4 months to watch entire series on Netflix. Blew my face off

30 Rock - funniest American show EVER... I know its early to say that, but its that good.

Mr. Show with Bob and David

Kids in the Hall

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Drama-House, Bones, New Amsterdam, Brotherhood, Dexter

Comedy- Big Bang theory (Ubergeeks on parade!!!), 30 Rock, 2.5 Men, Reno 911, Reaper

Reality- Hell's Kitchen, Ax Men, 30 Days

Fantasy- Smallville, Heroes

Animation- Robot Chicken, The Boondocks
Last edited by Harvey Winters on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:01 pm

sour29 wrote:I am only five episodes in, so no Battlestar spoilers, please! <3 :)

Awww. Now, I can say to you what a friend said to me when I was about where you are:

"You are in for SUCH a treat. I'd give anything to watch it again for the first time."

Savor it! Don't just gulp it down in large bites without chewing. The exquisite netflix-is-too-slooooow agony is your best friend. Enjoy! ;)

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:34 am

are we talking the old 70's BG here? with Dirk Benedict? or do you have a new series over there?

i'm a closet fan of Desperate Housewives, it's fluff, but it's fun fluff.
Also almost all British detectives series are on my list, Morse being top of the bill (but i've seen them all 3 or 4 times, which does little for the mystery), but also Frost, Silent Witness, Taggart, Dalziel & Pascoe are all fun. And we had Monk on at dinner time for months, which we really miss now.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:46 am

I think we're talking about the new one...

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:52 am

Oh, not the cheesy 70s version. There is a new 're-imagined' version which is about 1 billion times better than the original. It's won a peabody award, has a really talented cast, and has a lot of thinly veiled political references to Iraq (that work well somehow!)

It's worth checking out.

Monk! I love Monk, the lovable defective detective. But there haven't been new ones in a long time!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:56 am

On that note, I watch a lot of TV. I used to watch virtually none, but then I got into the habit o f having it one while I do other things. IE. browsing the web, cleaning me room, working out, getting dressed, chatting on MSN, etc. That being said, here's a thorough look at what I watch regularly.

Code: Select all

Sunday: Everybody Hates Chris, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter

Monday: Gossip Girl, Degrassi: The New Generation, Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, The Mole, Heroes, Prison Break

Tuesday: Reaper

Wednesday: South Park

Thursday: My Name Is Earl, Smallville, Lost, The Office

Friday: Battlestar Galactica

Saturday: Spectacular Spider-Man

As you can see, I have enough shows that air on Monday to pretty much take me through the rest of the week. I also have a couple of shows I didn't watch on TV but plan on catching up on this summer: Chuck, and Terminator both come to mind. Plus I still have a whole lot more Battlestar to catch up before I can actually start watching it on Friday's.

I'm not one of those people who can "occasionally" watch shows. I need to watch every show from beginning to ending. I'm obsessive like that.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:11 am

wow, do you ever get to go outside?
it's summer, you can play outside until it's dark

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 am

Netflix brings me BSG (still waiting for second "series" disc... the one after the miniseries and the first disc of season 1).

I'm also just into the second season of The Wire, which is taking interesting turns. The family has also become obsessed with Smallville and Angel - both because of relationships to Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and Spike/Brainiac).

I think our house has, on average, just caught up with 2000 or 2001 on the teevee.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:19 am

MY FAVORITE TOPIC!!! I LOVE TV!

i used to feel bad because everyone i knew was so anti-television, rots your brain, read a book, yadda, yadda, yadda. but i don't care anymore. i'm loud and proud about my tv addiction now. the dvr is my most favoritest invention EVAR. also, when the TV guide comes out with it's fall edition with all the new shows and the schedules for all the channels i get the highlighter out and go to work. i'm not even joking. it's one of the funnest things to me and i get giddy.

right now tv is slow because of the summer season. the only thing i am watching regularly is so you think you can dance. kathy griffin's my life on the D list starts this week and jon & kate + 8 are always on. the soup on E is a must watch on friday nights.
i did watch american idol this past season but that is only the second time i have watched a whole season. i normally just watch the hilarious audition episodes and then bail. OH and i also record ellen every day, but she's on summer break now too. :(

favorites...

first, those past or recently cancelled:
my so called life
gilmore girls
veronica mars
men in trees
october road

in current rotation:
bones
ugly betty
supernatural
grey's anatomy
gossip girl
how i met your mother
heroes
chuck
reaper
brothers and sisters
pushing daisies
the riches
terminator: the sarah connor chronicles
america's next top model (new season is already only a few months away)
burn notice (starts again in july)
rescue me (got screwed by writer's strike, will be back next year, but will have "mini-sodes" until then)
damages (it's supposed to have a second season but i don't know what is happening with that)

i also like to watch reruns of shows like that 70's show, reba, still standing, king of queens, etc, etc.

you're sorry you asked, aren't you? :)

icapants

Postby icapants » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:45 am

The only shows I seem to be watching lately are Jon and Kate plus 8 and Doctor Who.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:01 pm

Big Love

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:21 pm

Oh man, I forgot about Chuck and Spectacular Spiderman!!!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Veronica Mars was a great show, too bad I didn't get into it until it was almost in the grave. And I'm not the least bit ashamed to say I loved Gilmore Girls. At least before the last two or three seasons anyway...

icapants

Postby icapants » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:58 pm

John wrote:Big Love

I saw the first season - it's a good show. Maybe now that I have a little extra time, I'll catch myself up.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:17 pm

Dear lord, Brutalful, you should really be a professional tv watcher. You must seriously watch a day job's worth of tv every week!

Sorry sour, she wins.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:02 am

grant wrote:I'm also just into the second season of The Wire, which is taking interesting turns.

Don't let season 2 taking a turn shove you away (as it did for a few). It's a slight detour, but still awesome.

Return to “Cattywampus”